Notices

Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
aileron

Default Valve Index Hands On

https://youtu.be/HuobWbxGfnY
aileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Aurelius

The guys over at the digital media lab (at the university I teach at) have a copy of the Valve Index and I have gone over and played around with it a bit. It is very similar and a little bit nicer than the Vive Pro or the Samsung Odyssey Plus. It is made by HTC and feels very much like a Vive Pro 1.5 side grade. Although, just like the Pimax 5K, no video card yet made can push the Index to very high settings at a Pixel Density above 2.0. (If you overclock a 2080 Ti, run high settings and hit a PD of 2.2 for example, your frame rates fall into the low to mid twenties on the Batumi map with the F-18 Hornet). The Index will be great for lower resolution games like Beat Saber but will hit the same ceiling as all the other latest headsets in DCS World.

Be careful when driving on the roads, almost half the people you drive past or beside have below average intelligence.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Index

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
dburne
Veteran

Why the need for such a high PD setting in a higher native resolution device?
With my new Rift S I lowered my PD from what I was using with CV1 and still get fantastic image clarity.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Aurelius

Hey Don, so I can read the print on my damn instruments without squinting and invoking magical spells.

Be careful when driving on the roads, almost half the people you drive past or beside have below average intelligence.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Index

Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Aurelius

I cannot release any info until the NDA expires but I can say the Index is the absolute best I have personally experienced when it comes to setting IPD. (and I have personally tried the Rift, the Rift S, the Samsung Odyssey Plus, the Vive Pro, the Pimax 5K and a few custom made headsets made here in the College of Engineering)

Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
I cannot release any info until the NDA expires but I can say the Index is the absolute best I have personally experienced when it comes to setting IPD. (and I have personally tried the Rift, the Rift S, the Samsung Odyssey Plus, the Vive Pro, the Pimax 5K and a few custom made headsets made here in the College of Engineering)
Interestingly worded. You mention IPD, not actual IQ
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
timothyburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post

Do you get a better sense of speed in DCS than with say the Vive? I don't own VR, but when I used it and watched the video the Pimax had a better sense of speed from the larger FOV than the Vive did and that the video basically showed me the same things I felt when using it.

https://youtu.be/6PwLVEcNydQ?t=477

I haven't tried the Pimax, but I had the same experience with the Vive.

It seems the 150 degrees is ideal, but the Index I guess is supposed to only be 130.

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
timothyburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Aurelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyburton View Post
Do you get a better sense of speed in DCS than with say the Vive? I don't own VR, but when I used it and watched the video the Pimax had a better sense of speed from the larger FOV than the Vive did and that the video basically showed me the same things I felt when using it.

https://youtu.be/6PwLVEcNydQ?t=477

I haven't tried the Pimax, but I had the same experience with the Vive.

It seems the 150 degrees is ideal, but the Index I guess is supposed to only be 130.

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
I will try to detail those tonight Tim if I get the chance.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
remi

I'm glad I bought the valve Index, it definitely seems to have made the right design decisions.

Going to LCD was a very good idea.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Panthera_Tigris

I guess the NDA already lifted since we have close to a dozen reviews since yesterday:

https://www.polygon.com/virtual-real...ressions-price

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3397...pressions.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/28/1...ollers-preview

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...uestion-marks/

Also, increasing PD is a rather inefficient way of increasing clarity since they are not real pixels. It just changes the algorithm behind what existing pixels display, making it a bit clearer. BUT, there are diminishing returns going beyond a certain amount of PD. A PD of 2.0 (which means 400% more pixels if you are using DCS slider) is surely not practical.

Last edited by Panthera_Tigris; 05-29-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Panthera_Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote