Valve Index Hands On - Page 70 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #691
nrosko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign.Vega View Post
Con's:
1. They sent me an HMD with a bright stuck sub-pixel in the right display visible on black background. Probably going to have to RMA.
2. Definite hit in colors/contrast/black levels going to LCD from OLED. Games just don't have the same "pop".
3. A little bit more motion smear with the LCD panels versus OLED.

I'm modding my Vive Pro with Odyssey+ panels and non-Fresnel lenses so it will be interesting to see which I like better in the end.
That sucks about the stuck pixel, i feel lucky i've not had pixel issues or the lines.

I notice the motion smear but thought it was just an issue of frame rates & shitty motion smoothing.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #692
Zoomer

Quote:
Got my Index kit in and been playing around.

Pro's:
1. HMD is comfortable, like the extra foam back-head pad.
2. Sound is good. Although not as good sound as my high end IEM's, it's still acceptable and not having anything in or on ones ear is super nice.
3. Although the resolution is the "same" as the Vive Pro, switching to RGB pixels from Pentile has made a nice little clarity bump. This is also resulted in slightly less screen door effect.
4. Liking 144 Hz smoothness.
5. Tracking seems extremely good with the new controllers.
6. The cable is quite a bit longer than my HP Reverb's which is nice.
7. Just slight improvement in perceivable FOV.
8. Controllers are better than the original Vive's, but I still have to get used to this weird angle that you have to point with.

Con's:
1. They sent me an HMD with a bright stuck sub-pixel in the right display visible on black background. Probably going to have to RMA.
2. Definite hit in colors/contrast/black levels going to LCD from OLED. Games just don't have the same "pop".

I'm modding my Vive Pro with Odyssey+ panels and non-Fresnel lenses so it will be interesting to see which I like better in the end.
Thinking about the Reverb myself. How much clearer is it over the index, and how wider is the fov vertically and horizontally in comparison. I would be mostly using it for dcs.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #693
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Got my Index kit in and been playing around.

Pro's:
1. HMD is comfortable, like the extra foam back-head pad.
2. Sound is good. Although not as good sound as my high end IEM's, it's still acceptable and not having anything in or on ones ear is super nice.
3. Although the resolution is the "same" as the Vive Pro, switching to RGB pixels from Pentile has made a nice little clarity bump. This is also resulted in slightly less screen door effect.
4. Liking 144 Hz smoothness.
5. Tracking seems extremely good with the new controllers.
6. The cable is quite a bit longer than my HP Reverb's which is nice.
7. Just slight improvement in perceivable FOV.
8. Controllers are better than the original Vive's, but I still have to get used to this weird angle that you have to point with.

Con's:

Hmm, just got a email to say my Index is about to be sent.
Your comments don't give me much hope of seeing a great improvement over my Vive Pro. Comments like a 'little more clarity', and a 'little less SDE' do not fill me with confidence.
I felt that the Reverb wasn't much better than my VP - the cons outweighted the pros IMO - so I sent it back. Hopefully, the same will not happne with the Index, but we'll see.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #694
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwhitey View Post
Speaking of disappointing (but not terribly surprising) support/returns Valve has instructed me to send back the defective Base Station and Index Headset PRIOR to them sending me replacements. Granted they did provide a pre-paid shipping label however I suspect I’ll be without an Index for at least a week+...

I’m REALLY hoping the 2 devices come back issue free..not sure I can stomach much more back & forth w Valve Support
I don't understand their policy about returns. From reading the RMA thread on Reddit, there doesn't seem to be any set circumstances that define when an advance replacement is sent, and when not. I thought it may have been dependent on the fault or specific issue being reported, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe it depends where you are - but I'm sure I've seen others in the US getting advance service.

Hope you get a decent replacement, anyway - we are paying enough for this gear, it needs to be working properly.

Quote:
Hope you feel better!
Thanks - I do feel better today, though totally knackered and eating just dry toast and bananas soon gets to you. Still can't game or use VR, though.

I reckon I'll be okay getting the return to the next town - got 2 weeks to return it since last Friday, so should be up & about by then.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #695
2blob2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blob2 View Post
Parts are in the machine and after much faffing all up and running. Will run some dcs tests over the weekend.

Also - If valve have got rid of the USB disconnect issue with an update that would be amazing!
So...didn’t do any real testing but has made all the difference to me so just enjoyed playing. Now running at 90hz 150SS msaa x2 Af x4, textures high, trees and grass up, shadows low. - this is online.

Had some ghosting and stutters low down but nothing that ruins things. Overall very happy and certainly won’t have to touch my pc for a few years now.

Once you iron out the kinks the index is a brilliant experience.

Also no more disconnects.
2blob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #696
Brixmis

Sorry if this has been covered - I just read yesterday on Reddit that Steam appears to have now accepted the issue with vertical lines needs addressing (rather than just sending out replacements which always end up having the same issue) and are looking into possible causes and fixes.

If accurate, this is excellent news and I would definitely hang on to my replacement headset - though I still haven't heard back from them myself.

btw - I've now got both Index and Rift CV1 set up on the same PC and having no issues. I only have the headset I'm currently using plugged in at one time. It does mean getting on my knees, crawling under a table and reaching round the back by feel, but not a big hassle under normal circumstances as I won't be doing it every day

Best of both worlds.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Last edited by Brixmis; 08-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #697
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
btw - I've now got both Index and Rift CV1 set up on the same PC and having no issues. I only have the headset I'm currently using plugged in at one time. It does mean getting on my knees, crawling under a table and reaching round the back by feel, but not a big hassle under normal circumstances as I won't be doing it every day
I am pretty sure you just need to disconnect the USB to render the device not found. So having a short USB extension that might be easier to switch between the headsets rather than fiddle around at the back of the PC. Just a thought!
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #698
Brixmis

Someone tested it extensively on the Oculus forum and got issues when they left any part of either headset connected.

In any case, if unplugging one, there is no time wasted in unplugging the other (my sockets are right next to each other - and I use the same USB socket for each headset)

Also, bearing in mind the current vertical lines issue , it's best to keep the Index as isolated as possible.

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Old 08-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #699
Brixmis

Support is now trying to tell all those people (and there are a lot) who have this issue that it is expected, normal behaviour - which is just pure rubbish, as I told them, as have others.

Anyway, I'm keeping my headset now - even with this issue, but told them if they do find a fix and it involves getting the headset replaced, then I expect them to replace my headset.

If I really try I can mostly ignore it - though it does really stand out in high contrast scenes.

Have a look at what this guy posted here (make the image full size to see it best):

https://i.imgur.com/gFWLDs0.png

Valve are just sending copy/paste replies to us now (like the one in my support ticket - see below) - they either don't realise or don't care how infuriating that is to those with this issue, but it's pretty much what I was expecting, at some stage.

https://i.postimg.cc/NF8C2qyP/steamvrindex.jpg

Onwards and upwards....

He says

edit: another little pointer:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b027365670333c

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Last edited by Brixmis; 08-06-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #700
Callsign.Vega

I think I am going back to using my IEM's. The over the ear speakers are decent but I need to turn them too loud to get the same effect and you don't get the bass of IEM's.
Callsign.Vega is offline   Reply With Quote