Electric Canopy Motor.

rayrayblues

When the P-47 module first came out you could hear a nice whirring sound

when opening or closing the canopy. Since the last update that sound is gone.

The canopy is silent. Other warbirds use a hand crank, but the Jug uses an

electric motor. I miss that sound. Can we have it back please?

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

It's still there, however. Just checked, both with helmet option on and off.

Run repair of your DCS install maybe?

I did that, no change

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

In that case I'd check Saved Games location for leftovers of any custom sound mods (because of samples sharing mods for some planes can break sounds of others), or I would reinstall the P-47 - in theory it shouldn't be necessary after running a repair, but in rare cases reinstall of a module does seem to help with some mysterious issues.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I was flying the Jug yesterday, no issues with the canopy sound either.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thank you Reflected. At least I know I'm not alone.

As for everyone else's suggestions, I have done multiple

cleanup and repairs, un/reinstalled the P-47 module and

did another cleanup and repair.

I've never used any sound mods, ever.

The only mods I have are Civil Aircraft and Military Aircraft.

This started before I added those mods. I have tried removing

all mods, but the electric motor noise is still gone.

I then used a trick I learned awhile back.

I renamed my C:Users/saved games open beta folder to

DCS Open Beta.bak. Then I launched the game and created

a new OB Folder in Saved games.

Nothing worked! All I hear is the canopy on rollers, A thunk when it closes,

but no electric motor sound.

It happens on all maps (I only have 3) See attachments.

Any other suggestions???

Canopy Cauc.trk

Canopy Norm.trk

Canopy PGulf.trk

Edited by rayrayblues
typo

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

I've only checked the Caucasus track, but I can see in it, that you open and close the canopy manually, and without battery power, rather than using electric motor.

Keep in mind, that "canopy open / close" commands in controls menu are for manual operation only, while "canopy electric switch open / close" commands are the ones you're after (remember to turn on the battery first!).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've only checked the Caucasus track, but I can see in it, that you open and close the canopy manually, and without battery power, rather than using electric motor.

Keep in mind, that "canopy open / close" commands in controls menu are for manual operation only, while "canopy electric switch open / close" commands are the ones you're after (remember to turn on the battery first!).

Thanks Art, I'll check that, but the sound used to be there all the time.

Those tracks were made just for illustration purposes, but it sounds

the same when the engine is running and I close the canopy on the runway

just prior to takeoff.

When the module was first released, I believe it was a video by Wags who pointed out

the electric motor sound effect along with the new tire noise.

Edit: I tried those switches, no joy. :(

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

OK, just pointing out that if one's closing / opening canopy manually, there should be no electric sound for obvious reason and if it was there in one of former versions as you say, THAT was a bug, probably fixed in latest build then.

What happens if you activate the canopy switch by mouse?

When I use the switch with the mouse the sound is there on the D-30, but not the D-40.

Well, we're halfway there I guess. q4fEPdv.png

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

In that case if you assign some buttons/keys to switch, the sound must be there as well.

Both new variants that came with yesterday's OB patch have messed up sounds, as confirmed recently by BTD. We'll have to wait at least until next week I guess to have them fixed.

In the meantime, the old D-30 works OK.

In that case if you assign some buttons/keys to switch, the sound must be there as well.

Both new variants that came with yesterday's OB patch have messed up sounds, as confirmed recently by BTD. We'll have to wait at least until next week I guess to have them fixed.

In the meantime, the old D-30 works OK.

I've been using LCtrl+C to close and LShift+C to open.

Never noticed though if the switch moves when I do. It doesn't.

I don't know why it wouldn't.

I guess I can live with my T-Bolt sounding like a Mustang. :D

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦