Using hide static object to simulate stopped train start to go in Normandy 1944

Anklebiter

Question:

I really want a train to be stopped at a station, and then to start later. Can't seem to get a Normandy train to stop, and read on a forum that it was not possible.

So I was thinking build a train using static objects, set time flags and late activation for the real train. Hide static object and active live train in its place. Might be hard to line up, but hoping would work.

Do we have a script handy to hide static objects?

Thanks,

You should be able to use the destroy function to remove the static train -

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_func_destroy

Last time I tried, which was admittedly some time ago, trains also couldn't be late activated unfortunately. Make sure to do a quick test before you get too deep into scripting something.

Late activation seems to be working fine. Pops in after 10 seconds from a dead stop and then picks up speed as it goes. Awesome sauce!

Edit: Cool. The whole thing works. Too bad about the workaround, but we can have a train sitting at the station now and have it start any time we want.

Edited by Anklebiter

• 1 year later...
Question:

I really want a train to be stopped at a station, and then to start later. Can't seem to get a Normandy train to stop, and read on a forum that it was not possible.

So I was thinking build a train using static objects, set time flags and late activation for the real train. Hide static object and active live train in its place. Might be hard to line up, but hoping would work.

Do we have a script handy to hide static objects? Thanks,

To answer you question and to leave information for other mission builders:

You may use

StaticObject.getByName('myStaticObject'):destroy()

Works like a charm.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1