Valve Index Hands On - Page 75 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #741
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Steam is always active whenever you run SteamVR. Just go to task manager and check the background processes, it will be there. There are also a lot of others things running as hidden background processes that could bog down your system when running DCS.

You can bypass Steam GUI by starting SteamVR manually, but the entire Steam framework will still run in the background.
Yep, that's what I think, but a couple of guys here seem to think differently.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #742
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
I just got an interesting message from Steam support. Here's the interesting bit:

I am outside the normal window for a refund - but they offered anyway, which is generous. However, I have opted for getting a replacement once they have improved the issue (if they do).

Maybe this just means they will physically check the headsets they send out for replacemnt with this particular issue. Still, it's a big step forward from "this is normal & expected".
Well my Index saga much like yours remains in-progress and I apparently did not win the Device lottery. Replacement (RMA’d due to a cluster of dead pixels) headset arrived yesterday and while there are no dead pixels I’m seeing first hand the vertical line issue (now deemed “pixel inversion” I see?). So I’m not sure they’re physically checking headsets prior to sending out...at least not yet. Having had a headset w/o the issue (and dead pixels notwithstanding) and now having one that does I would offer the strong opinion that visual quality is definitely compromised by the issue and worth keeping your support/return/replacement/refund options active. I won’t accept that it’s “Normal & expected” for a $1000 kit.

It sounds as though there’s some hope it’s resolvable - granted it’s based on the cryptic statement in those support messages - so I’m going to hold on to mine for the remaining 2 weeks of my 30 day return window... hopefully there’s a bit more info made public soon.

Total bummer as it really is a pleasure to put it on after playing with the Rift S for the past week. Not bashing the Rift at all but the comfort and adjustability of the Index (for my IPD) is just a real step up...Argh....
Old 08-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #743
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Well I've explained it at least twice, but whatever. Don't really care.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #744
imacken
Veteran

Guys, I’ve got an audio issue. The left speaker cuts out if I slightly move either the headset angle or the plastic bit the speaker is attached to.
Any easy fix ideas before I return it?
Thanks.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #745
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwhitey View Post
Well my Index saga much like yours remains in-progress and I apparently did not win the Device lottery. Replacement (RMA’d due to a cluster of dead pixels) headset arrived yesterday and while there are no dead pixels I’m seeing first hand the vertical line issue (now deemed “pixel inversion” I see?). So I’m not sure they’re physically checking headsets prior to sending out...at least not yet. Having had a headset w/o the issue (and dead pixels notwithstanding) and now having one that does I would offer the strong opinion that visual quality is definitely compromised by the issue and worth keeping your support/return/replacement/refund options active. I won’t accept that it’s “Normal & expected” for a $1000 kit.

It sounds as though there’s some hope it’s resolvable - granted it’s based on the cryptic statement in those support messages - so I’m going to hold on to mine for the remaining 2 weeks of my 30 day return window... hopefully there’s a bit more info made public soon.

Total bummer as it really is a pleasure to put it on after playing with the Rift S for the past week. Not bashing the Rift at all but the comfort and adjustability of the Index (for my IPD) is just a real step up...Argh....
That's a shame - sorry to hear that. At least, as you say, it would seem that they are working on it and seem fairly confident that they'll be able to do something about it. The key, of course, is to make sure you make it clear to support that it is adversely affecting your experience and that you're not happy with it.

No reason why they shouldn't make you the same offer as they did me.

I don't think it will be a quick fix, though, so we'll probably have to be patient.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #746
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
If you close Steam the standard way, clicking on the X, it just minimizes and puts an icon in the systray.
You have to right click that icon and select exit.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #747
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
If you close Steam the standard way, clicking on the X, it just minimizes and puts an icon in the systray.
You have to right click that icon and select exit.
Yes, that is correct Don, but after exiting Steam via that method, whenever you start SteamVR, the first thing that happens is all Steam services start up again.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #748
imacken
Veteran

Just noticed a button on the underside of the Index. What does it actually do? When I have the headset on, nothing happens when I press it!
Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #749
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Guys, I’ve got an audio issue. The left speaker cuts out if I slightly move either the headset angle or the plastic bit the speaker is attached to.
Any easy fix ideas before I return it?
Thanks.
So, I removed the whole left audio leg and speaker and then reseated them. Everything OK now!
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #750
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Just noticed a button on the underside of the Index. What does it actually do? When I have the headset on, nothing happens when I press it!
OK, I now realise that a double press brings up the camera. Duh!