109 sounds and other so called improvements - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
birdstrike

Default 109 sounds and other so called improvements

well...even at the very early stage of the first beta version of the 109, the devs claimed, that their sounds are as close as it can get, as they use recordings of the real thing....now meantime, the engine sound of the 109 changed probably like 5times already, and has hardly anything in common anymore with the original sounds...so what is it? was the sound of the open beta the real deal, or is the current one the one which they consider to be close to real life

normally im not too much into the sound aspect of a flight sim. so im not arguing much about whether this or that is closer to the real 109....BUT...with every single patch that adressed the sounds of the 109, the different engine revolutions became less and less audible. im flying piston engines every day in real life, and even with the headset on, besides all the noise, different rpm settings are very much audible, especially if you are used to a certain type of aircraft. in the dcs 109, this became harder and harder up to the point with 2.5.4, where there is actually not any difference anymore between lets say 2500 and 2900 rpm except the overall noise. for me personally clearly great steps backwards....

now the sounds are one thing, but while the devs obviously put some work into the cockpit textures, while there are apparent bugs that are reported SINCE ITS RELEASE and have not even been acknowledged up to this very day, im afraid not even the new cockpit is an improvement in my eyes. the opposite tbh.

and then there are the new ground physics, which are maybe more noob friendly, but not more realstic...im starting to ask myself, if dcs still has the same focus they promised when i actually purchased that module....realism.

Last edited by birdstrike; 12-20-2018 at 06:04 PM.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Yup. And I was really looking forward to the external model improvement but nix nada niente for the 109.

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
MAD-MM

When I see the last "improvements" also would to know where is DCS heading now in WW2?

We still go for Full Realism or more for Mainstream Playability?

9./JG27
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
golani79

New 109 sounds more like a lawnmower than anything else

Would really love to see some improvement in the sound department of the WWII birds.

With the Yak-52 for example I think they got the sound quite nice!
Not sure if it´s the recordings or something else.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by golani79 View Post
New 109 sounds more like a lawnmower than anything else
My first impression, exactly. It is impossible to hear now what RPM you are running.

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4...flight-simming
rel4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel4y View Post
My first impression, exactly. It is impossible to hear now what RPM you are running.
yeah, their "improvements" to the 109 became quite frustrating over the last few months.

Last edited by birdstrike; 12-20-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
jcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
yeah, their "improvements" to the 109 became quite frustrating over the last few months.
Well, for me it was quite a great sound update ? Whazzup ?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post

Good question. I have seen quite a few discussions about the sound before, and oddly the raw sound files often sound great when you open them, but ingame they sound nothing like the raw ones.

And I know that there are several parameters involved into sound recording like microphone quality and such. But I have been at enough air shows and with most video's on youtube a P-51 sounds like when I heard one in real life.
Something appears to be off.

So I end up using mods myself for the WW2 aircraft and UH-1. From the modules I own, only the FA-18 sounds great out of the box. This is of course also subjective.

Spoiler:
W10-x64 | Asus P8Z77-V | Core i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Noctua NH-D14
Corsair 32Gb 1600 @ 2133 10-12-12-20 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X OC
SB Audigy 2 Platinum | TM Hotas Warthog
MFG Crosswind pedals | TrackIR 5
Oculus Rift CV 1
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Falcoblu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel4y View Post

Even mine, the new sound is horrible, it does not even seem to be a DB605 ....

Falcoblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
2days ago you said that you dont even own the module currently...so whazzup?