Major F-15 Take-off Issue

So I've been playing on the "Virtual Aerobatics Test Server" and every time I try to take off, while riding down the runway, my F-15 always veers to the left or right, off of the runway. I am still a new player so I'm not sure what problem is causing this and would greatly appreciate any advice or information you guys have to offer.

Some reference points:

- I have seen other players in that server take off and they don't have that issue. Their F-15 flies directly straight off the runway

-I have used a MiG 29, Su 27, SU 33, etc on the SAME SERVER and none of them have this problem. They all fly STRAIGHT off the runway

- There is crosswind on that server, but all the other planes are unaffected by it while taking off (they all stay straight except for the F-15) why should the F-15 be pushed around like this?

-My joystick settings have been refined according to the multiple guides on this forum (there is never unnecessary feedback). I have a Logitec 3d Extreme Pro joystick.

-I have smooth, excellent handling in the air; the only problem is take off

-Ping is 30

This guy on Youtube shows how he keeps the aircraft straight while taking off around 3:30 in the video. Around 100 knots, my F-15 always veers to the left or right of the runway.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by a tame pilot

I'm glad you brought this up. There was another thread about it that fizzled out. The VA server always has a crosswind. The last time I flew it was 4 m/s which is roughly 7 knots. I definitely think there is an FM issue here. The F-15 will start veering even when taxiiing at 20 knots. I've read the F-15 is capable of taking off with a 40 knot crosswind.

The F-15 will start veering even when taxiiing at 20 knots. I've read the F-15 is capable of taking off with a 40 knot crosswind.

YES!! it does veer even while TAXIING, I should have mentioned that in the original post

So no one has a solution for this?

Turn on the other engine maybe, I dunno just speculating.

good god.

i didnt think i needed to put that "i also know how to turn on both engines and read the engine meters" in the "some references" section in my post because i assumed people already knew that

but sadly, in your case, i guess not.

I read someplace else on this forum just last week about turning the nose wheel steering off while taking off after about 60 knts or so. IIRC you had to hold the "nose wheel steering off" button down constantly in order for it to be off. This was in a similar thread about wandering on the runway, but I can't find it now.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

So I've been playing on the "Virtual Aerobatics Test Server" and every time I try to take off, while riding down the runway, my F-15 always veers to the left or right, off of the runway. I am still a new player so I'm not sure what problem is causing this and would greatly appreciate any advice or information you guys have to offer.

Some reference points:

- I have seen other players in that server take off and they don't have that issue. Their F-15 flies directly straight off the runway

-I have used a MiG 29, Su 27, SU 33, etc on the SAME SERVER and none of them have this problem. They all fly STRAIGHT off the runway

- There is crosswind on that server, but all the other planes are unaffected by it while taking off (they all stay straight except for the F-15) why should the F-15 be pushed around like this?

-My joystick settings have been refined according to the multiple guides on this forum (there is never unnecessary feedback). I have a Logitec 3d Extreme Pro joystick.

-I have smooth, excellent handling in the air; the only problem is take off

-Ping is 30

This guy on Youtube shows how he keeps the aircraft straight while taking off around 3:30 in the video. Around 100 knots, my F-15 always veers to the left or right of the runway.

There is a crosswind but other aircraft are certainly affected by it. On the VA server the F-15s spawn at Krasnodar Pashkovsky. The wind is usually 4 m/s at I think 354 degrees. In my Su-27 I'm constantly tapping the rudder to keep it steady on takeoff.

Su-33s and MiG-29s spawn at other locations. The server has dynamic weather which could be why you're seeing less wind during takeoff in those aircraft.

All that being said, in my very limited experience in the Eagle it does appear to be more effected by crosswind that some of the Russian types.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I have the same stick as the OP. A little counter rudder on run up to rotation keeps me online for takeoff. It doesn't take much, but with a little practice it will work.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

I wish I had more to data to provide other than it doesn't feel right. Maybe I just missed the memo regarding disengage NWS, I'll look into that. I just don't see how a 7 knot crosswind can push a 50,000 lb jet that's rolling at 20 knots off the centerline.

Just tested this in the mission editor. 7m/s crosswind on roughly a 90 degree angle from the runway, both the SU-27 as well as the F-15C are affected by the wind and will enter the grass at approximately the same point when leaving all control inputs centralized.

I would recommend being gentle on the rudder inputs and making sure nose wheel steering is off.

EDIT: The A-10A, the Mig-21Bis, and the M-2000C also all leave the runway more or less where the earlier mentioned planes do.

Edited by TheSnark

good god.

i didnt think i needed to put that "i also know how to turn on both engines and read the engine meters" in the "some references" section in my post because i assumed people already knew that

but sadly, in your case, i guess not.

Sorry for being so lazy in my response but it seems to me the obvious answer is, in a crosswind you apply rudder like every other pilot you see taking off in a straight line is doing. NWS is for low speed, you switch this off when down the runway to gain rudder control.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I've said before, NWS is always engaged in the F-15 while the front strut is compressed. NWS has high and low gain settings, that's it. There should be no need to flip a switch during the takeoff roll. And again we aren't talking about taking off in a hurricane or even a 30 knot crosswind. We're talking about crosswinds on the order of pleasant breeze at 7 knots.

Yes, and I told you all aircraft roll off the runway with crosswind. Unless you can provide a track file to show us exactly what you are doing we cannot help you. It will just be a back and forth of people saying 'it feels wrong' or 'it feels right'.

Give yourself a 7 knots crosswind on a runway, take off and show us what's happening. Then we can help you instead of operating on this vague premise.

It seems pretty accurate to me, although I have no experience with takeing off with a jetfighter.

you've got to imagine that the forward thrust is reducing drag that keeps the airplane stationary, from that point onwards the wind has quite a moment on the backwheels(distance nose to MLG is usually longer then tail to MLG) that creates a turning moment.

a tame pilot:

Interesting as I just encountered the same challenge as you. On the 'Open Conflict' server with the indicated wind at ground level of 2m/s which is minimal I never had a push off my taxiing direction like this before. The amount I had to counter turn away from the direction being pushed is disproportionate in this situation.

Flying off-line single mission, I have no such issue given the same scenario.

Capture.PNG.2ead86ee2ee199773cf5d5378321a58a.PNG

Edited by fitness88

It seems pretty accurate to me, although I have no experience with takeing off with a jetfighter.

you've got to imagine that the forward thrust is reducing drag that keeps the airplane stationary, from that point onwards the wind has quite a moment on the backwheels(distance nose to MLG is usually longer then tail to MLG) that creates a turning moment.

I'm not really following your logic at all. Let's assume the nose wheel is fixed and aligned with the runway. There is a crosswind perpendicular to the runway heading. The fuselage will block airflow to the downwind wing thus producing less lift than the windward wing. This would result in a rolling moment in the direction of the downwind. The fuselage will also generate a side force in the direction of the wind. I assume the same would be true to the downwind vertical stab/rudder and stabilator. The effect on the vertical stab would create a rolling moment as well. So you apply crosswind controls....use the rudder to stay on centerline and use aileron in to the crosswind to keep the wing from dropping. The F-15 has a strong dihedral though and it will really get away from you in DCS if there is a realistically heavy crosswind.

None of this explains why a 20 knot taxi speed results in the jet being pushed off the centerline like it's made of styrofoam. The pilot should have to make minor corrections during the takeoff roll but it seems logical that CAS should be compensating to maintain commanded heading and roll.

Hey guys; I actually stop flying the F15 because it continued to veer left increasingly with speed. It got to be uncontrollable for me, even with the use of my rudder and I have been with this product since its been out, so its not inexperience. I thought it would be fixed in an update, but no such luck. I'll try adjusting my Axis controls again; maybe it is my mistake. Note: I am happy with the SU27 and SU33 for now.