Bf 109 takeoff problems - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #31
Lixma 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
this is take off of bf-109 g12 preaty similat to k-4 i gues, I noticed one very interesting thing
check ATA gage its scaled to 2.0
ED give us 1.98 ata K-4
check during take off, stick hard to right so aleirons works at low speeds
check what ata pilot is runing we will not get 1.8 ata sound of db605 ever
another thing oil pressure durign start up rising ver yvery slowly not like in dcs launching in to sky like saturn V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8SOB1Fmbg
I wish our needles bounced around like that.
Lixma 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #32
grafspee

If runway is long enough you can take off at lower ata but i think during war time they used militaty power (mw50 off if avilable) for take offs i assuming that runways werent so long like nowdays
But yeah slaming throttle instantly to max is never good idea. In dcs i slowly increasing throttle in all birds so it is actualy possible to take off without toe brakes in bf109, i was alwayes amazed how small vertical stab and rudder is on bf109 compare it to spitfire or p-51 even fw190 has much bigger rudder.
Bouncing needles that would be nice
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #33
jcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Except that they're not necessarily trim tabs, but something else altogether (see the DCS manual pic f.ex.). Any SME guys around?
They're actually trim tabs, ground adjustable. Don't have the links to the various sources, and the DCS manual "obliterates" it in the blue prints, but that's what they actually are, and were used to...
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #34
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
Because otherwise we would probably be given the chance to also set the ground adjustable elevator trim tab that exists in the 109.
no...they had it working before. before they were officially introduced in the menu as a special tab option, ED had it in a lua file(its probably still there) , where you could adjust all three trim tabs.

according to Yo-Yo, they hardcoded the elevator trim tab on purpose so that its not adjustable by the enduser, and its not a limitation of the engine. they didnt give a real reasoning for doing this, except that the 109s tendency to pitch up is a safety design iirc.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #35
jcomm

Yep, I knew about that lua "trick" - I actually was the first to suggest, long ago here at the forums, for it to be used with the Fw-190 for rudder trimming :-)

And yes, I was aware it was "frozen" some versions ago. None of the "editable" tab settings produce effects now.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #36
MAD-MM

9./JG27
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
realtrance

I finally recalled the same lesson with the BF-109 I learned awhile ago with A2ASims' warbirds for FSX/P3D: taking off with these high-powered engines on slight airframes is a dance between rudder and prop torque, mainly.

At least, in my head I keep it simple and reliable by thinking in those terms.

So, instead of by-the-book numbers (hold brakes, rev up to 1.35 ATA, let go, right-brake to stay on the runway and stick down and to the right to counter high torque with rudder and ailerons, then let go as you start taking off), I've developed a feel for when the prop torque is overwhelming rudder input (or, very initially, right-brake taps).

I therefore slowly raise throttle to gain speed. If the plane starts veering off to the left, due to prop torque, I back off, with full right rudder. Once rudder starts to really have an effect, I balance increasing throttle to increase prop torque to steer left on the runway, and holding or reducing rudder input slowly and carefully to steer right.

You can literally feel the tension between these two forces as you take off, and once you get it right (it's quite sensitive), you can nail it every time. Without any other inputs.

What drove me crazy at first was, simply, over-torquing the plane with too much throttle for the situation.

A good, strong reminder is if you add any throttle after descending at or near idle, at or near stall speed, for landing. You literally feel the torque jerk the plane in one direction, and it completely messes up your landing, if you're not careful.

Don't know whether this is "100% realistic" or not, don't care; it's fun once you get the hang of it, and works for all the prop planes in DCS, as it does for A2A's WWII fighters. That's certainly realistic enough for me!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #38
Yo-Yo
ED Team

You reinvented the method how Red 7 is flown time to time...
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #39
grafspee

Default take off

My take off looks that way
12 o'clock on porp/ prop manual
radiator flaps depends on outside temp if its very cold i keep then on auto if it is warm set them to full open
elevator trim nose full down
flaps at take off position
little right aileron
gentle throttle up, while accelerating i use only rudder to keep it straight ATA up to around 1.2(i am increasing power gradualy while bf109 is accelerating this way i dont need to apply full rudder at all)
i dont use toe brakes at all
when i feel the speed is good i rotate a little after take off i retract landign gear, flaps full up, prop on auto.

Last edited by grafspee; 01-17-2019 at 08:02 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #40
realtrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
You reinvented the method how Red 7 is flown time to time...
A plane with quite a history, I see!