Steam availability

It´s been months since this campaing was released, but is not available on Steam yet. I know this is out of Reflected hands and sometimes Steam users get the stuff a little later than the Stand alone version users, but is there a reason why this is not on Steam yet?

Thanks!

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to DCS, so bear with me, please.

Is there any way to make your campaign work with steam DCS? I own the f-86 via steam, but if I switch to the DCS stand alone to play your campaign, can I still use my steam f-86, or must i purchase again? Should I be dealing with Steam, or is this going to handicap me constantly? What are the draw back to switching to the stand alone?

Edited by SALT

I'm new to DCS, so bear with me, please.

Is there any way to make your campaign work with steam DCS?

Not AFAIK, possibly you could install stand-alone and copy the campaign files to the Steam install (AFAIK campaign copy protection is done via ED's servers) but doing so is unsupported and the files won't automatically update.

I own the f-86 via steam, but if I switch to the DCS stand alone to play your campaign, can I still use my steam f-86, or must i purchase again?

You can link your Steam account to your ED store profile - that will allow you to use most/all your steam purchases in 2.5.x stand-alone.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207

Should I be dealing with Steam, or is this going to handicap me constantly?

It's personal choice, I stick with Steam but YMMV.

What are the draw back to switching to the stand alone?

Any stand-alone purchases can't be transferred to Steam.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Another drawback is the standalone client download speeds are measured in geologic time and can take days even on fast connections, while Steam will saturate your connection.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Not AFAIK, possibly you could install stand-alone and copy the campaign files to the Steam install (AFAIK campaign copy protection is done via ED's servers) but doing so is unsupported and the files won't automatically update.

Thanks so much for all the information. You mentioned above that it won't update automatically if copied over, but are you releasing any new updates for your mod? If not, an update to my files doesn't seem necessary in this case. I'm clearly interested in your mod. I hope you make a ton of cash when its released to Steam. Thanks again.

Edited by SALT

Another drawback is the standalone client download speeds are measured in geologic time and can take days even on fast connections, while Steam will saturate your connection.

Also a very good point. Thank you.

... are you releasing any new updates for your mod? If not, an update to my files doesn't seem necessary in this case. I'm clearly interested in your mod. I hope you make a ton of cash when its released to Steam. Thanks again.

Reflected is the author, I'm just an interested user like yourself.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I've not noticed a difference in the updating speeds I get between DCS and Steam, they're pretty much the same overall, though DCS is sometimes faster. I did a re-install onto a new computer a few months back and it took no longer for DCS than a similar install on Steam.

However, DCS makes use of BitTorrent and if your ISP filters BitTorrent then the downloads from DCS would be fairly compromised. Luckily that doesn't seem to be a problem on my ISP, which is a 400mbps cable-modem connection BTW.

FYI.

PS- you can move modules from Steam to the Standalone version, but not the other way. So a great sale on the Standalone does you no good on Steam, but a great sale on Steam can be used by someone on Standalone...

HP Z230 - Win10 Pro, i7-4770@3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVO 1TB SSD x2, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Quest 2 VR/TrackIR5; GIGABYTE AERO 17 HDR XD - Creator series laptop

DCS World - Terrains: all; Modules: all but MB-339, Mirage F1, Mosquito, I-16, MiG-19P, Yak-52, F-5E, L-39, C-101, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, & F-86F; Campaigns: various

On My Radar - The Typhoon, and I'm still hoping for a Norway map to go with it!!

I've not noticed a difference in the updating speeds I get between DCS and Steam, they're pretty much the same overall, though DCS is sometimes faster. I did a re-install onto a new computer a few months back and it took no longer for DCS than a similar install on Steam.

However, DCS makes use of BitTorrent and if your ISP filters BitTorrent then the downloads from DCS would be fairly compromised. Luckily that doesn't seem to be a problem on my ISP, which is a 400mbps cable-modem connection BTW.

FYI.

PS- you can move modules from Steam to the Standalone version, but not the other way. So a great sale on the Standalone does you no good on Steam, but a great sale on Steam can be used by someone on Standalone...

I have a similar connection, get decent speeds torrenting, and DCS downloaded at 5-6MB/s tops (HTTP dropped to sub-1MB/s). Steam can do around 35-40 MB/s all day long.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Reflected is the author, I'm just an interested user like yourself.

No worries. I saw, "senior member" listed below your name and falsely assumed you were him, or a team member.