Requests for Info - Deleting Shader folders

NineLine

Every update I clear the 2 folders. 

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Nine,

A before and after snapshot. Included a frame grab of my graphics settings. A-10CII test runs. Syria. Also, autoexec.cfg is set for true to disable hotplug per other threads.

Latest OB as of this date. Running latest NVIDA driver for 460.89 for "Creator" - but I have also experienced this with 461 on this Beta version.

The graphics settings are my "middle range" that I run for Syria. I run higher, almost everything on max, for maps like Caucasus, NTTR. The Channel I get some stutter, as well as Normandy with higher settings. Persian Gulf almost none, for any settings. Syria is a stutter fest - but only after I have had a few runs without deleting the FXO and metashaders2 folder.

This is a run (current log file) after a real mess of a run with old log file included.

The difference is night and day. I do the same test, and same sequence of events to reproduce. Load Syria A-G mission (stock in game, and selected from Mission) I fly to Aleppo, and do a city low level run around the ruins. I have modified this mission for personal use. The only change is time of day, dust, and clouds.

This flight, after deleting folders, very smooth, only a few stutters, much much easier play and enjoyable. Old backup file is from my last attempt doing the same thing before emptying folders. Unplayble. Frame rate is the same in both instances, I never drop below 39 FPS even doing street level in Aleppo - but the stutter is atrocious before emptying the folders.

Similar affect, but not as pronounced on The Channel and Normandy. NTTR and Persian Gulf not as much. Caucasus better than most maps, under any circumstances, but will get some stutter over time between folder deletes.

Also, when stutter is bad, flipping up mirrors will give me about 5 FPS, and putting the TGP in standby will give me a solid 10 FPS increase; however, this still doesn't reduce stutter when it is at its worst.

Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

dcs.log dcs.log.old

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
added detail.
  • Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 2 weeks later...

When I start DCS I run a test to see if the FLIR is washed out, if it is I exit DCS and remove metashaders and fxo folders and restart DCS and see if it works.

Sometimes I have to do this multiple times. It usually takes between 15 and 30 minutes to get a good ”start”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EasyEB said:

When I start DCS I run a test to see if the FLIR is washed out, if it is I exit DCS and remove metashaders and fxo folders and restart DCS and see if it works.

Sometimes I have to do this multiple times. It usually takes between 15 and 30 minutes to get a good ”start”.

I do not seem to have any contents in my metashaders2 folder any longer.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 01/02/2021 at 5:45 AM, dburne said:

I do not seem to have any contents in my metashaders2 folder any longer.

I noticed this recently too, wasnt sure if it was specific to me only.

Can anyone from ED confirm what the correct behaviour is and if there were any recent changes?

Hello,

I have attached three files.

I have a problem allot with the TGP and I typically delete the all contents of the FXO file folder and it helps for awhile.  I try to do this often, like especially before every multiplayer session where I might have a larger time investment.   It seems to always come back, like tonight.

In BHot mode the entire TGP screen will go black.  In WHot mode the TGP entire screen will go white.  In the CCD mode it will mostly fade out and become blurry.  I had thought that only zoom effected when I got these effects and it still does.  But tonight I noticed that distance to the target also effects it. 

For example tonight, on two different laser rocket attack runs I fired at just under five miles.  Some time after that, as I was flying to maintain the laser on target, the TGP would just go black.  During the rocket TOF I believe that I had not adjusted the zoom of the TGP.  The laser would continue to lase and amazingly I would still hit the target.  All the while, the TGP was totally black.  Before I started these rocket attacks the I was having this problem.  This happened two times with the rocket attacks then I RTB'd.

I can also send the TackView file if you need it.

Caldera

dcs.log dcs.log.old autoexec.cfg

On 2/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, MacEwan said:

I noticed this recently too, wasnt sure if it was specific to me only.

Can anyone from ED confirm what the correct behaviour is and if there were any recent changes?

Same here. Empty metashader2 folder after update. Hope this is intentionally and also the case with future updates :thumbup:

It'd be even better if ED could do the same with the fxo folder.. (would save us from having to do it manually)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• NineLine locked and unpinned this topic