Valve Index Hands On - Page 73 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #721
Supmua

SteamVR is a different beast compared to Oculus platform, soft of like PC vs Mac system--one requires a bit of tinkering and one does not. You kind of need to understand how it works and because it supports wide range of hardware, the default settings unlike Oculus, will not give you optimal performance.

Here are some steps that I recommend to get the most out of your Index.

INITIAL SETTINGS:
1. Disable all extra extensions or background apps that you don't need.
2. Run SteamVR and go to Video tab.
3. Set refresh rate as needed depending on how strong your PC is, we will aim for half of that in terms of fps with DCS. If you have 9900K/2080Ti 120Hz/60 fps will be your target (you will likely see 40 fps on the ground or busy area which is OK--the targeted fps will be a factor of 2 or 3 lower than the screen refresh). For PC with lower power aim for either 80/40/27 or 90/45/30.
3. I recommend leaving motion smoothing on because it works well enough and prevent screen tearing/juddering.
4. Scroll down to Application Resolution and Enable custom resolution set it at 100% (2016x2240--This is 1.4x of the Index screen resolution, needed to correct for geometric distortion and wrapping).
5. Run DCS and turn on FPS counter (RCTRL-PAUSE in my case).
6. Go to settings/System, choose VR Preset for now.
7. Go to VR tab and set PD to 1.0. Your can force IPD setting to an arbitrary number which dictates how large the cockpit is (I use 55 for the Hornet).

So this will be the most basic VR set up for now. Go into an instant mission (I use Hornet Free flight in Caucasus) and fly around and observe your FPS, of course we're not gonna stop here since this is far from optimal but it will give you an indication of what the Index is capable of at the default resolution and VR settings.

SECONDARY SETTINGS:
I like Texture:high, Terrain:high, Water:high, since these affect overall image fidelity but can reduce FPS depending on your CPU/GPU. Set shadows to Flat only if you want extra performance. I also like Gamma at 1.8. If you want to minimize shimmering then turn on MSSA 2x but note that this will affect FPS quite and bit and you need to quit out of DCS and run it again to see the change in FPS (typically fools people into thinking that it doesn't affect performance).

SUPERSAMPLING:
Since the VR resolution is still crappy when your eyes are right next to the screens, we rely on supersampling to increase image sharpness and decrease artifacts. MSSA 2x is sort of supersampling but it works mostly on the edge of the image and increases blurriness so I didn't include it here. This step is my last one to do since it will vary depending on your CPU and GPU's power. There are 2 ways to do this. Either via DCS PD setting or SteamVR's Custom Resolution, do not use both. Everytime you adjust supersampling you must quit out of DCS and restart the game to see the correct effect and FPS. I would start by increasing the number a bit, quit DCS and run it and check FPS. Basically increase it until you start dropping below the desired FPS in the game.

DCS PD setting:
You can adjust this in VR tab. PD 1.5 means 1.5x of resolution in both vertical and horizontal. The default Index resolution that we just set in SteamVR is 2016x2240, so the final rendering resolution will be 3024x3360 pixels with PD 1.5.

SteamVR Custom resolution:
You need to have DCS running in the background to do this. ALT-TAB to SteamVR Settings (may have to hit ALT-CTRL-DEL/task manager/ALT-TAB if DCS won't let you). Go to Applications tab, make sure DCS.exe is selected and adjust your resolution of choice. The percentage here is the overall pixels which is different from PD setting in DCS. For example, for the Index, SteamVR CS of 225% is equivalent to DCS PD 1.5--which is rather high for most people. --For folks that run PD 1.8 or 2.0, I can only shake my head and smile--more power to you.

I hope this clears things up for most people. Optimizing your setup for VR isn't that hard but can be a tedius process, and don't expect miracles as VR's FPS will never be as good as non-VR--this applies to image fidelity as well, at least for now.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #722
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
SteamVR is a different beast compared to Oculus platform, soft of like PC vs Mac system--one requires a bit of tinkering and one does not. You kind of need to understand how it works and because it supports wide range of hardware, the default settings unlike Oculus, will not give you optimal performance.

Here are some steps that I recommend to get the most out of your Index.

INITIAL SETTINGS:
1. Disable all extra extensions or background apps that you don't need.
2. Run SteamVR and go to Video tab.
3. Set refresh rate as needed depending on how strong your PC is, we will aim for half of that in terms of fps with DCS. If you have 9900K/2080Ti 120Hz/60 fps will be your target (you will likely see 40 fps on the ground or busy area which is OK--the targeted fps will be a factor of 2 or 3 lower than the screen refresh). For PC with lower power aim for either 80/40/27 or 90/45/30.
3. I recommend leaving motion smoothing on because it works well enough and prevent screen tearing/juddering.
4. Scroll down to Application Resolution and Enable custom resolution set it at 100% (2016x2240--This is 1.4x of the Index screen resolution, needed to correct for geometric distortion and wrapping).
5. Run DCS and turn on FPS counter (RCTRL-PAUSE in my case).
6. Go to settings/System, choose VR Preset for now.
7. Go to VR tab and set PD to 1.0. Your can force IPD setting to an arbitrary number which dictates how large the cockpit is (I use 55 for the Hornet).

So this will be the most basic VR set up for now. Go into an instant mission (I use Hornet Free flight in Caucasus) and fly around and observe your FPS, of course we're not gonna stop here since this is far from optimal but it will give you an indication of what the Index is capable of at the default resolution and VR settings.

SECONDARY SETTINGS:
I like Texture:high, Terrain:high, Water:high, since these affect overall image fidelity but can reduce FPS depending on your CPU/GPU. Set shadows to Flat only if you want extra performance. I also like Gamma at 1.8. If you want to minimize shimmering then turn on MSSA 2x but note that this will affect FPS quite and bit and you need to quit out of DCS and run it again to see the change in FPS (typically fools people into thinking that it doesn't affect performance).

SUPERSAMPLING:
Since the VR resolution is still crappy when your eyes are right next to the screens, we rely on supersampling to increase image sharpness and decrease artifacts. MSSA 2x is sort of supersampling but it works mostly on the edge of the image and increases blurriness so I didn't include it here. This step is my last one to do since it will vary depending on your CPU and GPU's power. There are 2 ways to do this. Either via DCS PD setting or SteamVR's Custom Resolution, do not use both. Everytime you adjust supersampling you must quit out of DCS and restart the game to see the correct effect and FPS. I would start by increasing the number a bit, quit DCS and run it and check FPS. Basically increase it until you start dropping below the desired FPS in the game.

DCS PD setting:
You can adjust this in VR tab. PD 1.5 means 1.5x of resolution in both vertical and horizontal. The default Index resolution that we just set in SteamVR is 2016x2240, so the final rendering resolution will be 3024x3360 pixels with PD 1.5.

SteamVR Custom resolution:
You need to have DCS running in the background to do this. ALT-TAB to SteamVR Settings (may have to hit ALT-CTRL-DEL/task manager/ALT-TAB if DCS won't let you). Go to Applications tab, make sure DCS.exe is selected and adjust your resolution of choice. The percentage here is the overall pixels which is different from PD setting in DCS. For example, for the Index, SteamVR CS of 225% is equivalent to DCS PD 1.5--which is rather high for most people. --For folks that run PD 1.8 or 2.0, I can only shake my head and smile--more power to you.

I hope this clears things up for most people. Optimizing your setup for VR isn't that hard but can be a tedius process, and don't expect miracles as VR's FPS will never be as good as non-VR--this applies to image fidelity as well, at least for now.
All good advice. The only 2 things I would say, is always use fpsVR to monitor fps and frametimes. Two reasons, firstly, it gives you lots of useful info, and secondly, as it follows your head, it avoids the issue in DCS of the ctrl-puase fps always being in the top left corner and having to look up there usually means looking at the sky and you don't get a realistic value at all times. fpsVR is one of the most useful tools in VR. It is very useful seeing frame times, as I get a pretty consistent 15-18ms, which although shows as 45fps is actually equivalent to 55-65.
The other comment I would make is that I found I have a solid 45fps @90Hz, but going to 120Hz saw pretty much 40fps all the time which didn't look as good. Too much reprojection.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #723
Brixmis

I bought it when I got the Index but haven't used it so far.

Is it possible to use it when SteamVR is active, but Steam itself is not?
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #724
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
I bought it when I got the Index but haven't used it so far.

Is it possible to use it when SteamVR is active, but Steam itself is not?
Are you talking about fpsVR? If so, then Steam is always active when you are running SteamVR. You may not see the UI but it’s always open. It has to be to access your account etc.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #725
Nahemoth

I have just ordered my valve index, and I am wondering where I should install the two base stations... is there any specific location for flight simulators?
Nahemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #726
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Are you talking about fpsVR? If so, then Steam is always active when you are running SteamVR. You may not see the UI but it’s always open. It has to be to access your account etc.
Not quite - I used to think so, too, but recently have found two instances where it wasn't (and I stopped using OpenComposite, so that's not why).

These instances are when I am running two simulators which use SteamVR, but are not installed on Steam. You could say the Steam service is running, I suppose, but I'm not logged in and can't access anything in Steam whilst they are running.

It was for this that I was considering using fpsVR and that's why I was asking if Steam needed to be open.

I'm already not happy about how much opens and runs when I'm in VR - SteamVR (necessary, of course) Steam, and now Oculus seems to open every time - even when I'm running something installed on Steam - and if I switch Home off, the game/app closes, too. It's ridiculous. This happens every time I run DCS World - taking away vital resources. No wonder it's so difficult to get decent performance. I don't have DCS World in Steam.

Wondering if Revive is responsible for that.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #727
Baldrick33

Got my Index and can't get it to detect on my gaming PC (Headset not detected 108 error).

So I bought an Inateck USB card but still doesn't work (my Reverb works fine)

I have tried the headset on my other PC and it works but runs DCS like a dog so not much of a test.

Tried loads of fixes (resetting SteamVR USB devices), every USB port, every Displayport, updated MB BIOS all to no avail.

Very frustrating!
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #728
Brixmis

Don't give up on the connections you already tried. I've had the headset not detected error twice, and chose another socket and it worked - later retried the one that hadn't worked and lo and behold it was working - so it can be a bit finicky.

Also found that it's not always down to the USB. Once I unplugged the G-port and replugged it and it cleared the error.

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #729
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Don't give up on the connections you already tried. I've had the headset not detected error twice, and chose another socket and it worked - later retried the one that hadn't worked and lo and behold it was working - so it can be a bit finicky.

Also found that it's not always down to the USB. Once I unplugged the G-port and replugged it and it cleared the error.
I have tried every USB and Displayport, even unplugged every other USB device. Pulled apart the breakaway many times, nothing
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #730
Supmua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick33 View Post
Got my Index and can't get it to detect on my gaming PC (Headset not detected 108 error).

So I bought an Inateck USB card but still doesn't work (my Reverb works fine)

I have tried the headset on my other PC and it works but runs DCS like a dog so not much of a test.

Tried loads of fixes (resetting SteamVR USB devices), every USB port, every Displayport, updated MB BIOS all to no avail.

Very frustrating!

Do you have anything running in the background that could interfere with laser detection such as TrackIR?

Try trashing SteamVR setting file also. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings, and just delete the whole SteamVR app/folder and reinstall it again.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-09-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote