Valve Index Hands On - Page 78 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #771
imacken
Veteran

Happens regardless of frequency and SS values.
It's bad. I mean I'm not talking about a little jerkiness, that red ball on the vertical FOV section jerks around half the shelf! In fact if I look for long enough, the markings on the side in the vertical scale start jerking as well.
i think with the audio issue I am experiencing, i.e. left ear cuts out/reduces volume if I tilt the headset to adjust the angle it sits at, I am going to ask for an exchange.
I have also experience a black screen cut out 3 or 4 times in the last few days.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #772
Supmua

Default Valve Index Hands On

Yeah that headset is no good I’m afraid. Definitely ask for a replacement or refund. Don’t settle for anything less than perfect for that kind of money.

EDIT: my SS for SteamVR Home is 200%
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #773
Brixmis

Okay - I'm currently doing a private beta test of firmware for Steam regarding the vertical lines issue - bad news is that so far it hasn't done much to improve things, good news is they seem determined to get it sorted out.

I'm still struggling to get a through-the-lens photo of the the issue. I tried with up to 1:2000 shutter speed, but that just came out dark - however, on the "sports" setting of an older and more basic DSLR, I seem to have captured it well enough - the problem being, as it was zoomed-in somewhat, it may just be passed off as regular SDE (and they may be right).

See for yourselves - this is the normal image:

...and here is the one taken with the older camer, zoomed in a bit:

Although it looks very similar to the vertical lines issue, you can see the horizontal lines, too, which makes me think it was just the SDE, which is visible, of course, but imho is better than anything I've seen in Oculus headset.

It's a shame I can't get this photography thing sussed - even with a video camera it misses the issue completely.

btw - another thing I've noticed is that it appears far worse when looking through the HUD glass (of any of the DCS aircraft).
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #774
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Yeah that headset is no good I’m afraid. Definitely ask for a replacement or refund. Don’t settle for anything less than perfect for that kind of money.

EDIT: my SS for SteamVR Home is 200%
Yep, I sent them a message 2 or 3 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. What is the best method of contacting them regarding a replacement? I've done it through Steam account purchases options.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #775
e0s888

@Brixmis
I just saw your post and I have same problem with pixel inversion in left eye (Very disturbing, dropping you out of VR in the moment you notice it) I asked Steam support for information about fix they want to include in next steam vr beta but they behave like there is no problem. I told them about people on reddit that got message about fix that is underway but they answerd me only with quick sentence that all changes in steamvr are in changelog and could not provide me anyting more information... After that I decided not to cancel my refund process and I am both sad and angry about that. I like the headset and it would be great without this issue but they just do not want to confirm that the issue will be dealt with.

Now I read that the fix you are testing still does not sorted it out. I have 1,5 week to send it back and I am curious will they make Pixel Inversion dissapear in this period of time.

Last edited by e0s888; 08-14-2019 at 01:36 PM.
e0s888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #776
Supmua

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Yep, I sent them a message 2 or 3 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. What is the best method of contacting them regarding a replacement? I've done it through Steam account purchases options.
Try this. It's a general Index FAQ/Support but there should be a direct link to customer support somewhere on that page.
https://help.steampowered.com/en/wiz...WithValveIndex
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #777
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Okay - I'm currently doing a private beta test of firmware for Steam regarding the vertical lines issue - bad news is that so far it hasn't done much to improve things, good news is they seem determined to get it sorted out.
btw - another thing I've noticed is that it appears far worse when looking through the HUD glass (of any of the DCS aircraft).
Indeed thank you for the heads up that there actually is some (urgent?) effort to resolve this issue. After waiting 2 days for a response from Valve Support on the issue (keeping in mind this is my 2nd faulty Index headset) I received the exact same cookie cutter response everyone else did... (in retrospect I'm not sure why I honestly expected anything different).

Witnessing 1st hand what I believe these displays are capable of (granted my 1st had a few dead pixels originally) I don't buy that
a) "some amount of this behavior will be present" (my original one did not at all, it was glorious minus a few pixels)
b) "it should improve as the headset warms up during play sessions" (my original one looked great the instant it was powered up)

I find their canned statement "Our engineers are currently looking at software adjustments that should improve this behavior across the board." to not instill a great amount of confidence. Should improve? I'd prefer "will definitely resolve"

Seeing that in my response I'm now advocating they send me a THIRD headset I actually asked the support guy (in semi-sortof joking but not really joking way) if there was a way they could open the box and test it before sending it to me... testing.. novel idea I know.

Anyhow you're at the forefront of this issue and directly applying it to DCS so thank you for the effort and would welcome updates on your beta experiences going forward while I ponder what do with the $1000 box on my floor.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #778
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Try this. It's a general Index FAQ/Support but there should be a direct link to customer support somewhere on that page.
https://help.steampowered.com/en/wiz...WithValveIndex
+1 that's how I initiated my contact. Note it's taken NO LESS than just over 2 days for them to respond to me each response iteration so it's in your best interest to
1. Clearly state your issue and just as importantly what, if anything, you've done to test/resolve, etc the issue on your part. Different games, resolutions, SS, frequencies, GPU driver versions, USB/display ports.
2. include a system report generated from SteamVR and attach it to the support request.

If you don't do the above you'll likely get a very canned response asking you to do very basic things (have you tried updating your GPU drivers? have you tried different ports? have you rebooted your computer?) at which point you will have to wait ANOTHER 2 days for a another response after doing what they said. You want your initial communication to be pretty comprehensive so you can cut to the chase and proceed with an RMA or pull the ripcord and send it back.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #779
Brixmis

Yes, it's very important to say that it is adversely affecting your VR experience.

I will update as I can on the beta testing. I 've been asked not to share the code as they will refuse to support anyone whose headset gets messed up by using it without authorisation.

They are currently studying my SteamVR system report and my first report on the firmware - they seemed genuinely surprised that there was no improvement.
Rig:Asus Z87-Pro ; i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz ; 16GB 2400MHz RAM ; RTX2060 (overclocked) ; all SSD drives ; HD TFT ; TIR 4 ; Valve Index ; Oculus Rift CV1 ; TM MFDs ; UFC ; Saitek Cessna Pro Pedals ; Virpil T50 HOTAS

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #780
Twwhitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
Yes, it's very important to say that it is adversely affecting your VR experience.

I will update as I can on the beta testing. I 've been asked not to share the code as they will refuse to support anyone whose headset gets messed up by using it without authorisation.

They are currently studying my SteamVR system report and my first report on the firmware - they seemed genuinely surprised that there was no improvement.
Interestingly enough I got the invite to join the private firmware beta as well last night. I’ll likely give it a go today when I get a chance.

Few folks on Reddit are reporting improvement after installing so that’s something I suppose

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/...medium=ios_app