Late Activation Breaks Perform Task?

Anklebiter

Hi all,

I've got a group of SU-25s set to strafe a boat. This is working well. I've set the same group to late activation coming alive with a trigger zone. Now, when they activate, instead of going for the boat, they turn tail and fly away.

Any idea why it would work when they start alive, but not work when they get activated a minute after mission starts?

Well, I'm stumped. Mission attached.

I've got two trigger zones and a boatload of copy/paste planes with late activation set to strafe the Stennis.

AI Hornet flies into first trigger zone and 10 planes pop in. These behave as expected and strafe... got that far.

All subsequent planes do not. Most of them spawn upon death of previous groups. A second larger group spawns from a trigger zone almost the same as the first. None of these later groups strafe. Any ideas? They are confirmed all set up the same...

edit: ignore this file and check one below

Hot Coals 2.miz

Edited by Anklebiter
Cleaned up file hoping for help

Alright folks. I'm really hoping one of you can take a look at this. I've simplified the mission quite a bit to highlight the issue.

Trigger 1 = 4 groups late activated attacking the Stennis. Works.

Trigger 2 = 4 more late activated groups attacking the Stennis. This one also has a set task which triggers 2 seconds after activation. As soon as that task triggers, they turn and head out as if the Stennis does not exist.

This is such a cool effect and I'm dying to get it to work right. Help?

Hot Coals 3.miz

The first group gets blown away well before the second activates. It’s almost as if only a set number of attacks can occur against a unit for the entirety of the mission...

Anything you can do to help is appreciated. Since these Su-25s get so tore up on approach half end up crashing into the carrier, or around it like one giant kamikaze attack.

Things I’ve tried:

Ground Attack - won’t work on the sea.

Changing SEAD to anti-ship - no difference.

Ai task set and task put as triggers - no help.....

I am wondering if only a finite amount of units will attack the target simultaneously for deconfliction.

I won't be able to noodle with this for a few days, but out of curiosity - if you deactivate the first group prior to activating the second, will the second group engage?

Within a group with default tasks, yes there is a limit. Generally it is dependent on the target.

For aircraft targets I wanna say a max of 2 aircraft in the group will attack a single unit. Though this might have changed.

For ground/sea targets its dependent on the target and the weapon used. I believe its basically a unitHP/weaponDamage = numWeaponsNeeded. For instance setup a flight of 4 F-18Cs with 4 Harpoons. With a Molinya as a target a total of 3 missiles are shot. If there are 4 flights of 1 then each will launch 3 missiles. With the 4 ship change the target to a Kuznetazov and all 16 missiles will be launched.

As for the mission itself. I don't know whats going on exactly. Will have to test it out a bit. Though it is quite the benchmark.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

As for the mission itself. I don't know whats going on exactly. Will have to test it out a bit. Though it is quite the benchmark.

Any and all help is appreciated. The second mission I posted is less demanding than the first one, if that helps at all. Both exhibit the same behavior...

Edit: More testing. I set the second group to start much further out and now the attack will trigger randomly for that group. The first group always attacks. Sure would love to know the logic here as I would like to make a steady stream of SU-25s attacking the Stennis while the pilot tries to land.

Edited by Anklebiter

More testing.

There is definitely a bug here. If I try different things, after a while, the first group stops attacking, even if I reload the mission. If I quit out of DCS completely and restart then the first group works again.

I have still not gotten a subsequent group to attack reliably. Would be great if somebody could point me to the button I forgot to press so I can shake my head for being an idiot and move on...