Valve Index Hands On - Page 74 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #731
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Do you have anything running in the background that could interfere with laser detection such as TrackIR?
Not intentionally, certainly no TrackIR, long term VR user on that PC. it has run a CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax5K & Reverb so far.
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #732
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Not quite - I used to think so, too, but recently have found two instances where it wasn't (and I stopped using OpenComposite, so that's not why).

These instances are when I am running two simulators which use SteamVR, but are not installed on Steam. You could say the Steam service is running, I suppose, but I'm not logged in and can't access anything in Steam whilst they are running.

It was for this that I was considering using fpsVR and that's why I was asking if Steam needed to be open.

I'm already not happy about how much opens and runs when I'm in VR - SteamVR (necessary, of course) Steam, and now Oculus seems to open every time - even when I'm running something installed on Steam - and if I switch Home off, the game/app closes, too. It's ridiculous. This happens every time I run DCS World - taking away vital resources. No wonder it's so difficult to get decent performance. I don't have DCS World in Steam.

Wondering if Revive is responsible for that.
Yeah back when I ran another game through Steam VR as it did not have native Oculus support, I never ran the Steam program, just Steam VR. Course I had to run Steam to get Steam VR installed, but after that just Steam VR. I now use Open Composite for that program.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #733
imacken
Veteran

I'm a little confused by this, guys.
If I disable Steam temporarily - stop all services, etc. - and run SteamVR, then the first thing it does is startup Steam services in the background to check my account.
It doesn't bother me as I have a lot of stuff on Steam, and the Steam client overhead is small and very efficient.
However, I would be interested to know how you guys are running SteamVR without Steam.
On the fpsVR question, I guess the answer is no it can't run without Steam as the licence would have to be checked against your Steam account.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #734
Alec Delorean

@imacken

Don't get confused. dburne's comment is about oculus users trying to bypass SteamVR. Not helping much in a Valve Index thread. The problem he describes comes from another direction, how DCS hooks in each of the different VR runtimes. Check your /bin folder, there is no LibOVRxx.dll there, because DCS uses systems (Windows) link to it's installation path. If DCS is started it first checks if LibOVR is present and after that it looks for OpenVR connections. For example, that's why the PD value of DCS is directly connected to Oculus's PD value, but for SteamVR (OpenVR) it's an additional SS multiplier. This is the reason why people run into trouble if both systems are installed in the OS, DCS finds LibOVR first and triggers it, regardless which HMD they are currently using.

Last edited by Alec Delorean; 08-10-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #735
Brixmis

I just got an interesting message from Steam support. Here's the interesting bit:

Quote:
Some amount of the behavior is expected, but not to the extent that is is disruptive. We understand not everyone's experiences match this expectation.

Consequently, our engineers are currently looking at software adjustments that should improve this behavior across the board. If you'd still like to be refunded, I'll be happy to start that process for you. We can also send you a replacement so that you can see what you think about the changes when they are ready. I realize you've already shipped back your unit, but we can work around that if necessary. Let us know your preference.
I am outside the normal window for a refund - but they offered anyway, which is generous. However, I have opted for getting a replacement once they have improved the issue (if they do).

Maybe this just means they will physically check the headsets they send out for replacemnt with this particular issue. Still, it's a big step forward from "this is normal & expected".
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #736
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I'm a little confused by this, guys.
If I disable Steam temporarily - stop all services, etc. - and run SteamVR, then the first thing it does is startup Steam services in the background to check my account.
It doesn't bother me as I have a lot of stuff on Steam, and the Steam client overhead is small and very efficient.
However, I would be interested to know how you guys are running SteamVR without Steam.
On the fpsVR question, I guess the answer is no it can't run without Steam as the licence would have to be checked against your Steam account.
The Steam service starts, but not the Steam client. I can't access anything in Steam unless I elect to do so, at which point the client starts up via SteamVR.

So I can't do any admin or download anything etc. This is whilst using a couple of flight sims which I had mentioned, but will probably end up getting the post deleted (even though it's not comparing anything - but had this happen in the past, so...) that use SteamVR but have their own installers and otherwise run independent of Steam.

As soon as I have my Rift CV1 set up on my other PC, I'll be uninstalling Home and everything to do with Oculus on this PC, because it's just silly having everything running at the same time when I use Index.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #737
Brixmis

Sorry for the triple post - addressing different things, but didn't want a huge one-stop half a page thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick33 View Post
Not intentionally, certainly no TrackIR, long term VR user on that PC. it has run a CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax5K & Reverb so far.
If I were you, I would contact Steam support and send them the SteamVR log so they can see what's what. They can take a couple of days, but they are usually pretty good once they get going.

Otherwise, we could sit here speculating all day long.

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #738
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Sorry for the triple post - addressing different things, but didn't want a huge one-stop half a page thing!

If I were you, I would contact Steam support and send them the SteamVR log so they can see what's what. They can take a couple of days, but they are usually pretty good once they get going.

Otherwise, we could sit here speculating all day long.
Yeh, I sent it off yesterday, see what happens!
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #739
Supmua

Default Valve Index Hands On

Steam is always active whenever you run SteamVR. Just go to task manager and check the background processes, it will be there. There are also a lot of others things running as hidden background processes that could bog down your system when running DCS.

You can bypass Steam GUI by starting SteamVR manually, but the entire Steam framework will still run in the background.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-10-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #740
Baldrick33

A Windows reinstall did the trick to get the Index working, reinstalling DCS now