Remove NUM5 as recenter view

metzger

Worked for me! Finally was able to get away from Num5!!

Launch DCS and in main screen go to control options.

Left most dropdown at the type, I think it's "category" or something like that, and select "UI Layer", there you will see it bound to Num5 and you can change it. I moved it to a Joystick button and it works fine.

Trip

Confirmed it works!

Does not work for me, tried it countless times both 2.0 and 1.5 :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Worked for me! Finally was able to get away from Num5!!

Launch DCS and in main screen go to control options.

Left most dropdown at the type, I think it's "category" or something like that, and select "UI Layer", there you will see it bound to Num5 and you can change it. I moved it to a Joystick button and it works fine.

Trip

Confirmed it works!

I thought you could always map it to something else. The problem is you can't UNMAP Num5.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I thought you could always map it to something else. The problem is you can't UNMAP Num5.

Has anybody asked Oculus to allow a different mapping? Being unable to use my CDU (which I built using a keyboard input board, so it acts like a keyboard) when I have to enter the number 5 is going to drive me nuts.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Has anybody asked Oculus to allow a different mapping? Being unable to use my CDU (which I built using a keyboard input board, so it acts like a keyboard) when I have to enter the number 5 is going to drive me nuts.

Its dcs issue not oculus. It recenters the view only in dcs. No word from the devs yet.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah I didn't check that num5 no longer worked. I was never able to get it to work on a joystick button before, because I hadn't found the UI layer options before.

I will test and see if num5 still works after having unbound it from that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I just checked this on my 1.5 Open Beta install.

I have re-center view set in the UI layer to one of my joystick buttons which works fine.

So I went into my Spitfire module, and saw numpad 5 was set to re-center view, so I cleared that out. Restarted 1.5 OB, double checked and it is indeed cleared out - yet it still does re-center the view.

Apparently it is hard coded in there.

I never use numpad5 for anything so I had never noticed and it will not bother me, but is interesting how they have that.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I just checked this on my 1.5 Open Beta install.

I have re-center view set in the UI layer to one of my joystick buttons which works fine.

So I went into my Spitfire module, and saw numpad 5 was set to re-center view, so I cleared that out. Restarted 1.5 OB, double checked and it is indeed cleared out - yet it still does re-center the view.

Apparently it is hard coded in there.

I never use numpad5 for anything so I had never noticed and it will not bother me, but is interesting how they have that.

I have something similar that is hard coded. When I map VRzoom with any button on my joystick, the button I choose doesn't actually zoom, it acts as an on/off switch that allows another button that I don't have mapped, in this case my gun and missile fire switch to zoom. I can't prevent this from happening.

This can be a little dangerous!

I have something similar that is hard coded. When I map VRzoom with any button on my joystick, the button I choose doesn't actually zoom, it acts as an on/off switch that allows another button that I don't have mapped, in this case my gun and missile fire switch to zoom. I can't prevent this from happening.

This can be a little dangerous!

That is odd, sounds like it set as a switch rather than a modifier - not sure though why it would be a button that is not mapped.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That is odd, sounds like it set as a switch rather than a modifier - not sure though why it would be a button that is not mapped.

It won't map to the buttons I try. Correction to what I previously stated, it's the pinkie shift not the trigger that actually enables VR zoom...seems to be hard coded.

It won't map to the buttons I try. Correction to what I previously stated, it's the pinkie shift not the trigger that actually enables VR zoom...seems to be hard coded.

Strange indeed...

IIRC assigning the button sometimes does not take until a restart of DCS , but am sure you have done that.

Have you gone into controls and selected search from the drop down selection box for your module of choice, and pressed the pinky button to see if it takes you to a command?

Don B

I've mapped it to one of the keys on my Razer Chroma keyboard and it works fine.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Strange indeed...

IIRC assigning the button sometimes does not take until a restart of DCS , but am sure you have done that.

Yes this I'm aware of

Have you gone into controls and selected search from the drop down selection box for your module of choice, and pressed the pinky button to see if it takes you to a command?

I'll do that this evening and get back.

Strange indeed...

Dburne, I sorted out the VR zoom. I forgot to delete the DCS installed default entry for the button I chose so I was ending up with a duplicate. Funny it didn't indicate that in the menu box.

I'm not sure I understand how the modifiers are used. I understand it allows 1 button on your joystick to be mapped to different commands with the use of the different modifiers, examples would be Lalt + #4 button for VRzoom and Lctrl + #4 button for recenter. The way I was able to do this was by pressing the modifier on my keyboard and then the #4 button on my joystick. Unless you set up some buttons on your joy stick to be modifiers, then you need to press 2 buttons.

Is this how you did it?

Edited by fitness88

Dburne, I sorted out the VR zoom. I forgot to delete the DCS installed default entry for the button I chose so I was ending up with a duplicate. Funny it didn't indicate that in the menu box.

:thumbup:

I'm not sure I understand how the modifiers are used. I understand it allows 1 button on your joystick to be mapped to different commands with the use of the different modifiers, examples would be Lalt + #4 button for VRzoom and Lctrl + #4 button for recenter. The way I was able to do this was by pressing the modifier on my keyboard and then the #4 button on my joystick. Unless you set up some buttons on your joy stick to be modifiers, then you need to press 2 buttons.

Is this how you did it?

I do not use keys on my keyboard as modifier, I don't want to be pressing keys especially with VR. Also I do all my controller settings in the DCS GUI, not my joystick software.

I set the paddle on my joystick as a modifier. Then I can assign two commands to one button press.

For example - Hat4 Up = gear up. Paddle+Hat4 Up = gear down. I can use that Paddle button then as a modifier on any button. This doubles the amount of actions I can assign to buttons. I personally only use one modifier, in my case the Paddle on my Warthog joystick. So my paddle acts as a modifier, so press it and then a button I have it do one thing, press a button without paddle it does another - at least some buttons I have set up in that manner.

One can also assign a button as a shift register, ie press the button and it is on, press again and it is off. So rather than press and hold, just press it is on and assign commands, press again and it is off and assign different commands. I never really use it in this way myself...

Hope this helps,

Don B

:thumbup:

I do not use keys on my keyboard as modifier, I don't want to be pressing keys especially with VR. Also I do all my controller settings in the DCS GUI, not my joystick software.

I set the paddle on my joystick as a modifier. Then I can assign two commands to one button press.

For example - Hat4 Up = gear up. Paddle+Hat4 Up = gear down. I can use that Paddle button then as a modifier on any button. This doubles the amount of actions I can assign to buttons. I personally only use one modifier, in my case the Paddle on my Warthog joystick. So my paddle acts as a modifier, so press it and then a button I have it do one thing, press a button without paddle it does another - at least some buttons I have set up in that manner.

One can also assign a button as a shift register, ie press the button and it is on, press again and it is off. So rather than press and hold, just press it is on and assign commands, press again and it is off and assign different commands. I never really use it in this way myself...

Hope this helps,

I like using the Saitek software it gives me lots of keyboard options but in UI for VRzoom I cannot assign a keyboard key so I have to interact with DCS control directly which I've not been doing till now.

With Saitek software I use a shift state like a modifier, but with shift state you must hold the shift state button down while pressing what ever other command button you want. Is that the way you are doing it, pressing a modifier button while pressing a command button?

Edited by fitness88

Is that the way you are doing it, pressing a modifier button while pressing a command button?

Yes.

Example:

My Paddle on joystick I have assigned as a modifier.

So I can hold paddle in and press another button whilst paddle is held in and it does one thing, press that same other button without paddle held in it does another - whatever I have assigned to it...

Don B

Yes.

Example:

So I can hold paddle in and press another button whilst paddle is held in and it does one thing, press that same other button without paddle held in it does another - whatever I have assigned to it...

Thanks for the follow-up dburne. With joy stick software some prefer using it along with the shift states to map to the keyboard, some like you prefer working directly through the Game controls and using modifiers...but you don't want to do both. Up until UI it all worked well mapping to the keyboard. It's just a few commands that are not able to be keyboard mapped so I'll work it out.

Interesting that some of UI commands don't map to the keyboard?

Yes.

Example:

Latching a button in Saitek software allows me to toggle on/off VRzoom, but now that I'm flying more in the F-15 than the Mig-29 due to much clearer gauges I don't use it that much. I do agree with you that using it allows for much better view range.

Also VRcenter has an advantage over the kp5 key which I thought did the same thing, but VRcenter just centers the HUD without putting your eye position back to the default position, which is a great thing. So no more kp5.

I just discovered in controls the actual 2 modifier windows that open from buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I'm going to spend some time and see if I want to redo my mapping through the DCS controls.

The thing is with Saitek software I can get a nice graphic of my key mapping and put it into my kneeboard for a cheat sheet until I get it memorized. I don't think DCS has that?

Edited by fitness88

I just discovered in controls the actual 2 modifier windows that open from buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I'm going to spend some time and see if I want to redo my mapping through the DCS controls.

The thing is with Saitek software I can get a nice graphic of my key mapping and put it into my kneeboard for a cheat sheet until I get it memorized. I don't think DCS has that?

No unfortunately it does not, I pretty much commit mine to memory as soon as I can. I try and keep regular controls on the same buttons throughout the modules I have to make this a little easier. I used to use TARGET software to do my controller profiles, but have found the DCS control setup menu more than adequate for my needs and prefer to use it now.

It really is just a matter of personal preference...

Note: Be careful though when adding a button as a modifier in the DCS control menu, it allows one to set it to behave either as a modifier ( modifier button held whilst pressing another button), or a shift state button ( press the modifier button once and it changes to the shifted state, press again to change back to non shifted state). In the DCS controls menu , I have on more than one occasion missed this and set my paddle up as a shift button rather than a press and hold button by accident, then find myself pulling my hair out on why that button does not behave LOL.

Don B

No unfortunately it does not, I pretty much commit mine to memory as soon as I can. I try and keep regular controls on the same buttons throughout the modules I have to make this a little easier. I used to use TARGET software to do my controller profiles, but have found the DCS control setup menu more than adequate for my needs and prefer to use it now.

It really is just a matter of personal preference...

Note: Be careful though when adding a button as a modifier in the DCS control menu, it allows one to set it to behave either as a modifier ( modifier button held whilst pressing another button), or a shift state button ( press the modifier button once and it changes to the shifted state, press again to change back to non shifted state). In the DCS controls menu , I have on more than one occasion missed this and set my paddle up as a shift button rather than a press and hold button by accident, then find myself pulling my hair out on why that button does not behave LOL.

Thanks for the heads up on the shift state v. modifier. In Saitek software there is a mode controller which is top tier, then separate shiftstates for each mode then finally the modifiers.

With Saitek, it's easy to forget sometimes when you first customize a button by 'latching' it thereby making it on till you click again and as a consequence you miss a perfect shooting solution.

Also I think I have too many commands mapped that I never use so I've got to cut back on that.

Edited by fitness88

• 2 months later...

Shame I didn't find this thread before spending an hour or so trying to deactivate the numpad 5 re center!

Would be nice to see that fixed one day...

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Would be nice to see that fixed one day...

+1! Please free Num5 :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I have just added a numberpad to a bracket on my left arm rest to use whilst flying in the rift. I have all those keys at my fingertips. However I want to assign options in the UI layer like having number 4 as right mouse button or assign a zoom key etc. Anyway round the fact that you can presently only assign joystick buttons ?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Still no love with this trouble. Sucks as I use my num5 in many modules as 5 on the in game computer (A10, Ka50, Viggen, M2000)

• Like 1

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg