Valve Index Hands On - Page 68 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #671
RedX

Ok, so for Index, is it worth the extra cost to invest in 2080Ti or is regular 2080 sufficient? I think I would be switching my GTX series card for one or another. Has anyone recorded for example FPS or frame times with similar settings and conditions before and after switching from 2080 to 2080Ti? The price bump is quite something, about 500 € difference.
Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home
RedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #672
nightfalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedX View Post
Ok, so for Index, is it worth the extra cost to invest in 2080Ti or is regular 2080 sufficient? I think I would be switching my GTX series card for one or another. Has anyone recorded for example FPS or frame times with similar settings and conditions before and after switching from 2080 to 2080Ti? The price bump is quite something, about 500 € difference.
I did some looking around and it seems that the CPU is the bottle neck for DCS. I have RTX2080 and it runs only 60% load no matter the setting. Seems like its because DCS only uses single CPU thread. If thats the case, getting more powerful GPU wont change anything.

Gonna need to do some tests to confirm it, and try to overclock the CPU and see if it changes anything.
nightfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #673
Alec Delorean

@nightfalcon

GPU usage in DCS is fine, check my screenshot. The only problem is CPU usage, the stats are showing such low CPU usage because the game just runs on a single core. This is what ED has to adress better sooner than later. The only thing we can do is clock the assigned CPU core(s) as high as possible.

@RedX

Rule of thumb for CPU and GPU is simple - always pair a high tier CPU with a high tier GPU. For VR always try to get the most powerful hardware currently available to be able to get the best possible results and the most options for tweaking visual quality.

Here is my setup: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=646

The test scene is Flight over Tbilisi with the TF-51
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPUusage.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	214643  

Last edited by Alec Delorean; 08-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #674
Brixmis

Wow, that's amazing. My new Index will be here tomorrow - that's one week from first reporting the problem to receiving the new replacement kit.

Well done, Valve!
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #675
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Wow, that's amazing. My new Index will be here tomorrow - that's one week from first reporting the problem to receiving the new replacement kit.

Well done, Valve!
Wow that is awesome. I did get a response last night from Valve in reference to the support ticket where I reported my noisy Basestation and dead pixels on the headset . While it appears they are prepared to send a replacement Basestation (which would be great) they completely ignored the 2nd issue I reported...so I’ve reiterated... we’ll see.

Also noticed this AM they pushed out SteamVR 1.6.10 plus seemingly an update for the headset... it appears the “USB device not recognized” (requiring an unplug/re-plug of the headset) may no longer be an issue... a few more reboots required to confirm after work today...if so that’s one annoyance eliminated!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #676
Brixmis

Well I can't say I'm fully confident the new Index will be the end of my troubles - so many issues that people have had, and the vertical lines thing was the only problem with my first one.

I do worry that it might be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" but I'm hoping against hope that the one arriving tomorrow will have no issues - else I may well be sending the same one back!

As far as dead pixels go, I know that monitor manufacturers are permitted a certain amount of dead pixels before it can be considered refundable/RMA material, but I hope that's not the case with VR headsets. I think it also depends where they are - yours are in the middle, right? So should be a deffo RMA job.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Last edited by Brixmis; 08-01-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:02 AM   #677
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Delorean View Post
Here are my settings.
---

DCS is basically a grandpa in hippster clothing, an outdated software core, build for a CPU and GPU generation from ages ago, never meant to render a full high resolution frame twice or run several threads optimized for balanced workload on a multi-core CPU. Today it is pimped with up-to-date GPU features like PBR shaders, HDRi lighting (GI) and VR on top, which are very welcome - but require us to throw expensive hardware at the performance problems. But well, the game is one of it's kind, i'm totally crazy for it

My hardware:

i9-7980XE (OC to 4.4 GHz, 6 cores affinity setting for dcs.exe)
Asus 2080ti (OC)
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
32 GB RAM @ 3600MHz
Valve Index

See the attached screenshots for all my settings.
Hey Alec - I just noticed in your DCS settings that you are not enabling any MSAA, is that right? Do you find a considerable amount of shimmering in DCS - especially on the ground at large airfields? (For me w/o MSAA every runway or taxi way lines shimmers like crazy). Have you found another way to suppress that effect or do you just deal w it?

I updated my mobo bios today (I was 2 versions behind), started overclocking my 2080ti and started managing DCS CPU affinity and despite it all I still can’t get rid of the ghosting with any SS above 100% when MSAA is enabled (unless I drastically drop DCS visual settings).

My only options remain either:

1. MSAA + motion smoothing (which I can crank up the detail & SS but have to deal with motion smoothing artifacts) OR
2. MSAA off, lower detail/SS, motion smoothing off (which removes artifacts) but introduces a lot of shimmering.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #678
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
As far as dead pixels go, I know that monitor manufacturers are permitted a certain amount of dead pixels before it can be considered refundable/RMA material, but I hope that's not the case with VR headsets. I think it also depends where they are - yours are in the middle, right? So should be a deffo RMA job.
Yeah it’s tough to tell whether it’s 3 or 5 dead pixels (def more than one and it’s not uniformly shaped) but it’s just slightly off center in the middle of the eyepiece...ever present every where you look... if it was on the fringes of the display I *might* be able to deal with if Valve pushed back but where it is it’s definitely a bit of a deal breaker.

Do you know if your return window resets to 30 days with the new headset arrival OR are we still subject to only the original delivery date?
Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #679
2blob2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blob2 View Post
Thanks. Will make some choices and give it a whirl. Will report back with results.
Parts are in the machine and after much faffing all up and running. Will run some dcs tests over the weekend.

Also - If valve have got rid of the USB disconnect issue with an update that would be amazing!
2blob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #680
Alec Delorean

@Twwhitey

MSAA is a very expensive AA technique. It's brute force and not very efficient, costs a lot of performance - in VR "currency" = precious frame time. I disable it for every VR game if possible and invest the freed frame time in as much supersampling as possible.
Basically MSAA + motion smoothing gets worse the more demanding a game is. Motion smoothing relies on the times between frames, it tries to calculate all the pixels of the artificial frame based on position and motion vectors of the pixels of the "real" frames before. If a drastic change of pixels occurs, you will see the "warping" effect because there was not enough previous data to calculate a precise result. So if the time between frames gets longer and longer, motion smoothing will tend to be less accurate.
The problem is, we are still in the age of low res panel VR. Aliasing is a problem and is not going away quickly. I accepted that and only try to minimize the shimmering of edges by raising supersampling as much as possible. MSAA is basically a supersampling technique too, but with a much higher multiplier and different algorithm than plain supersampling.
My doctrine is basically not to sacrifice resolution, frame time, clarity, sharpness, visual quality and effects to antialiased edges - and especially in DCS visual spotting range (AA will cost you around 1 mile because it smudges the first one dark pixel that will appear).

Last edited by Alec Delorean; 08-02-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote