DCS 2020 and Beyond PC Build!

I have yet to see a PC that is pre-built in masses that doesnt cut corners here and there. Be it the drives, the PSU or a cheap mainboard.

Thing is, if you buy a pre-made PC the seller knows that you know next to nothing about PC's and will trick you with hidden details. Sorry to say this.

2nd thing I may add. The PC can be astronomically good...but if you dont know how to handle the system it will degrade in performance pretty fast. So if you know how to "treat" a rig, go to a local shop and tell him what to put together and NOT CUT ANY CORNERS, from the board down to the fans and a beefy custom DIY WC Loop with all the goodies you will learn to love over time.

Best, DIY A-Z

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have yet to see a PC that is pre-built in masses that doesnt cut corners here and there. Be it the drives, the PSU or a cheap mainboard.

Thing is, if you buy a pre-made PC the seller knows that you know next to nothing about PC's and will trick you with hidden details. Sorry to say this.

2nd thing I may add. The PC can be astronomically good...but if you dont know how to handle the system it will degrade in performance pretty fast. So if you know how to "treat" a rig, go to a local shop and tell him what to put together and NOT CUT ANY CORNERS, from the board down to the fans and a beefy custom DIY WC Loop with all the goodies you will learn to love over time.

Best, DIY A-Z

OK what if I went the other way an put one together. Since I haven't built a computer in over 15 years I don't know squat about what's out there or how much..

What would be best to not go over say $1,200.00 and how fast would it be?

Guys just to let you know, I finally got the Ryzen 7 3700X and the RTX 2070.

Min fps is 47 at low level flying over Las Vegas at night, with the Tomcat. Graphics High Settigns.

Average fps level is 60 in those conditions.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Have a good one.

2ORqeDZ.png

Try turning off SSLR, on my computer having this off massively increased performance (like 2X)

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

If I wanted to have absolutely the best Desktop PC (Not laptop) with the fastest CPU/GPU, highest possible graphics and plenty of HD storage for this and upcoming DCS modules what would I be needing?

Not looking to build just buy it already pre-built.

OK what if I went the other way an put one together. Since I haven't built a computer in over 15 years I don't know squat about what's out there or how much..

What would be best to not go over say $1,200.00 and how fast would it be?

Here is your problem:

1,200.00US$ and top tier PC.

With 1200$ you have to make a few compromises, mostly with the GPU as a top tier GPU alone will cost you about 1,200 +/- !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Here is your problem:

1,200.00US$ and top tier PC.

With 1200$ you have to make a few compromises, mostly with the GPU as a top tier GPU alone will cost you about 1,200 +/- !

$1200.00 JUST FOR A GPU?!!

I know it's been a while but DAAMMMNNNN!

If I wanted to have absolutely the best Desktop PC (Not laptop) with the fastest CPU/GPU, highest possible graphics and plenty of HD storage for this and upcoming DCS modules what would I be needing?

Not looking to build just buy it already pre-built.

• Intel 10600K/10700K/10900K
  • NVIDIA 2080Ti
  • 16 - 32 GB 3200 CL14-14-14-3X / 3600 CL16-16-16-3X
  • 2TB NVME (CPU channel connected)

Tune to taste/budget.

See above. Get pricing.

Try the reece components but stick to a budget.

Between 1.000 to 2.000 $ you should get a top build (double that on a good prebuilt machine).

A 10600K / Z490 Mb Pc will put you on a reasonable budget and very good performance.

But: Man!..... Don´t ask for a "no compromise" Pc build (and prebuilt) withought ignoring just the basic street prices, because there are 7.000 $ prebuilt gaming PCs and more.

You can do better with a little research and youtube. (And be proud of that).

The pc I built (below) costed $1400+ WITHOUT a new gpu . Prolly will be $2300 with a 3080 when i upgrade (2700 if decide on a ti) . My advice would be to continue saving while waiting for Ampere/RDNA2 to arrive later this year to get the best bang for your gpu buck .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Try the reece components but stick to a budget.

Between 1.000 to 2.000 $ you should get a top build (double that on a good prebuilt machine).

A 10600K / Z490 Mb Pc will put you on a reasonable budget and very good performance.

But: Man!..... Don´t ask for a "no compromise" Pc build (and prebuilt) withought ignoring just the basic street prices, because there are 7.000 $ prebuilt gaming PCs and more.

You can do better with a little research and youtube. (And be proud of that).

Putting it together has never been my problem.

It's knowing how to program everything once it's built.

Windows is very easy to install , Winaero is a good utility to streamline the OS and Nvidea settings require minimal changes from default . BIOS settings as well . And Britec's channel on YT is an invaluable resource for pc tuning .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Basically, once you install windows and Steam platform you are ready to go.

Then upgrade the Graphic drivers and that´s it.

Yes, you can optimeze Bios, etc, but you don´t have to, if you don´t want it.

And youtube is to the rescue on every step you may need.

Believe us, it´s the safest way.

Once you are done you´ll be intimately ligated to your machine and will know how to solve any future problem and upgrade you can imagine.

And you have this forum too! (many people who like to help)

The other route is to go to a local shop and pay a little to the guy in charge to build your Pc with the list of components that you have and a bit of conversation with them. (But ask for a warranty).

• 1 month later...

Jesus Guys.. talking about making a guy want to update his PC. :)

Low end Spec here:

Ryzen R5 1600AF OC3.8Ghz

Rx570 10% OC on clocks

16Gb 2667 mhz DDR4

2x 500gb NVME SSD

45-100fps freeflight

30-60fps on full missions in DCS liberation 2 missions @1080p

Delan clip & opentrack (60fps)

T.flight Hotas X :joystick:

2 ipads for remote screens:megalol:

Visual quality on the ground.... yeah I can see where some might want better visuals of the grass.

Visual quality in the air:pilotfly:.. who has time to look at graphics when 2 Mig29's are honing in on you and you have 2 SA-9 launching at ur ass, and all your wingman can do is shout Bingo then eject (ED seriously need to fix that)

Besides the view from my parachute always looks damn good to me :D

Joking aside I was going to get a 5700xt but holding out for RDNA2 now.... looks a game changer and CHEAP. So I second all the opinions about DONT BUY A GPU YET.

DCS settings:

Textures-Medium

Terrain-low

traffic-off

water-low

visib range-high

heat blur-low (cuz its cool)

shadows-medium

Rez-1920x2100 dual screen for MFD's

Res of coc.-512:music_whistling:

MSAA-Off

Depth of field-Off

Lens-Dirt

Motion-Off

SSAA-Off

SSLR-Pffff OFF

grass-200

trees-75%

Preload-10000

Chimney-0

Antidooda-4x

terrain shadows-flat

rain-on

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

2 ipads for remote screens:megalol:

What are you using the Ipads for?

I would love to be able to set those up to use strictly as MFDs.

Visual quality on the ground.... yeah I can see where some might want better visuals of the grass.

Visual quality in the air:pilotfly:.. who has time to look at graphics when 2 Mig29's are honing in on you and you have 2 SA-9 launching at ur ass, and all your wingman can do is shout Bingo then eject (ED seriously need to fix that)

Besides the view from my parachute always looks damn good to me :D

I dunno. There's something about having realistic ground textures that is so much more immersive. One of my biggest turn-offs in DCS is flying thru the mountains in the Caucasus map and seeing pointy mountain tops or blurry textures.

Check out this video done on an FSX simulator using the F4 Phantom.

You've gotta jump to 3:30 before it really gets good. The cloud layering at 7:30 is top notch!!

This was 5 years ago and the outside graphics are incredible. Between the ground textures and the mist and variable cloud cover it's incredible. The cockpit interior is a little lame. Doesn't come close to DCS. But when watching this video and looking out the cockpit as they fly below the mountain tops it looks like they are really flying thru the misty mountains along the Vietnam/Laos border.

Absolutely incredible texturing.

Now if we could combine the two..WOW!!:shocking:

Although the new Syria map looks pretty good.

Just have this Vietnam air war itch that I need to scratch.

Have been swallowing up books about it for the last three months.

Edited by msmith301

What are you using the Ipads for?

I would love to be able to set those up to use strictly as MFDs.

ipad 12" pro running as second monitor for a modded f-16 Cpt Zeens profile with MFD

2nd ipad mini is my graphical button box and is setup for touchportal (limited with my hotas)

I dunno. There's something about having realistic ground textures that is so much more immersive. One of my biggest turn-offs in DCS is flying thru the mountains in the Caucasus map and seeing pointy mountain tops or blurry textures.

Check out this video done on an FSX simulator using the F4 Phantom.

You've gotta jump to 3:30 before it really gets good. The cloud layering at 7:30 is top notch!!

This was 5 years ago and the outside graphics are incredible. Between the ground textures and the mist and variable cloud cover it's incredible. The cockpit interior is a little lame. Doesn't come close to DCS. But when watching this video and looking out the cockpit as they fly below the mountain tops it looks like they are really flying thru the misty mountains along the Vietnam/Laos border.

Absolutely incredible texturing.

Now if we could combine the two..WOW!!:shocking:

Although the new Syria map looks pretty good.

Just have this Vietnam air war itch that I need to scratch.

Have been swallowing up books about it for the last three months.

Yeah I agree that would be pretty cool.... maybe with RDNA2 and Vulkan just around the corner we might be get there....... MS2020 will be pushing everyone HARD so its maybe not that far away :D

seriously cool vid. cant wait for the F4 in DCS :megalol:

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

If I was to build a new system right now that's what I would build and would pretty much match my system I have now I think. Plus it would be ready for any Vulkan improvements with it's 8 Cores.

Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX2070 (Super) or 5700 XT: 39 Game Benchmark

32 GB Ram (3200 Mhz) Suit AMD

This is of course going off best bang for the buck and what DCS / Track IR can deliver at the moment.... You need to hold (Locked) 60 or 120 FPS for Track ir using nvidia Inspector or an autoexec.cfg DCS option file.

No system can hold 120. My system now can hold max setting MSAA x2, SSAA OFF and that's also at 1440P on a very large server so I'm still very happy with it.

1440 is still the sweet spot here.

That new system would also suit the mid range VR headsets like the Rift S. I still run the Rift CV1 and PD of 1.5 and lower a few setting down like the view distance. Would need to lower more if I used it online. I don't as I only use it for half hour at a time, case 1's etc. Get's annoying after a bit for me.

If you have the cash to throw around for large 4K screens and or the Valve index with it's specs and want the best experience now for DCS. Then yes 9900K and 2080ti makes more sense. That's more than double the cost, including that VR headset.

Valve Index

Two RGB LCDs running at 1,440 x 1,600 pixels, capable of a 120Hz (or 144Hz)

Samsung Odyessy +

Dual 3.5" AMOLED (1440x1600 ea)

The Rift S has a slightly higher-resolution screen than the original Rift, at 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye instead of 1200 x 1080. Rift S only refreshes at a rate of 80Hz.

I still use a 4 core system and can still hold 60 fps @ 1440P for recording. The CPU is only running at 4.8 GHz at the moment as that can still hold the 60 fps.

Example

GTX 1080 Ti vs. RTX 2070 Super vs. 5700 XT: 39 Game Benchmark

David OC, this PIP video is amazing. How did you capture?

i say wait until 3000 series.

To anyone here I mean i hope you dont end up being that guy who buys a 2080 or even a 2080TI just now given thier price, when the 3000 series looming right around the corner, offer a much better price-performance ratio.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

To anyone here I mean i hope you dont end up being that guy who buys a 2080 or even a 2080TI just now given thier price, and the soon to be released 3000 series card that are priced way better relative to 2000 series with much better performance.

That was hilarious!!!! But if the 2080Ti does drop to $400-$500, it would be a good buy for the bargain hunters. Especially for DCS where DLSS and RTX is a moot point.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

To anyone here I mean i hope you dont end up being that guy who buys a 2080 or even a 2080TI just now given thier price, when the 3000 series looming right around the corner, offer a much better price-performance ratio.

You'll need new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU (for the best bound with the card), and in many case, new power supply unit to get the most of those cards.

So I'll wait until 1) They have proven themselves. 2) Their price came down significantly. 3) People figured what's the best CPU/RAM combination for the lowest bottleneck percentage possible.

I'll finish my 1080Ti-based upgrade this month, and hopefully it's gonna last me a few years, since I'm used to low end PCs I won't mind seeing super-fast PC specs as long as I can play this game in VR with good graphic.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, Peter97 said:

I'm planning on building a new PC with aproximately 1500€.

I want what every DCS pilot wants, not a single FPS drop or inconsistency, flying sensation when dogfighting at low altitude, and so on...

Having said that, I am looking forward to take advantage of the future optimizations ED will develop (Vulkan API for example) although I don't want to fly with VR glasses nor multimonitor or video editing, just DCS World at Full HD.

I have been told AMD Ryzens will take advantage of future developments better than old Intel CPUs (i5-9600K for instance) because of their "modern" architecture.

Also, it seems like the most badass rigs people have, like Wags' or Ralfidude's, work with i9-9900, but obviously those will be out of my league.

So basically I would love to have the same performance (visual performance I mean) that Ralfidude or Wags show on their vids.

Do you think it can be accomplished with that amount of money?

Last but not least, the rig I am planning right now is: Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX2070

Also I have been told RTX won't be as useful as an older but quicker GTX 10 series. What do you think of that?

I have a Ryzen 3700X paired with an RTX 2070 Super FE and 32GB 3200Mhz Ram along with a Samsung EVO Plus NVME 1TB SSD and it is perfect for the job. Get great framerates in 4k with the settings all as high as they go except SSLR off and the one below it and Trees are set to 1600 I believe. Also have cockpit set to 1080 for every frame and it really runs great even in the F-14B in a pretty heavy mission still get about 85-95 FPS with occasion dips down to 40 when everything is just loading up or it just gets really crazy but that is rare. Typically does not dip below 60 FPS Ever and nothing is overclocked except my 3700X is set to Automatic OC/Precision Boost Mode.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi guys and gals im new here and to DCS i just got this pc Amazon.com: Skytech Archangel Gaming Computer PC Desktop – Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz, GTX 1660 6G, 500GB SSD, 8GB DDR4 3000MHz, RGB Fans, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 802.11AC Wi-Fi: Computers & Accessories and was wondering what else do i need to do to this PC to make this game run on high graphics do i need more ram or a better graphics cards or do i just need to a stronger PC im new to pc stuff like overclocking and squeezing out every last piece of horsepower out of it so please if u guys can give me some helpful tips that'll be much appreciated 

Hey uh...Penetration247... 🙂 

Welcome to the DCS forums!

You picked a relevant topic but for a question like this probably best to start a new thread.

You pretty much answered your own question though. That's a decent CPU to start. You'll want to go to at least 16 GB RAM (32 even better) and upgrade GPU to the best you can afford. Preferably Nvidia 3060 Ti or better, or one of the AMD 6000 series. 

AMD chips are sold with very little overclocking headroom. If you are interested in OCing an AMD system you'll want to focus on the RAM. Get some good fast RAM with a fast XMP profile that you can OC even further and tighten the timings on. 

After RAM and GPU you want to see what kind of CPU your motherboard can handle. If you can go to 32 GB RAM, get a 3060 Ti, and throw in a 5600x your system will be able to push graphics that look as good as the Youtube videos. 

Sn8ke_iis

• Like 1