When downloading patches, please can specify a temp location instead of game dir

112th_Rossi

So the latest patch is 27Gb. I have 10GB free on my SSD. I have a 1TB HDD I could use as temp storage but is there a way to tell the installer to use a different location to download the files before applying them?

At the moment the installer is saying there is not enough disk space.

• ED Team

This feature was removed as it proved to be quite dangerous for some users.

The rationale for removal was that the custom download location is hard to remember once set. You will never forget that the updater touches the game install dir, but anything outside will slip out of ones memory and may (and did) lead to unpleasant surprises when either that temp folder is used for something else, or the disk layout changes.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

The rationale for removal was that the custom download location is hard to remember once set. You will never forget that the updater touches the game install dir, but anything outside will slip out of ones memory and may (and did) lead to unpleasant surprises when either that temp folder is used for something else, or the disk layout changes.

Could you not just enviroment variables?

%temp% perhaps? Also verify you are not at root before anything happens? Seems a fairly simple fix.

• ED Team
%temp% perhaps?

May be, once I have a robust logic with all corner cases covered.

Also verify you are not at root before anything happens? Seems a fairly simple fix.

It is not. It could point to, say, C:\Downloads, and checking if it is not root will help only in extreme cases.

The download folder is mostly an invisible thing and making it custom puts an additional cognitive load on a user.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• 3 weeks later...
Steam, for example, does not allow to set a custom download folder, neither do other distribution platforms (to my knowledge). This is for a reason.

Yeah because it requires coding time for Valve to add feature to let user set custom download folder.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yeah, this was a thing, but removed recently. I kinda have to give the situation the priority, I understand it, tho I was the one very outspoken about wanting this feature back then.

Besides, I'm not running out of HDD/SSD space anymore as I was back then so I don't have that horse in this race. Except the speed of the update process, but I haven't checked back in some time, I think I briefly updated it on another PC and checked if it directly installs and I think it may already be doing what I was talking about before in terms of multiple-steps when moving/copying data around, but don't hold my word for it, I'm still some time away from reinstall, I think I'm up in the air whether I'll get a new PC right as new hardware starts coming or I'll just use a newer Win10 version on the existing PC, I'll see, waiting for AMD.

Could you not just enviroment variables?

%temp% perhaps? Also verify you are not at root before anything happens? Seems a fairly simple fix.

Oh, good point, perhaps this %temp% or similar specifically, once those edge cases are covered, could be hardcoded as a checkbutton option in the Updater's (GUI) settings, and the updater would display a warning on it's dialogs about it being used while it runs. Except that by default %temp% it's the system drive and would continue to be so for most people and it wouldn't do anything if DCS is installed to the system drive, perhaps the Updater could detect this and grey out the option with a note about these circumstances.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Easily avoided by properly naming said folder. I don't see the logic in removing a feature that thousands of users had no problems with just because four or five guys had issues.

sadly symlink is a command-thing without a user-friendly UI :/ Hope most users can get it to work.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

thanks Worrazen!! :thumbup:

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the obvious answer just to have

a large enough drive? DCS is a very large file. I'm not even halfway to owning

everything and I'm up to 136 Gb now on a dedicated 500 Gb NVMe M2 SSD. There is nothing else on the drive.

I expect that after I have everything I want I will be over 200 and then of course ED will come up with more shiny new s**t that I just HAVE to have. :D

I can't help but think, "is 500 Gb gonna be enough 5 or even 10 years from now?"

I don't intend to use this drive for anything else. It is for DCS only so no need to have

downloads or anything else on a different drive.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU