Questions about the Mustang's landing light

Magic Zach

So, I noticed that the landing light for the P-51D in DCS seems a bit different than what I'd expect. I first took notice of it when a friend of mine joked, and said he had to wear sunglasses when he looked at me with my landing light on. The landing light doesn't seem to feel right with the Mustang. It doesn't match what I'd expect for a small light from the '40s. More like taking a light from to-day and applying it. Makes me think that WWII pilots used Google Maps when navigating, instead of using maybe a kneeboard, landmarks, watching their heading, etc. POINT IS, it really off-puts the '40s atmosphere of the aircraft. It hinders the immersion with the Mustang, and I personally find rather distracting because I'm always questioning it.

It seems a bit too BRIGHT. It just seems that for its size, it's a bit too bright. It looks like it'll be better mounted on a 737. My handheld spotlight in my garage doesn't get NEARLY as much coverage as the landing light for the P-51 in DCS seems to get.

I'm not so sure about the color of the landing light. It's really white, which I don't think is how it should be. LED lights were invented in 1962, and this plane is from the '40s. I'd assume that it uses incandescent bulbs, which emit a LESS BRIGHT, and more yellow glow.

If anyone actually knows how the landing light from the '40s works, and if it's white or yellow light, or how bright it is, please correct me. I realize that this seems (and I'd admit, mostly IS :P) a pointless thing to complain about, but for the sake of immersion, and for those folks that really want to get a '40s feel (as much as you can get in a sim), I think this could be modified by ED in a future update, or a user-made mod is created for it. Also, the MiG-15bis, F-86F, and MiG-21bis date BEFORE the 1960s, so the landing lights for those aircraft should probably get looked at too. Again, if I'm wrong about any facts (or possibly this entire topic) please correct me. If that's the case, I'll be happy that what is in DCS is what it really was. If not...

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria