Warthog problems

Shuenix

Hi

My old X52 is worn up, so I am getting a new HOTAS.

First I thought about the Logitech X56, but then I read several reviews about the TM Warthogs and how good it is.

But reseaching the Warthog, I found a lot of articles about its sticky problem and people having to dismantle the the stick and regrease.

1. Have TM corected that problem on new sticks?

2. Can anyone give me an idea how common this issue is?

3. Is the little joystick on the throttle realy bad, since people replace it with 3rd party stick?

I am finding it a little concerning a HOTAS at this price, has such a problem. More concerning if TM havent done anything to correct it.

Maybe X56 is a better buy, considering the price.

Shuenix

It's a nine+ year old product. I don't think there's going to be a redesign any time soon. I find the stiction problem is nonexistent with a 19" extension installed. My stick base is bolted to floor.

The mini stick issue ,IMO, is blown out of proportion, but I replaced it with the mod and I do see an improved product. I kept my mini stick to add to a controller project I'm thinking about, and I expect it will work fine.

I think both the stick and throttle are great products. I would love to see a new stick WH base with the Ball being replaced by a mechanical cam, but I don't see it happening.

I don't even know if there making any new WHs.

I think one of the most impressive features, if not controversial, is the TARGET Script Editor. There is a lot of things you can do with it, but it takes time to learn.

I hope this helps. I do think it's a great product, not perfect, but TM definitely saw a market not being served nearly a decade ago and served it.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Hi

First I thought about the Logitech X56, but then I read several reviews about the TM Warthogs and how good it is.

But reseaching the Warthog, I found a lot of articles about its sticky problem and people having to dismantle the the stick and regrease.

3. Is the little joystick on the throttle realy bad, since people replace it with 3rd party stick?

I am finding it a little concerning a HOTAS at this price, has such a problem. More concerning if TM havent done anything to correct it.

Shuenix

I own/use the TMWH for approximately 1 year now (bought it 2nd hand for a bargain) and I don't have any issues with stickyness, nor with the standard microstick. The latter one does require some getting used to and as for stickyness, I do have everything bolted sturdy to my seat.

Sure all those mods may enhance the overal product, but are they mandatory for proper play and enjoyment? The answer is most definitely "no"

I have no mods installed and I'm able to do everything a modern fighter jet needs to do, with "ease" (AAR, slewing a tgp, hovering choppers and the av8b, landing on a carrier... to name a few :D)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yes, the gimbal in Warthog is bad, if you compare to any spring joystick. Zeroing point is very strong but from the other side it isn't right to compare Warthog to toys. It's replica of a real thing addressed to simers who like to replicate a real plane controllers. Read: for further moding.

If you just looking for controller to make things nice and easy to play, stay away from it. It's not for you. It's big, heavy, handle is made from steal, so in cold room you have to use gloves to handle that beast. Any spring joystick I use is faster and more precise near the zero point - mechanically. If you looking for something nice and different than yours X56, look at used Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (not in production anymore) - not a spring, not a cam or sensor but force feedback solution. Best home joystick is there. Nice and very precise to use. Everything depends what you expect from controller, looks like Warthog isn't for you, just yet.

handle is made from steal, so in cold room you have to use gloves

Art of exaggeration :lol:

@Shuenix, just get that Warthog mate. The steel feels great, it's easy to use and you can always modify it later if you want. Or do like me, purchase it second hand and save some money for your next DCS module

Edited by sirrah
Typo

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi

Shuenix

All those issues are still there - plus a lot more that aren't mentioned.

If you aim at flying the A10C a lot I recommend buying it - if not I recommend skipping. Especially because the Warthog lacks a lot of necessary controls you need to replicate fighters or space aircraft.

Neither the stick nor the throttle have good mechanics / electronics.

Modding and upgrading will get you easily where better alternatives sit that will last you for decades because of decent construction.

By the way, even real planes don't always have metal grips. In fact the more advanced the plane the less likely it has a metal grip.

Best regards