Dive bombing bugged?

Kim Jong-un

The viggen displays the direction the wind is blowing FROM, and DCS briefing page reports the direction the wind is blowing TO. So the direction will be offset 180 degrees. So far so good. The viggen displays the wind in km/h, and DCS uses m/s (perhaps there's a setting for this but that's beside the point I'm making). So far we're still good.

HOWEVER! For the BK90 to strike its intended target you must enter the wind in m/s into the CK37. I would guess doing so will F up your navigation unless that too is broken in the same way. I just tested this a gazillion times, but you guys are most welcome to try it yourselves.

So if DCS reports wind 90 Deg 5 m/s, you should go to vind and input, then push 27005 and enter. Your bomblets will drop on your waypoint.

If you don't do the above the aircraft will do its doppler thing and automatically select something in the vicinity of 270180, which is in accordance with the manual, but your bomblets will drop way upwind.

This is what I’m talking about. It’s just so much confusion. When I try and enter the wind correction in the ck37 computer. And take the wind settings that is in the mission and multiply with 3,6 to get km/h my bk90 often falls short. 1/3 of the munition is hitting the target.

It’s also confusing with the drift indication on the computer. When the last digit shows 0 you should think you have 0 drift. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. I always get better results when doing a nav fix really close to the target.

I just think that the computer should show a 1 when you have the slightest drift. A 0 should mean axactly that you have 0 drift.

Can any confirm if I basically can have 999 meters in drift and the computer would still show 0 on the ck37?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

For the CK37 to be able to calculate wind drift it needs to be flying (for a while).

I don’t think an additional fix for Bk90 related to navigational drift got into the released patch. Will be in next.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

For the CK37 to be able to calculate wind drift it needs to be flying (for a while).

I don’t think an additional fix for Bk90 related to navigational drift got into the released patch. Will be in next.

What do you mean with fix related to BK90?

Can you confirm that when it says 0 in drift on the CK37 can it in fact be 999 meter in drift?

I'm sorry for being off-topic, but I'm just going to ask anyway.

Is high drag bombing working for you guys? I just tried the offensive anti air instant action mission a few times. Plan and nav, 100 m altitude, Mach .9. The aiming point on the HUD is very far away, and the bombs thus land very short.

I always found this to be a very reliable delivery method, albeit a bit vulnerable to certain types of AA, and very dependent on target being on the waypoint.

Thank you for your comment! I will try the BK90 again in the near future, then.

Is high drag bombing working for you guys? I just tried the offensive anti air instant action mission a few times. Plan and nav, 100 m altitude, Mach .9. The aiming point on the HUD is very far away, and the bombs thus land very short.

I have tried that same mission a bunch of times now using PLAN in both NAV (CCIP) and ANF modes, and I manage to hit the targets pretty consistently with the same release parameters as you (100m, mach .9). I set the QFE by making sure barometric and radar altitudes match while over the water. I guess the target may be a few meters above sea level, and my QFE would be off by an equal amount. Could that make such a big difference?

I'm running the latest open beta by the way, and I assume you are too?

I have tried that same mission a bunch of times now using PLAN in both NAV (CCIP) and ANF modes, and I manage to hit the targets pretty consistently with the same release parameters as you (100m, mach .9). I set the QFE by making sure barometric and radar altitudes match while over the water. I guess the target may be a few meters above sea level, and my QFE would be off by an equal amount. Could that make such a big difference?

I'm running the latest open beta by the way, and I assume you are too?

Using your method, what QFE do you tune?

The kneeboard says 1010.6 at target waypoint. I have tried veenees method of adding 2 hPa to this, making it 1012.6, and then the bombs seem to land correctly.

Maybe it's just that mission, I will try another if I can find the time.

Using your method, what QFE do you tune?

You're absolutely right! I normally end up with a QFE of just above 1012. When I set it to 1010.6 as indicated by the kneeboard the bombs fall short. It feels very touchy, but I guess that type of weapon deployment would need a very accurate QFE setting.

Adding 2 hPA seem to be an ok workaround for now, but I agree this should be looked at by the devs.

Thanks for helping me improve my CCIP bombing skills! :thumbup:

The viggen displays the direction the wind is blowing FROM, and DCS briefing page reports the direction the wind is blowing TO. So the direction will be offset 180 degrees. So far so good. The viggen displays the wind in km/h, and DCS uses m/s (perhaps there's a setting for this but that's beside the point I'm making). So far we're still good.

HOWEVER! For the BK90 to strike its intended target you must enter the wind in m/s into the CK37. I would guess doing so will F up your navigation unless that too is broken in the same way. I just tested this a gazillion times, but you guys are most welcome to try it yourselves.

So if DCS reports wind 90 Deg 5 m/s, you should go to vind and input, then push 27005 and enter. Your bomblets will drop on your waypoint.

If you don't do the above the aircraft will do its doppler thing and automatically select something in the vicinity of 270180, which is in accordance with the manual, but your bomblets will drop way upwind.

I just tested it again

the viggen balances the wind of its own very well

even with very strong wind.

Manual input is not necessary or?:dontgetit:

The Ck37 computer calculates the wind through the Doppler navigation system. My personal guess is that one would need to input the wind manually only if a) you haven't been flying enough for the computer to calculate things accurately or b) somehow you suspect that the navigation system has a fault you need to correct.

I just tested it again

the viggen balances the wind of its own very well

even with very strong wind.

Manual input is not necessary or?:dontgetit:

Well, I am by no means an expert but my understanding is that normally you shouldn't have to manually input wind.

BUT right now there is a bug that will cause BK90 to miss if there's wind. As a workaround you can manually input the wind in m/s. At some point in the future I'd expect this to get fixed, though. Soonish, I hope.

I don't know whether the wind bug affects other weapons than BK90, I haven't tested it, but BK90 is probably the most susceptible weapon to wind. I suppose rockets, guns, and bombs should compensate for wind as well, so you are welcome to test those as well. Don't forget to report back if you do.

I have tried BK90 with wind again. This time I started the mission from runway (instead of airborne) and wind correction worked flawlessly. No manual input needed.

There's something fishy about this still, but apparently my ordinary use case is covered.

As I’ve answered in another thread there was an error related to how navigational drift was simulated with Bk90s that happened to be canceled out if you inputted the opposite wind data. This fix apparently didn’t make it into the latest patch but will be in next.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I have to ask, do you really need to set the QFE at all when you have radar ranging? I mean when the fin is showing the radar is doing the triangulation so you shouldnt need to sett QFE. I have tried several times and for me the QFE setting doesnt matter when i see the fin on the hud?