Radar range of the Viper (and Hornet)

bies

In MP servers i've been able to find (and fully track) tagrets above 100 miles on regular basis. This inspierd me to make some simple scenario in editor and try to detect and track a contact in identical conditions using both Viper and Hornet.

Target was MiG-21bis, aspect 180, 35000ft, 0,9Ma. My speed for both Viper and Hornet also 0,9Ma, 2Bars, 60 deg.

I was able to detect it with Hornet's radar right below 50 miles and track at about 45 miles when as a Viper - detect and track right below 80 miles.

Obviously both are EA, especially Viper and their radars are going to be revised in following weeks, but what could be - approximate - range in both planes irl? hornet's radar could be a bit bigger and has a stronger power but it could be a bit compromised by over the sea filtering?

cheers

Yeah, id expect the opposite result.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was testing this too the other day and I realized that the Viper's radar is not affected by ECM as of yet.

The Hornet will indicate that it has trouble locking a jamming target in STT, by switching to MEM and eventually dropping the lock altogether, until burn-through. After that, it'll be able to STT the target. I don't remember the ranges involved though. Same test with the Viper and I could lock the target as soon as I spotted it.

There were some people that said they noticed poor detection with the Hornet's radar after the last update, but I can't say that I have. I was playing an SP mission yesterday and I could detect targets for 60+ NM.

And yes, I also agree that the APG-73 Phase II of the Hornet should perform better (much better?) than the Viper's APG-68(V)5.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

And yes, I also agree that the APG-73 Phase II of the Hornet should perform better (much better?) than the Viper's APG-68(V)5.

Yes, it has a larger aperture and more processing power. IDK how they compare with regard to power, but that alone should give the Hornet better aquisition range.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Ultimately those expected contact ranges (ECR) are classified, but it's safe to generalize and say the Hornet will outclass the viper by some margin in this area. It's no secret the Viper radar isn't that great and one of the biggest gripes in the community. That will improve with the AESA radar replacements now showing up at some guard units.