Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Trustmaster HOTAS + TrackIR or VR?
Trustmaster HOTAS 43 51.19%
VR! 41 48.81%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #31
Strong05

All of the problems you mentioned have been much improved if not completely nullified by the latest gen headsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
Go TrackIR+HOTAS

VR is very immersive, but at the moment it is a struggle. Performance, clarity, ergonomics... it is the future no doubt, I still use my CV1 every now and then. But flying the A-10C will require good spotting of ground targets. Low level flight impacts performance. It is a very technical aircraft, you need to see displays clearly aswell as a truckload of buttons, switches and labels in the cockpit.

Id say start with TIR+HOTAS, you will have a much easier time to get a grip of the aircraft and DCS. Down the line you can get a used (or new) VR headset.

I have a really good computer for VR, but it feels like it is always an uphill battle.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #32
eaglecash867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong05 View Post
All of the problems you mentioned have been much improved if not completely nullified by the latest gen headsets.
+1. I went from a CV1 to a Reverb and got an enormous boost in both clarity and performance. Supersampling and higher pixel density settings have proven to be the real performance killers, not the native resolution of the HMD.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #33
MegOhm_SD

Well both actually, at this point I still do both. Sometimes I just want to see all the eye candy in all its glory so I’ll hit up my 65” screen with TIR. I have no issues with TIR since using it forever, I have it fine tuned and reliable.

Then there is the immersion factor of VR. (Oculus-S). I have no issues spotting.
So yeah, both for me which is not a choice, so no vote.
It is not the same results for all, there is the hardware factor

Errrr... funky poll

Thing is....Zuckerberg is definitely an Alien... Some Kind of Grey Hybrid

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 65" Samsung 4k 8 Series, Oculus S, Win 10

Last edited by MegOhm_SD; 10-09-2019 at 05:39 PM.
MegOhm_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #34
USMC_Trev

TrackIR has been relegated to Arma3 duties since it's not a VR game, otherwise it would never see use. VR+Warthog HOTAS all day every day wouldn't fly without it.

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.3, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10

Last edited by USMC_Trev; 10-09-2019 at 10:35 PM.
USMC_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #35
nessuno0505

You can go VR and hotas without selling a kidney:

- Oculus Rift S: € 450
- Thrustmaster T.16000m flight pack (with rudder pedals): € 200
- Voiceattack software (in order to use voice commands instead of the keyboard): € 10
- A mouse: € 0 (I think you already have one)
Total: € 660.

Not bad to play VR with all you need, without significant compromises.

Nevertheless, maybe the a-10c is not the best module to play VR, since the cockpit is quite outdated; you probably will have to wait for the announced cockpit overhaul in order to get the best out of the a-10c in VR.

P.S. since the poll is between VR and the warthog, I want to say something about the t.16000 pack: the stick has the same sensors and mechanics of the warthog; yes it's plastic and not metal, and it is frankly uglier, but if you fly VR you don't see it, so who cares? Maybe the buttons layout is a bit worst than the warthog, but with some good assignments and a modifier you can play a-10c with no problems. The only real drawback is the single throttle. The good part is that it costs less than a half warthog, and you have pedals too.

Last edited by nessuno0505; 10-09-2019 at 10:43 PM.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #36
Chump

I recently got a WH (and would never go back). I upgraded from an X52 (non pro), along with Saitek rudders which have been serving me fine for over a decade. I don't have the largest monitor. I immerse myself into DCS using TIR (4 even). I would probably love VR, and my PC would probably appreciate the usage it was made for. Unfortunately, I have hesitations. I wear glasses. I sweat. I don't have the ability to stand long periods. How is VR for those of us that have everything going on that VR doesn't address yet? I heard that you can get prescription lenses, and mod fans into the headsets (not talking about any VR in particular, just listening). I want something that is flushed out for everyone. I just figured that it would be a few more years before it got anywhere near usable for me. Am I right on that, or am I buying into rumors and scare tactics from the TIR guys (joke)?
Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #37
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
I recently got a WH (and would never go back). I upgraded from an X52 (non pro), along with Saitek rudders which have been serving me fine for over a decade. I don't have the largest monitor. I immerse myself into DCS using TIR (4 even). I would probably love VR, and my PC would probably appreciate the usage it was made for. Unfortunately, I have hesitations. I wear glasses. I sweat.
The Rift CV1 was not a great fit over glasses. The Rift S fits easier over the glasses but still snug... contacts are best for use with the Rift imo.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #38
Ginsu80

Been playing DCS since Black Shark, lugged a laptop and Warthog HOTAS around Iraq while working as a contractor. 5 mins of VR with a Rift S and I was sold, I'll never go back.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #39
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
- Thrustmaster T.16000m flight pack (with rudder pedals): € 200
...Not bad to play VR with all you need, without significant compromises...
I have to disagree. It is significant compromise esp. for someone who can afford VR (and a capable PC). I would consider T16000 line a budget one of rather poor quality. Using it myself I confirm that it is totally playable and still much better than cheaper HOTAS X but not of a quality one would expect. ?:
- day one mod - cut the wires that light the leds whenever you move the stick (terrible at night, in VR you don't see it probably)
- after a month had to disassemble because of twitching axis of rudder paddles (common problem often with stick twist axis)
- throttle movement is not smooth at all (jumpy)
- very sticky/stiff centre of the stick
- no stick force adjustment
- not comfortable big trigger and poor quality button on the base of the stick
- stick may be is of similar to WH technology but has much lower resolution - 16k vs 65k
- pedals (don't have it) are very close to each other and lack the range for any precise movement

Sorry for OT, but I wouldn't go into VR with low-end hardware.

Last edited by draconus; 10-10-2019 at 07:40 AM.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #40
nessuno0505

I do not agree. If you have had problems with your t.16000 axis maybe you had a faulty unit and I'm sorry, but my axes are perfect. You do not see leds in VR (and all that green on the warthog can displease too); a bit of grease on the throttle and you're ok (not to say as It Is stiffer you can put It vertically and use It as a collective and It does not slide just with gravity); the stick spring is a bit softer than the warthog, but this is an advantage rather than a disadvantage expecially for rotary wings; the trigger Is Just One stage but It works, base Stick buttons are not so ergonomic, that's true; I can't Say nothing about Stick resolution as It Is something I do not know; pedals are a bit close together but I use them with copters with no problems. It Is up to you to choose if what warthog has more (It has something more over the t.16000) Is worth a more than doubled price, to have a system perfect only for a-10c but pleonastic and redundant if you fly korea era jets, rotary wings, f-5 and mig-21, warbirds, etc.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote