How is the Bf109 Module? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
OnlyforDCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthFrmAbv View Post
well, the Thrustmaster Warthog stick is to blame for that. You can't (okay, *I* can't) use the Sidewinder anymore for flying airplanes because it feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Warthog. Not really an issue for helicopters because their controls are very different. But as a flight stick....no way
I still don't get it. The FFB2 will still feel like a cheap plastic stick compared to the warthog irrespective of the module you fly it with. It's not like you need all those extra buttons of the Warthog for the warbirds. On the other hand the feel of the flight model itself will be much, much better with the FFB2 stick. But okay, different strokes I guess...
Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
LeCuvier

The 109 is my absolute favourite in terms of general handling and air combat. It's powerful and agile, and extremely forgiving when you push it to its limits, and gives me the best chance to survive and win. Ground handling is certainly a bit challenging, you have to be focused and understand what you are doing. If you like "comfortable" handling, better fly the pony. That plane was designed for joy-riding.
I fly the FW-190D a lot too. I find it more challenging because it's unforgiving at the limits and it's hard to turn. Still I enjoy battling the Pony with the FW-190 as you have to push it to its limits and score before your engine dies. But I don't even try engaging the Spit with it. Just hopeless.
I like the Spit too, but use it mostly as a target.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
DthFrmAbv

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
I still don't get it. The FFB2 will still feel like a cheap plastic stick compared to the warthog irrespective of the module you fly it with. It's not like you need all those extra buttons of the Warthog for the warbirds. On the other hand the feel of the flight model itself will be much, much better with the FFB2 stick. But okay, different strokes I guess...
Hmm, do you fly any helis in DCS? If so, I'm very surprised that you don't see where the difference is (talking about the joystick, of course).

In a helicopter you're doing veeery subtle movements on the cyclic. I actually often use thumb and index finger only for controlling the stick. No way to fly some hefty dogfight in a warbird like that and that is where the Warthog haptic excels.
A Warthog stick on a force feedback base, that would be lovely
DthFrmAbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
dailey123

One of my earlier modules very hard to master and fun to fly.
The landing can be a real pain and take off tap brakes and counter rudder.
I really like the performance and MW-50 boost and instruments.
dailey123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #15
Wolf8312

Strange thing is for me I have more trouble taking off in the BF109 than I do landing recently! Toe brakes on my rudder pedals would be nice. Kinda makes me thing eventually I'm gonna have to get the old cross winds. Gotta move house and countries though soon, so can't really commit.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H,1080Ti OC edition, i7-8770k 5ghz, 1 T SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200, HTC VIVE, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, Gametrix JETSEAT, Voice attack
Wolf8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Nealius

Well, I bought it. It's a lot of fun to fly but definitely a handful, even compared to the Spitifire. Landings were real easy once I carried over the "dancing on the pedals" principle from the Spit, except instead of dancing with my heels I have to dance with my toes in the 109. Takeoffs took longer to figure out, and I have a lot of trouble pressing rudder and pressing the toe brakes simultaneously: My toes hit the wall behind my pedals and limit my rudder travel when I apply brakes. On takeoff I have to tap my right foot like I'm listening to a fast EDM song to keep the thing centered until rudder authority kicks in.

Cruising is nice with the ground-adjusted trim tabs, but flying at high speed gets confusing as I'll need left rudder during a right turn to keep the ball centered. The auto-govenor on the prop is real nice too--no more fishtailing when I adjust RPM or MP like in the Spit.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10

Last edited by Nealius; 01-06-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #17
jcomm

If you:

1) Lock the tailwheel after rolling along the runways for a few feet / meter to make sure it aligns with the longitudinal axis;

2) You slowly advance the throttle to no more than 1,2 ATA;

You will not need toe brakes - just rudder.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
Wolf8312

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
If you:

1) Lock the tailwheel after rolling along the runways for a few feet / meter to make sure it aligns with the longitudinal axis;

2) You slowly advance the throttle to no more than 1,2 ATA;

You will not need toe brakes - just rudder.

I can take off. But not witout some toe brake input. I just find it much easier. My right rudder doesent seem to do anything at all, unless I am going fast enough. It does work sometimes so I guess I just need to practice, but it seems much easier with a little toe brake action tbh!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H,1080Ti OC edition, i7-8770k 5ghz, 1 T SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200, HTC VIVE, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, Gametrix JETSEAT, Voice attack
Wolf8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
birdstrike

the rudder in the 109 is astonishingly ineffective.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #20
amazingme

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
the rudder in the 109 is astonishingly ineffective.
Also the stick, the ammo.. almost everything
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, Saitek X55 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 27" monitor, TN panel, 1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote