How to edit LUA to achieve 1:1 trim movement

RudderButt

Hello all! I have constructed a replica left pedestal assembly from the original factory drawings and I find that the trim delay actually penalizes the effort I've gone to to build it. For what it's worth, I don't wish to engage in a debate about realism. I would be tremendously grateful to whoever can point me in the right direction because my own digging around in the LUA didn't yield any results.

Edited by RudderButt

Thank you for your reply! The thinking goes that, because the trim tab is connected to a series of pulleys, it cannot be instantaneously turned. I can believe that and not having turned one myself I cannot attest to how realistically DCS simulates this. Even so, the Spitfire elevator trim does not have such a delay and I can't imagine the mechanism being that different from the P-51 (pulleys, bellcranks, etc.) So in this way, DCS is inconsistent. Also, I would less frustrated if it only prevented large movements from happening instantly but I feel that even small corrections take too much time to complete.

Edited by RudderButt

• 2 weeks later...

The trim delay is a PITA, no doubt about it.

In the sim, I find that if you aren't using pronounced curves on your axis assignments, tiny adjustments in your stick or rudder pedals can get a sudden response if they are too abrupt. I'm experimenting with adjusting the curves and saturation on my trim axes as well. They don't need to be set to straight lines, and I doubt that you would need 'full' trim for the Mustang in the sim.

My rig uses an old Logitech Wingman force feedback driving wheel as elevator trim with the wheel mounted right beside my left hip; with no power applied to the controller the wheel stays where you put it, but the trim on the Mustang is extremely sensitive and you just have to practice and learn to anticipate the amount of trim wheel movement you need. (when you've been simming for as long as I have, old controllers get re-purposed)

The same goes for the rudder trim; very, very sensitive and with the delay, hardly worth the trouble. I'm considering whether I should try to put a much bigger dial/knob on my trim pots with some kind of 'click' mechanism to give me some kind of idea of how much trim I've dialed in without having to look at the trim knob on the monitor or the actual one on my side panel.

Reading wartime and early post war descriptions of the P-51 though, an awful lot of the pilots who flew it in combat seemed to think that trim (in the Mustang) was generally unnecessary compared to say, the P-47, or P-39s and the P-40s which most of them trained on; the stick and rudder forces were considered (almost too) light for the era, and rarely needed large or sudden movements. In addition, the real stick didn't have centering springs like most of the sticks simmers use, so there wasn't the kind of centering stick pressure you get in the sim when you aren't trimmed 'just so.' You more or less 'felt' the sweet spot when flying straight and level, something DCS hasn't figured out how to tell its virtual pilots.

Until it does, though, we will just have to adapt and overcome.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Thank you for your thorough reply! While three people does not a consensus make, it would seem that DCS may miss the mark when it comes to realism on this particular issue. Your post got me thinking, does the ability to trim one's aircraft quickly confer any unfair advantage in a competitive environment? As that is the only circumstance under which I would wholeheartedly expect Eagle Dynamics to draw the line at. In real life, trim is no more than a quality of life feature for level, coordinated flight. A means to reduce pilot fatigue. For my money, the imposition of this delay in trim undermines its real world purpose! Hopefully some LUA wizard will show up and help our fledgling consensus to take this aspect of the sim into our own hands.

Thank you for your thorough reply! While three people does not a consensus make, it would seem that DCS may miss the mark when it comes to realism on this particular issue. Your post got me thinking, does the ability to trim one's aircraft quickly confer any unfair advantage in a competitive environment? As that is the only circumstance under which I would wholeheartedly expect Eagle Dynamics to draw the line at. In real life, trim is no more than a quality of life feature for level, coordinated flight. A means to reduce pilot fatigue. For my money, the imposition of this delay in trim undermines its real world purpose! Hopefully some LUA wizard will show up and help our fledgling consensus to take this aspect of the sim into our own hands.

There are just some things that are impossible to simulate without a moving cockpit and a force feedback type stick (and rudder pedals)--all well beyond the financial reach of the average flight simmer.

The DCS modeled trim delay may or may not be accurate, but in the real aircraft, I would expect the change to be 'felt' before it becomes significant enough to show on the needle and ball. Small controller trim knobs or levers make it extra hard to be precise and stay ahead of the airplane.

A lot of the sensitivity issues we get with the Mustang are due to the short throw of the joystick controllers we have, so an extension is supposed to be good for some aircraft that require very small adjustments, like the Mustang or Spitfire.

I got a 20 cm Virpil curved extension for my Warthog recently, but it sits a bit too high on my current rig for comfort and I'm trying to figure out a way to mount it without too much surgery on my Openwheeler (which I cannot recommend enough) seat & frame. Ideally, I'd want to be able to switch back and forth, according to what I'm flying and still have the stick's handle at about the same height.

The manufacturer has advertised an upcoming adaptor kit for extended sticks, but then the virus shutdown took effect...

A small plywood platform may have to be designed, if it can be anchored properly.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

For what it's worth, I do have a force feedback stick and you do feel the trim adjustments. I modified a Microsoft Sidewinder in a very similar fashion to the one

. In my first post I referenced the fact that the current behavior penalizes my effort of having built the pedestal assembly but it's more accurate to say that my force feedback stick is what suffers as a result of it. Despite the fact that the knob is 1:1 in size and one full turn yields full trim in either direction, because the in game knob turns so slowly, you can easily over trim which causes a serious deflection in the stick that you have to correct for. So yes, you feel it but in an inconvenient way.

However, what you don't feel is the sensation of sideslip which would alert you to your uncoordinated flight. I would like to purchase one of those vibrating cushions for more immersion but no feedback for sideslip is almost a deal breaker. As for a plywood platform, I can't recommend that enough! I have routed all of my cords beneath it and my rudder pedals are mounted firmly down to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Feedback and trimming settings are important for this purpose. Achieving the Modification in Microsoft Sidewinder as demonstrated by the video you share is not easy, but following the appropriate steps can be done. Based on the fact that the knob is 1: 1 in size and a full turn produces a full cut in any direction but you can have the result you want.

Flying is a passion!

You can need medial appoinment in https://nearbyall.com/

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 1:19 AM, danikiko said:

Hello! Feedback and trimming settings are important for this purpose. Achieving the Modification in Microsoft Sidewinder as demonstrated by the video you share is not easy, but following the appropriate steps can be done. Based on the fact that the knob is 1: 1 in size and a full turn produces a full cut in any direction but you can have the result you want.

Thank you, this information was very helpful to me 😀