Valve Index Hands On - Page 72 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #711
Brixmis

Absolutely - people have been saying they've done this and others have been unable to see anything.

Which kind of puts the dampener on hopes for a 'fix'.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #712
imacken
Veteran

At last, my Index arrived after about 3 months of pre-order!
Compared to my Vive Pro and my experience of the Reverb, I am very impressed.
Initial feelings:
Good -
1) best audio of any headset I have tried by a mile
2) high quality feel to all the components, unlike the Reverb
3) very comfortable
4) same excellent hardware IPD as on the Vive Pro
5) like the adjustment for lens proximity to increase FOV. Even with glasses on, I was almost at the max.
6) hugely reduced SDE cf VP
7) very smooth feel to the 120Hz
greatly increased sweet spot cf VP and Reverb
9) excellent image quality and dynamic range. Not quite as good as the OLED of the VP, but way better than the Reverb.

Not so good:
1) no big increase in cockpit res but seemed so much better on the terrain side due to reduced SDE etc.
2) no obvious way to adjust audio volume. VP has a nice on ear-volume control
3) God rays. Probably worse than the VP and Reverb, but in practice, no big deal
4) I do see the vertical lines that have been talked about here, but, again, in practice, it's not that big a deal. I may change my opinion on that, we'll see.

So, all good pretty much so far. I'll see if my impressions change over the next day or two, but at the moment, it looks like a keeper!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #713
Brixmis

Welcome to the club
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #714
imacken
Veteran

I should have added another pro over the Reverb, NO WMR!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
Old 08-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #715
Supmua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Absolutely - people have been saying they've done this and others have been unable to see anything.

Which kind of puts the dampener on hopes for a 'fix'.

I’m going to have my kids test my Index screens and see if they can see the artifacts. Just had my annual visual exams 2 days ago and everything was ok.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #716
RePhil

OK got my Index to-day can any one tell me the best settings I am only getting 40FPS and its a bit jerky my Rift was smooth I have an i9-9900 and 2080TI and also have 32 GB memory. Also at 120 refresh the green cross used to hover of things to click does not work but does get better FPS???

Last edited by RePhil; 08-09-2019 at 03:38 AM.
RePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #717
Brixmis

I wouldn't know whith that set-up - plenty of guys here have got kit closer to yours, so I'm sure someone can help you (or look back through the thread, maybe?).

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #718
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhil View Post
OK got my Index to-day can any one tell me the best settings I am only getting 40FPS and its a bit jerky my Rift was smooth I have an i9-9900 and 2080TI and also have 32 GB memory. Also at 120 refresh the green cross used to hover of things to click does not work but does get better FPS???
I presume the fact that you are getting 40fps means you're running at 120Hz.
Personally, I run it at 90Hz and get a solid 45fps with Motion Smoothing on which is fine.
Regarding SS, I have it at 204% in Steam, and a PD of 1.0 in game. In my experience, it is only SS/PD and MSAA that make any difference to fps.
Best just to mess around with settings and see what suits you. One thing, if you don't use fpsVR, then I highly recommend you install it. Invaluable for testing frame times, etc.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #719
Brixmis

The guy who reckons he has a solution to the vertical lines issue finally posted more details today. I was skeptical - and still am, in all honesty (I'm "TheOldGit" on Reddit):

Quote:
Sure, I'll go ahead and go in depth into how this issue occurs, and how to attempt to diagnose the issue.
  1. If you experience this issue in one or both eyes, viewing the lens from upside down should repair the issue. If it does, immediately the hardware issue becomes a software issue.
  2. On this step, once we've determined it's a software issue we need to find the key input that either the left, or right lens, or both, is connected to. So we need to open our SteamVR system report, and get the connection ID for both of them.
  3. Once the connection ID has been collected, you need to open developer tools for the SteamVR and OVR toolkits, and create a custom device setup for the Valve Index using the exact same properties (from the firmware you should have collected), except for a -180 offset applied to the offending eyes. Do not use a positive offset as the optical expansion process gets negated when positive like that. Additionally, you may want to adjust the pixel bias +/- 1 to the left/right to offset any flaring created by any mishaps in the manufacturing process.
If you have any issues creating a custom device, ie, SteamVR does not recognize the new firmware and you were unable to flash it, please go into Big Picture and reset the device and attempt to retry. Please remember any damage to your hardware would be your fault, and flashing your own custom firmware may void your warranty, and I am not held responsible for your actions.

In response to /u/LamerDelux, I never claimed to be working for Valve, nor did I say this was an issue with the graphics card. I'm here to help from personal experience.

I also don't recommend this as a permanent fix for anyone. As I said before, send your System report to Valve. /u/TheOldGit is correct, as this is not as easy as flashing new firmware because your headset would get specific firmware updates to it. There's no "identifier" between a good Index vs an affected Index, and so they just prefer an RMA and fixing the issue in-house.

Judge for yourself.

btw - LamerDelux has already tried viewing it upside down and the lines were still present.

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #720
remi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhil View Post
I'd like some help too because I have the same specs and the same terrible performance.