Valve Index Hands On - Page 69 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #681
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwhitey View Post
Do you know if your return window resets to 30 days with the new headset arrival OR are we still subject to only the original delivery date?
I don't know. I've just been reading some posts on Reddit where people say they were able to get a refund after having one or two replacements sent out, apparently Valve are not difficult where defective headsets and refunds are concerned.
One of them said he asked, just to make sure, if he would still be able to get a refund if his issue wasn't resolved and he was told he could - so might be an idea to do that yourself.

My headset has arrived - was surprised that they sent just the headset, I though it would be the entire kit, but that suits me.

However, the error is still prevalent in the replacement headset. It isn't quite as bad as in the first one, but nevertheless, it's there and obvious from the off.

If push comes to shove, I'll keep it, but I'm waiting to see what they have to say for themselves. This does look like a very common issue, and I've yet to see a single returnee getting a replacement where the issue was resolved.

In fact, that is the subject of a thread on Reddit - and no-one has been able to come up with a single case of a non-faulty headset being received after RMA. That leads me to think that the cause lies elsewhere, which is why I would be willing to keep the new one despite the fault.

Not good - but even so, this headset is just so impressive.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #682
TacoGrease

Had my Index for about 5 days now, and I’ve been comparing it side by side with the Rift S in VTOL VR, Onward, and Robo Recall.

Honestly, I just don’t get it. It’s maybe marginally better than Rift S, but certainly nothing special imo.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong lol?
2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts
Soon: VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy
- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]
Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D
TacoGrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #683
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrease View Post
Had my Index for about 5 days now, and I’ve been comparing it side by side with the Rift S in VTOL VR, Onward, and Robo Recall.

Honestly, I just don’t get it. It’s maybe marginally better than Rift S, but certainly nothing special imo.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong lol?
I've currently got the Rift S: it is a pretty good first impression for me using VR. I just got notification from Steam this morning that my Index preorder is ready for payment / shipping. I kinda figured what you just said... that for the extra £500 it would be a marginal upgrade on the S, plus the additional faf of having base stations in my room. I think I will pass. Quite happy to spend more to upgrade my VR, but it needs to be a clear upgrade not a marginal one. The technology seems to be moving so fast currently that I'd rather depreciate a £400 set over a year than a £1000 set over a year.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). T/M Warthog Throttle and grip, Virpil WarBRD base and WarBRD grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #684
Supmua

To each his own. If you can’t see or use any advantages of the Index which to me is numerous (physical IPD slider, wider FOV, edge to edge clarity, switchable screen refresh rate, positional audio, perfect tracking even in the dark, finger tracking, controllers that allows you to grab and throw things, and so on) then there is no reason to own or keep it.

Performance issue is partially due to the user’s error rather than the hardware which is excellent. Surely Valve could’ve done a better job on SteamVR’s default settings since auto-supersampling is not ideal for poorly optimized apps such as DCS, but if you know how things work it is not that hard to squeeze out the maximum performance.

Of all the latest headsets that just came out, the Rift S would actually be my last pick. And no I’m not alone in my opinion even though it seems to be so here in ED forums—look at reviews on various tech and VR sites as well as Amazon since the demographic is a bit more diverse.

Of course if you are not exactly sure what you are looking for in VR then the S is the safest choice since it is the cheapest one.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #685
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
To each his own.
Yeah. It is very positive that there is a choice of good products available in the market each catering to slightly different sensitivities and at different price points. From your list, I can see why you might want the Index. But - for example - seeing as my IPD is almost identical to the Rift S IPD, I don't need adjustable IPD. But I can totally understand why someone with different IPD would benefit from the Index.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). T/M Warthog Throttle and grip, Virpil WarBRD base and WarBRD grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #686
Supmua

Has anybody tried the Hornet TPOD with their Index yet? I’ve been messing around with it with my TV setup but have yet to try it in VR.

On the 4K TV, image quality from the CCD/FLIR is excellent but I don’t think it’ll be that good in VR. There has to be specific settings that can help optimize the images from the pod though (AA, PD, shadows etc.). No idea how much of an impact on FPS either. Lots of things to do, and I’m also working
this weekend :/
Old 08-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #687
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milou View Post
Yeah. It is very positive that there is a choice of good products available in the market each catering to slightly different sensitivities and at different price points. From your list, I can see why you might want the Index. But - for example - seeing as my IPD is almost identical to the Rift S IPD, I don't need adjustable IPD. But I can totally understand why someone with different IPD would benefit from the Index.
This is the sole reason I returned my Rift S and went for the Index - and now I have it I consider it a superior product, not just on account of the IPD issue.

I'm now, however, somewhat less impressed with Valve returns. Yes, they got the replacement to me in less than a week from me reporting an issue, but the return label they have sent me is for DHL, despite the Index having been delivered by Parcelforce (Royal Mail).

The nearest drop-off point for DHL is over 20 miles away, in another town, and yesterday I came down with food poisoning which has hit me pretty hard and there's no way I can drive anywhere (and I shouldn't have to).
The Parcel Force pick-up point is round the corner from my house, less than 100 yards away.

I pointed out to them how far away DHL are, but have yet to hear back.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #688
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
This is the sole reason I returned my Rift S and went for the Index - and now I have it I consider it a superior product, not just on account of the IPD issue.

I'm now, however, somewhat less impressed with Valve returns. Yes, they got the replacement to me in less than a week from me reporting an issue, but the return label they have sent me is for DHL, despite the Index having been delivered by Parcelforce (Royal Mail).

The nearest drop-off point for DHL is over 20 miles away, in another town, and yesterday I came down with food poisoning which has hit me pretty hard and there's no way I can drive anywhere (and I shouldn't have to).
The Parcel Force pick-up point is round the corner from my house, less than 100 yards away.

I pointed out to them how far away DHL are, but have yet to hear back.
That is a bummer for sure considering your present situation, coupled with the fact the replacement didn’t completely resolve your issue.

Speaking of disappointing (but not terribly surprising) support/returns Valve has instructed me to send back the defective Base Station and Index Headset PRIOR to them sending me replacements. Granted they did provide a pre-paid shipping label however I suspect I’ll be without an Index for at least a week+...

I’m REALLY hoping the 2 devices come back issue free..not sure I can stomach much more back & forth w Valve Support

Hope you feel better!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #689
Supmua

Got a chance to test the Index with the Hornet TPOD. Only flew for about an hour (my own Caucasus AG training mission) and there seemed to be no negative impact on FPS. I was able to get steady 60 FPS with my current settings. The image clarity off the TPOD is surprisingly pretty good. With the Index I don't have to turn my head to the right to check the DDI, since glancing doesn't result in blurriness like my other headsets. I have no trouble spotting/ID'ing ground targets (I'm using prescription lens insert, much better fit than my glasses comfort-wise and edge to edge clarity is really good).

The tips from Redkite's video work really well. Basically, you want low power wide zoom to search first (I used 1 or 2), then switch to narrow FOV and designate the target. I have no trouble operating the TPOD in VR with the Index, flying around targeting/lasing/bombing/firing laser MAV feels pretty natural. Slewing with Deltasim's mod is great but deadzones need to be increased to around 20 or the slew cursor can shift when TDC is depressed.

I'm actually equally impressed with the Thrustmaster F/A-18 grip, it makes things more immersive when you fly the Hornet since the buttons and switches are where you expect them to be. This grip seems a better fit for my spring-modded Warthog base than Virpil's WarBRD base, the handling feels really good and there is zero wobble when you let the stick go back to the center--release the stick softly and it just slides back to the center like butter, on the WarBRD this feels too springy for my taste (with this particular grip).

Last edited by Supmua; 08-03-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #690
Callsign.Vega

Got my Index kit in and been playing around.

Pro's:
1. HMD is comfortable, like the extra foam back-head pad.
2. Sound is good. Although not as good sound as my high end IEM's, it's still acceptable and not having anything in or on ones ear is super nice.
3. Although the resolution is the "same" as the Vive Pro, switching to RGB pixels from Pentile has made a nice little clarity bump. This is also resulted in slightly less screen door effect.
4. Liking 144 Hz smoothness.
5. Tracking seems extremely good with the new controllers.
6. The cable is quite a bit longer than my HP Reverb's which is nice.
7. Just slight improvement in perceivable FOV.
8. Controllers are better than the original Vive's, but I still have to get used to this weird angle that you have to point with.

Con's:
1. They sent me an HMD with a bright stuck sub-pixel in the right display visible on black background. Probably going to have to RMA.
2. Definite hit in colors/contrast/black levels going to LCD from OLED. Games just don't have the same "pop".
3. A little bit more motion smear with the LCD panels versus OLED.

I'm modding my Vive Pro with Odyssey+ panels and non-Fresnel lenses so it will be interesting to see which I like better in the end.
Callsign.Vega is offline   Reply With Quote