Control Bindings

Gday guys & gals. Hope you are all well & safe.

I just jumped over to the dark side & installed OB. Scary I know :fear:

For the life of me I can not get my control bindings from my stable to load in OB. :cry:

I load the file using load profile in the controls tab bit it will not bind. :mad: The file is there & it is the correct file (checked in stable then copied over two OB saved games/DCS.Openbeta/my control sets) but it will not bind it.:censored:

I just get the standard duplicate binding on every thing.:thumbdown::cry_2:

This is happening for all aircraft I have tried. :helpsmilie:

I'm not use if you know, but the game saves profiles for individual controllers in separate files (it cannot save a "global" profile for all aircraft, or even single aircraft alone, like in other flight sims), so you have to click device column first, then "save" / "load", then rinse & repeat for every other controller.

That being said, none of this clicking should be necessary as copying the whole Config/Input folder should still definitely work - did it many times in the past, going back and forth between Stable and Beta. Are you sure you're not mixing up "simulation" controls table with "game" controls table or something similar?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I'm not use if you know, but the game saves profiles for individual controllers in separate files (it cannot save a "global" profile for all aircraft, or even single aircraft alone, like in other flight sims), so you have to click device column first, then "save" / "load", then rinse & repeat for every other controller.

That being said, none of this clicking should be necessary as copying the whole Config/Input folder should still definitely work - did it many times in the past, going back and forth between Stable and Beta. Are you sure you're not mixing up "simulation" controls table with "game" controls table or something similar?

Nar mate not mixing things up.

I only have one set of saved controls(SIM/REAL) for each individual aircraft.

I have two back ups because I spend a bit of time getting my controls dialed in & don't want lose anything.

Doesn't matter how I load them in it just wont load the bindings.

I'm just getting the default bindings that are all duplicate throughout the controls.

Edited by mrmat01

OK, maybe the old way of doing things doesn't work in 2.5.6 anymore, though I would be rather surprised if that was the case (on the other hand, there were so many core changes between last Stable and latest OB...).

Just to be clear - you should have two folders in C:\......\Saved Games location, one named DCS and one named DCS.openbeta. You copied the whole Config/Input sub-folder from the former to the latter and the controls don't show up?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

OK, maybe the old way of doing things doesn't work in 2.5.6 anymore, though I would be rather surprised if that was the case (on the other hand, there were so many core changes between last Stable and latest OB...).

Just to be clear - you should have two folders in C:\......\Saved Games location, one named DCS and one named DCS.openbeta. You copied the whole Config/Input sub-folder from the former to the latter and the controls don't show up?

I was thinking the same thing regarding 2.5.6. :huh:

Yes that is correct I copied the whole Config/Input sub-folder from the former to the latter and the controls don't show up?

The aircraft I have been trying to get this to work on is F-14 F-18 & Mirage 2000

Can't help then I'm afraid, I don't have stable installed anymore to experiment with it.

Last time I tried restoring controls I did it by loading old diff.lua files from backup (doing it in-game), because of moving to new system, and thus having all controller USB IDs messed up by Windows. The method did work as advertised, but it was in 2.5.5. era.

• 2 months later...

Hi, this is quite easy to do in Windows:

1. Copy the whole C:\Users\Flav\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input folder.
  2. Go to C:\Users\Flav\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\.
  3. Rename "Input" to "Input_old"
  4. Paste
  5. Launch the game and enjoy.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

4. Paste

Thanks for Your help but its the .diff files I'm having the issue with (control files)

They are not compatible between stable & OB. & I can not understand for the life of me as to why.

I should not be having to rename the input folder. It should be a simple case of having one set of .diff files for OB & Stable.

The OB is a testbed for ED. And you don't want to lose your stable bindings for the sake of ED's testing, right? This is a very good reason for not merging stable and OB bindings.

The OB is a testbed for ED. And you don't want to lose your stable bindings for the sake of ED's testing, right? This is a very good reason for not merging stable and OB bindings.

Ummm the control bindings .diff files aren’t part of what gets tested in OB they are just control bindings. They should be compatible between stable & OB just for simplicity reasons. :noexpression:

I didn't say they weren't compatible. In fact, they are compatible, most of the time. This week, they are fully compatible until next OB update.

I simply gave you a good reason not to want the merging of your stable and OB bindings. Because if ED screws up with the bindings in an OB update (it's a beta, remember: shit happens), you don't want to lose your stable bindings.

I didn't say they weren't compatible. In fact, they are compatible, most of the time. This week, they are fully compatible until next OB update.

I simply gave you a good reason not to want the merging of your stable and OB bindings. Because if ED screws up with the bindings in an OB update (it's a beta, remember: shit happens), you don't want to lose your stable bindings.

I think what I'm trying to say maybe getting lost in translation.:(

Thank you for you help. :thumbup:

They are not compatible for me.

It would be a lot simpler not so time consuming if you didn't have to bind your controls twice & be able to copy your .diff files from your saved games dcs to your saved games openbeta & it just worked.

No, nothing got lost in translation. I understand what you want: one bindings folder used by both stable and OB versions.

This is doable with the use of a symbolic link. I know because I've done it before. I just wouldn't recommend it, because an open beta is an open beta: things get broken sometimes!

However, now that you are warned, I can show you how to have only one folder for both versions. You still in?

No that’s not what I want. I want the .diff files to be compatible between stable and OB. If I have spent 30min-1 hour setting up & bindings my control I would like to just copy it over or load it from either the saved games stable or OB folder.

I've already given you the simplest and safest way to do that, here:

4. Paste

This takes only a minute, and it does work perfectly well.

Just to be perfectly clear: the Input folder contains ALL your bindings. ALL of them. No need to copy .diff files one after the other. Just copy the whole Input folder and you should be fine.