DCS Multiplayer Issues (Mission Building) -Time Frame for Fixes?

SUNTSAG

I am a keen mission builder predominantly in a multiplayer environment. I make missions for me and the guys I fly with. IMHO multiplayer is the way forward to expand this sim, as there is nothing like flying with a group of real people either cooperatively or against one another. I have no axe to grind with those that prefer the SP environment, as that is their want.

I am keen on including immersive elements in all my missions and I regularly provide ambient sounds, fully populated airbases and FARPS, moving vehicles at airfields etc etc.

Now here is my point.......many things that function perfectly well in a single player mission, certainly do not in its multiplayer counterpart. Examples are:

BATTLEFIELD COMMANDERS SLOTS:

Add a JTAC to the mission and in SP it's listed as a JTAC but in MP it's listed as a FORWARD OBSERVER.

AI TAKE OFF FROM RUNWAY:

In SP the AI does as instructed but in MP, they take off from the ramp or hangar. It means that they may (and have)become stuck due to a vehicle blocking their path and never take off.

UNIT RADIO TRANSMISSIONS:

In SP you can assign these to a specific unit and you will hear them during the mission. In MP only the host will hear the messages.

TRIGGER ZONE RADIO TRANSMISSIONS:

As above but the frustration here is, you could setup navigation beacons as nav aids but only the host can hear the signal and tune into the frequency.

There are other elements I could highlight that have been discussed elsewhere like the embark disembark for helos, JTAC no longer lasing and marking targets but they are not solely linked to MP. None the less frustrating though.

I know MIST and CTLD provide excellent work around solutions for some of the items I have listed, but not to the depth of say the in game JTAC for instance. I know in general the ME needs a considerable overhaul, as many interface features need a 21st century upgrade. Can we at least have some fixes on the way to an improved ME???

IMHO this is no different to a module fix request and should be considered no less relevant, as every good module needs a damn good mission to fly it in. By the way this is not a ranting demand, just a polite and humble request. Many thanks.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Take-off from runway in MP is that way because you don't know when players might spawn or be trying to use the runway. In single player it is a bit more controlled with the mission builder setting it up however they want. In SP you know the player will be at a certain location at a specific time and that AI will abort a landing if the runway is occupied. In MP you've got a lot of random variables that you really have no control over and frankly people may do idiotic things.

The other stuff are bugs. Though the JTAC one is kind of minor since its simply a string difference.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Commander slots work fine. The observer slot, labeled observer, will not be able to control or direct vehicles.

The JTAC slot, called Forward Observer as you noted in MP, can directly control vehicles but cannot issue orders via the F10 map.

The Tactical Commander can move and control vehicles belonging to their coalition.

The Game Master can move and control vehicles from both coalitions.

In MP, take off from runway is deliberately disabled so that aircraft don't spawn on top of you while on the runway.

Radio transmissions - Both actual radio transmissions, MESSAGE TO GROUP, and SOUND TO GROUP worked fine for me as recently as last week. Radio transmissions have been spotty in the past though. I have not set up a beacon in the ME recently, but I was able to tune to beacons dynamically spawned by other players using CTLD. When was the last time you tested this?

So....agree there are problems but I don't know if these are them. ;)

Hi Gents,

Thank you for your responses chaps, much appreciated.

As far as the disabling of TOFR is concerned surely there would be a workaround to this in the base script by including a "dont spawn element if the user is within the confines of a set area".....just a thought.

feefifofum I know that the sounds to group and messages to group work fine as I have to use them a great deal but I want to use the units and trigger zones radio functionality....why??? because those sounds when played do not stop playing when a sound to group is currently being run. Plus the unit based messages appear in the top left hand corner of the screen. For me it is ideal as ambient sound inclusion would not stop playing because another sound had been loaded. My list of issues is by no means exhaustive but I have to disagree with you here..... they are issues that have the potential to be fixed and IMHO improve mission design and build in MP. If the radio works in SP it would be fantastic to have the same option in MP.

I have also used and modified CTLD to good effect (included scripted radio messages etc)and the scripts are fantastic don't get me wrong but core functionality shouldn't be overlooked just because scripts are available. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my thread. Cheers :thumbup:

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]