Bf109's 30mm cannon too weak Poll - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the BF109 30mm cannnon too weak ?
YES 74 73.27%
No 27 26.73%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
otto

30mm damage model Vs Human driven p51 (Online Recording but 3x slower to see the hits clearly)

The vertical and horizontal stabilizer don't fly off or suntain any damage, not even the elevator part of the horizontal stabilizer of the rudder part of the vertical stabilizer sustains any damage.

The p51 was fine,after this,i killed it after a long chase with the mg's.
I would post a track too .But they all go stupid at some point and don't record MP action correctly.

Last edited by otto; 04-05-2015 at 08:32 PM.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #22
shagrat
ED Translator

I recommend a DCS repair, or removing the mod(s) that tweak the smoke, the bullets and add the tracers to the MK-108, as it is not sure if the mod is buggy/breaking things, or if DCS...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #23
SlipBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
I recommend a DCS repair, or removing the mod(s) that tweak the smoke, the bullets and add the tracers to the MK-108, as it is not sure if the mod is buggy/breaking things, or if DCS...
That makes sense, but what is the way and how to do a repair
SlipBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
shagrat
ED Translator

If you did not use a mod manager, like JSGME to "mod" DCS, you can do a DCS repair under:
Startmenu/All Programs/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/ "Repair DCS World"

Be advised, it will overwrite ANY changes to the DCS World install, including texture mods, lua tweaks etc. in the C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/ folder with the original files.

The configs and settings in your user profile are left untouched.

If you use Nvidia SweetFX it happens that the DLL part remains in the DCS World directory and causes DCS not to start, if that happens you need to manually remove "d3d9.dll" and "dxgi.dll" from C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/bin

EDIT: in fact the repair does only replace files that have been changed compared to the original install, it does not delete stuff you manually added to the DCS World\Mods folder, like manually installed plane mods... modules managed by the download manager, seem to be "repaired" as well.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller

Last edited by shagrat; 04-05-2015 at 10:00 PM.
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #25
OutOnTheOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 5.0 View Post
During the war the Germans did a study on this subject, I wish that I had saved that link. If I remember right it was like one cannon round to take out a fighter, and two or three for larger aircraft...with hit ratio of about 10 percent
Ok, so... your entire loadout to kill one larger aircraft (also, there are videos out there of B-17G flying on as if nothing happened after taking 8-15 30mm hits- you can COUNT them hitting. They just didn't hit anything important as far as remaining airborne. There are B-17s that had 88mm detonate INSIDE the fuselage that made it home.) Don't put too much faith in the "Luftwaffe says 2-3 hits should do it" studies.

Last edited by OutOnTheOP; 04-05-2015 at 10:02 PM.
OutOnTheOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
Solty

Also, is every shot HEI (Minengeshoss) or is it also APHE?

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #27
SlipBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOnTheOP View Post
Ok, so... your entire loadout to kill one larger aircraft (also, there are videos out there of B-17G flying on as if nothing happened after taking 8-15 30mm hits- you can COUNT them hitting. They just didn't hit anything important as far as remaining airborne. There are B-17s that had 88mm detonate INSIDE the fuselage that made it home.) Don't put too much faith in the "Luftwaffe says 2-3 hits should do it" studies.

You miss understand, they were talking about/assuming well placed shots, not random hits on a wing tip...this study was done for the only purpose of a guide about how much ammo to order from production facilities
Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #28
HeadHunter52

As with killing a man, it is shot placement that matters. I'm sure the DM could use tweaking.... it's a sim after all, but placement (and its role in the DM) are important. If nothing vital is hit, don't expect massive damage.

Cannon shells with crush fuses have to hit sufficient structure to detonate. Even if it hits this, the explosion has to happen near critical parts.

1 shot kills. Damn. You'd think we were talking USMC Scout Snipers....
HeadHunter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #29
SlipBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter52 View Post
As with killing a man, it is shot placement that matters. I'm sure the DM could use tweaking.... it's a sim after all, but placement (and its role in the DM) are important. If nothing vital is hit, don't expect massive damage.

Cannon shells with crush fuses have to hit sufficient structure to detonate. Even if it hits this, the explosion has to happen near critical parts.

1 shot kills. Damn. You'd think we were talking USMC Scout Snipers....

yes I think one shot kills did happen maybe even often, just look at the otto post #13 above and that was a 100 yd shot...that plane would have been finished if it were up in the air
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #30
otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
I recommend a DCS repair
Done one today.That's not the problem.
Quote:
or removing the mod(s) that tweak the smoke, the bullets and add the tracers to the MK-108, as it is not sure if the mod is buggy/breaking things, or if DCS...
Let's say it's the mod's fault. Even if this is just a speculation.
Have you ever seen a plane in DCS with pieces of it's tail blown off ?
Because I have not .It's jut the whole tail section that gets blown off or not.
For a simulation of DCS caliber I want a better damage model this is why I made this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOnTheOP View Post
Ok, so... your entire loadout to kill one larger aircraft (also, there are videos out there of B-17G flying on as if nothing happened after taking 8-15 30mm hits- you can COUNT them hitting.
How do you know those are 30mm and not 20mm ?

Quote:
There are B-17s that had 88mm detonate INSIDE the fuselage that made it home.)
That might be true but it's not a rule.
In the battle for Britain English pilots could shoot down a german bomber with a few well aimed bursts.
If what you are saying would be true every time(and the 88 does so little damage even when exploding inside) than they should have needed 100 million bullets to shoot down a german bomber with those little 7.6mm machine guns.

Last edited by otto; 04-05-2015 at 11:23 PM.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote