Sea Dragon Campaign - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
75th-VFS-Striker

DCS campaign missions have absolutely nothing to do with realism or "Ramboing" as you put it. In fact they couldn't be any further from anything bearing anything close to real. They are meant to be fun and a learning experience. When the AI constantly fail to do their job you lose all sense of any accomplishment. The mission should function in a way that requires the player to have a certain level of proficiency to complete the task at hand while relying on the AI to accomplish their job with their built in level of proficiency. When they fail to do that it becomes an exercise in beating your head against a wall and forces players to give up thinking that they are not doing something right.

I played the mission close to a dozen times and the AI FAILED to do their job every time. I had to change the conditions slightly to get them to complete their task. What Panthera is saying is that it was a complete fluke that they were actually able to complete their task. My point from the get go is that for this to be a fun exercise you should not have to do a mission a dozen times hoping that the AI are able to finish the job. It should work the first time as constructed as long as the human player does their job right within some narrow conditions like not calling in the SEAD or the Strike package too late or too early.

I know for a fact (self included in the past before I really understood the DCS mission construction) that people have given up on campaigns because of a missions failure to function correctly. I also know that some of these are very old campaigns and I was only posting this to give people some perspective on what it is like to go back and do some of them for the first time. I want others to understand that it's not their fault when they fail under circumstances like this, nothing more. I wasn't bashing the campaign in general and I know that they will probably never get changed or at least not soon. But if they are going to continue to distribute them with stuff like FC3 or however they're distributed or provided then people should know that there are some downsides to them. That's the only point I was trying to get across.

In other words, it's one thing if you are failing the mission, but a whole other problem if the mission is failing you.
32 GB Memory
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Last edited by 75th-VFS-Striker; 05-27-2019 at 12:53 AM.
75th-VFS-Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #12
draconus

You say nothing new. We know the problems that come with these missions.
Users rarely come here for help but when they do - they get helped. How many just read the forum - we don't know.

I am all into fixing them - as a player you should do your tasks well and expect the mission to be successful.

Want to really help - send your notes to MadDog-IC about particular missions and what exactly should be changed for them to work and offer your time to exhaustively test the missions.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
MadDog-IC
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75th-VFS-Striker View Post
Yes, it is impossible the way it's currently designed. I would really like to see ED fix the minor problems and redo the VO if possible.
I feel I need to comment, but will try to keep it brief, but I vary rarely do.

When I corrected this campaign along with some others, they had no voice overs what so ever.

I have a crap voice and choose to do them with computer voice overs (I dislike them as much as anyone and would like them re-done) but I would rather have them than nothing at all. They were more of a placeholder than anything and I hoped that ED might re-do the voice overs with voice actors at a later stage, after all it is very easy to implement new sounds with the infrastructure all ready there in the mission editor to play the sounds.

As for downing the USA carrier, it use to all work perfectly in DCS 1.2, 1.5 and then with 2.5 a few things changed:
  1. The ships seemed a whole lot stronger and impervious to missile damage.
  2. The ships Anti-Aircraft and missile defenses become much more efficient at taking out incoming SEAD and Anti-Ship missiles.
  3. SEAD and Anti-Ship missiles themselves inflicted less damage and would track off target and miss the boats altogether for no perceivable reason.
  4. There is always a element of luck when doing most missions, it doesn't always go to plan, timing and having all SEAD and Anti-Ship aircraft attack at same time to over whelm the enemy ship, if one aircraft is lost you can't win (Not saying you don't have some valid points), it is always difficult to gauge the hardness of a mission, quite often some flyers will say it is impossible, others will say they found it to easy.
Considering the amount of time I had already spend fixing the whole campaign once in DCS 1.2, 1.5 and now in DCS 2.5, with the last two missions particulary and then constantly doing work arounds to contend with all the issues that keep creeping into the missions, I got to the point of it working fairly consistently, but the SEAD and Anti-Ship were so in accurate, the even if they did make it through the ships defenses, they veered off the target a few meters from impact.

I left it at that state under the assumption that ED would fix the SEAD and Anti-ship missiles eventually and the missions would work even more reliably, I haven't re-tested wether they have or not.

Re: My versions on USER Files and ED DCS released versions of missions

Whilst ED have used quite a lot of my revisions of campaigns and missions, it has never been a sure thing they will. Also due to recent events, they may be using them less in DCS and even removing some of my versions currently in DCS altogether and replacing with updates from else where.

Regards, Ian.
Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, ATI 5870 (Until GPU's come down), Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

Last edited by MadDog-IC; 05-27-2019 at 07:59 AM.
MadDog-IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #14
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog-IC View Post
Whilst ED have used quite a lot of my revisions of campaigns and missions, it has never been a sure thing they will. Also due to recent events, they may be using them less in DCS and even removing some of my versions currently in DCS altogether and replacing with updates from else where.
What events?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
MadDog-IC
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
What events?
It became apparent here that change is on the horizon, but there is much more to it, which I am not going into, it is more of a disappointment that some of the missions I did weren't expanded on.

"Sorry about the link - can't show you that one, I thought it was an announcement thread, but it wasn't"

Other author has said he will be trying to implement some of my work if he can in the future, I am sure his missions and alterations will be much better in general.

I wish ED and all the team all the best as always.

Regards, Ian.
Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, ATI 5870 (Until GPU's come down), Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

Last edited by MadDog-IC; 05-27-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate Link
MadDog-IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
draconus

Thx Ian for clarification and news.

Last edited by draconus; 05-27-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #17
75th-VFS-Striker

Quote:
You say nothing new.............
Maybe not, but I say it for the new.

Quote:
Want to really help - send your notes to MadDog-IC about particular missions and what exactly should be changed for them to work and offer your time to exhaustively test the missions.
I will say as I please, when and where I please to say it.
32 GB Memory
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Last edited by 75th-VFS-Striker; 05-27-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
75th-VFS-Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog-IC View Post
I feel I need to comment, but will try to keep it brief, but I vary rarely do.
Thank you for your response and description of the problems. I knew it was changes to the AI since previous versions. And I know under the circumstances that it's very difficult to keep everything working as advertised but please do what you can because it is a very good campaign.
32 GB Memory
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Last edited by 75th-VFS-Striker; 05-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #19
alboon2000

Hi,

I have a problem in mission 7 (I think it's 7 ; it's the one in which I have to destroy a convoy of 4 transport vehicles near the train station).

I had several times the "good work you can RTB" message (either with damages on my plane or 100% intact), but each time I land on the Kuznetsov I don't get the "glad to have you back" message and my score is only 50. So I can't do the next mission.

Any idea ?
Thank you !

Last edited by alboon2000; 10-12-2019 at 02:22 PM.
alboon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote