Bf109's 30mm cannon too weak Poll - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the BF109 30mm cannnon too weak ?
YES 73 73.00%
No 27 27.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
otto

Default Bf109's 30mm cannon too weak Poll

I hit the p51 5 times with my first pass and than 2 more times in the left wing.No problem for the p51.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks for voting, watching.
Attached Files
File Type: trk mk108-vs-p51-wing-1.trk (243.6 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by otto; 04-05-2015 at 12:02 AM.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
Solty

DM seems inconsistent, but I wouldn't jump into conclusions after shooting AI plane.

AI planes have super-DM, which makes it super hard to kill them (sometimes)

One time I can murder a Fw190 within seconds with my .50cals and the other I can loose half of my ammo hitting it and it just starts smoking... a lot.

So, I would say DM is at fault not the 30mm itself. It might have good enough HE.

Try shooting down Hawk with .50cals xD I've lost most of my ammo on that plane yesterday xD I hope thunderbolt gets DM like that

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
gavagai

Easy "yes" from me. Whether it's a DM or 30mm issue doesn't matter.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Solty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
Easy "yes" from me. Whether it's a DM or 30mm issue doesn't matter.
Sure, but what about weak .50cals then? They feel underwhelming sometimes, so I would say that it is the problem with DM, not with weapons themselves.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
Old 04-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
SlipBall

During the war the Germans did a study on this subject, I wish that I had saved that link. If I remember right it was like one cannon round to take out a fighter, and two or three for larger aircraft...with hit ratio of about 10 percent

Last edited by SlipBall; 04-05-2015 at 10:10 AM.
SlipBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Hummingbird

Hit a P-51 with a total of twenty 30mm MK108 shells the other day, and it was still flying.

Could've knocked down several bombers with that many hits in real life

The Germans noted that on average it took the MK108 1 hit to down a fighter and 3 to down a bomber. That's not really what we see ingame atm, infact it seems to be 20+ times less destructive than it should be ^^

That having been said the .50 cals are also underpowered atm, although not by as much. Dunno what went wrong with the damage modelling?
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
9./JG27 DavidRed+
Posting Rights Revoked

my two cents on the matter is, that i suspect that there is a underlying bug hidden, affecting all aircraft, or at least all ww2 fighters....

with the experience i gained in more than 2years of dcs, i still have the feeling, that as soon as someone keeps the trigger pulled(even if only very short), the game seems to be overwhelmed with calculating whats happening, and therefore just quits/forgets a few events within that period.the result is, that i can constantly repeat the results, that are:

• keep the trigger pulled, and you will need plenty of ammo(probably 4 or even more direct Mk108 hits to down a P51) interestingly, with the 109 it seems that human flown p51s are more resistent than AI planes.

• just tab the trigger as briefly as you can, and one shot is enough IF you hit.

i dont think that either the 50cals nor the mk108 is two weak, but just that the dcs engine cant cope with the modules anymore.

could also be the same reason, why even a monster rig is brought to its knees if only one P51 is pulling the trigger.
WHICH IS RIDICULOUS! we are waiting for that bug to be fixed since it was in open beta, and that we still have to live with such a broking thing is just laughable.i know the excuse more than 1year ago was, that its not fixable, and that we have to wait for edge.

but considering that we are still waiting for edge without a clue when its going to be released, and the fact that other aircraft are not suffering from that really annoying bug, makes the waiting and that excuse inacceptable
9./JG27 DavidRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
shagrat
ED Translator

The root cause is the bad damage model of AI planes NOT the weapons!

It's a common topic, since we get more fighters, WWII or Korea, etc.
If you go MultiPlayer and fight against a human controlled plane with complex damage modeling, the weapons work very accurate... Only AI planes, seem to use a hitpoint model, which leads to a P-51 still flying like it's got no damage even when all damage zones are down to 1 Hitpoint left.
The visual damage modeling seems pretty unrelated to physical damage effects. E.g. you can see ailerons missing engine on fire, yet the AI plane does turn and climb like fresh from the manufacturing plant...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Solty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9./JG27 DavidRed View Post
my two cents on the matter is, that i suspect that there is a underlying bug hidden, affecting all aircraft, or at least all ww2 fighters....

with the experience i gained in more than 2years of dcs, i still have the feeling, that as soon as someone keeps the trigger pulled(even if only very short), the game seems to be overwhelmed with calculating whats happening, and therefore just quits/forgets a few events within that period.the result is, that i can constantly repeat the results, that are:

• keep the trigger pulled, and you will need plenty of ammo(probably 4 or even more direct Mk108 hits to down a P51) interestingly, with the 109 it seems that human flown p51s are more resistent than AI planes.

• just tab the trigger as briefly as you can, and one shot is enough IF you hit.

i dont think that either the 50cals nor the mk108 is two weak, but just that the dcs engine cant cope with the modules anymore.

could also be the same reason, why even a monster rig is brought to its knees if only one P51 is pulling the trigger.
WHICH IS RIDICULOUS! we are waiting for that bug to be fixed since it was in open beta, and that we still have to live with such a broking thing is just laughable.i know the excuse more than 1year ago was, that its not fixable, and that we have to wait for edge.

but considering that we are still waiting for edge without a clue when its going to be released, and the fact that other aircraft are not suffering from that really annoying bug, makes the waiting and that excuse inacceptable
+1

My channel:
Old 04-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Neuman
Veteran

At this moment, we don't have a new DM, you can adjust the weight of the explosive in the Shell. For example - Such as M-61, he overestimated in 5.5 from the original if you look in the configuration file.

Core i5, 16GB RAM, GF-760, SSD
Neuman is offline   Reply With Quote