Some questions re DYK precision bombing

Snappy

Hey everyone,

still trying to get a grip on dive precision bombing and have a few questions.I read the manual on it and also watched some youtube tutorials, but some things are still not entirely clear to me.

Maybe someone here knows how to do it reliably.

1.) When in the dive and after marking the target by trigger unsafe, afterwards should I keep the pipper/dot centered on the target all the time or can I let the nose drift up "past" the target and wait for the release cue?

2.)When do you actually pickle the bombs? I understand when the flashing "wings" appear for 0.5 seconds to pickle. Is that correct?

3.) I have trouble understanding the pull up cue circle .Sometimes it appears below the pipper, down where the horizontal range bar is- what does that mean? I m certainly not supposed to push down and steepen the dive ?

At other times the pull up circle appears above the pipper which is good, but immediately jumps down again to where the horizontal range bar is. Why that?

4.) The target spot which is marked by trigger unsafe, is it where the first bomb is going to hit or is it the center of the bomb group/salvo.

5.) Is there an optimum speed for dive attacks? Most videos seem to be in the .7-.9 Mach range.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards.

Edited by Snappy

Hi, I am not sure about all of them, but I will try to help.

1. As far as I learned, you keep the pipper as good on the target as possible, so that the release gets more and more accurate.

It is a good habit anyway because the plane is able to track the speed of moving targets for the rockets.

2. That. I think you can also press it a little bit earlier but thats how it works.

3. As far as I can remember the pull up cue should be displayed by your flight directors in the ADI/your artificial horizon.

Not sure if it is properly displayed in the HUD.

4. I lately had the impression it is the center of the salvo. Unsure about that.

Would make sense, it is like that in some other planes as well.

5. Speeds of 0.7 to 0.9 seem to be good. Maybe 0.9 is a bit fast. 400-500 knots equivalent is good for most planes in dive bombing with emphasis on 450-500.

More important though is that you keep your speed rather constant and avoid to accelerate from 0.7 to 0.9 in the dive while releasing.

After all you to experiment a little bit maybe, I do the same sometimes, as there are not so many videos on the viggen.

Hope I could help, cheers!

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Hi Bananabrai,

thank you for your answers, at least points 1., 2. and 5. are a bit clearer now. 3. and 4. I’m unsure about and so far have not been able to get consistent results for those.

Appreciate you answering here! Have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy