Realistic 1950's Style Approach Plates for Georgia

justinm11

Hey all,

I was doing some research and found an addon for Fs9 that simulates the Leapfrog mission which the RCAF carried out to take squadrons of Sabres across the atlantic ocean to bases in Europe. Contained within this package was a few actual scans of approach plates to airports that they flew into. They were pretty rudimentary but as I have experience flying into CFB Goosebay all the time, it was awesome to see how things have changed from the mid 50's.

I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making a few approach plates using these as templates for use in DCS World with the Sabre. Below is one I quickly did up this evening for Batumi. I based it off what I imagine a pilot would be issued when they arrived in theatre. I called the Batumi beacon "The Batumi Range" but its based off the NDB as they are practically the same thing. The chart is set up to get you down for a landing runway 13 in pretty poor weather. This still has to be flight checked a bit to confirm it won't slam you into any hills but I've done a similar procedure before without issues.

I did this mainly for myself but if people like this and feel they would use it, I'll probably make a few more for some other airports in theatre. Please let me know what you think, and if you fly it and have any issues with it, let me know. I'll make the changes.

1956437827_BatumiLetdownProcedure.thumb.jpg.e07e3f5f991efbebd98e4ea712d8b919.jpg

• Like 2

I'm glad you like it! It might take me a bit to get more of them done since this is the only one I've really ever used in sim so it was just a matter of putting my procedure to paper. You are more than welcome to put them up once I get them done. I'll send you a PM with my progress updates.

I noticed a few errors on this one when I relooked at it this morning so I'll fix those up before passing along a final copy. Also if you look at your dads old charts and find any information to add to these please let me know! Also do you guys have another airport that you use frequently that you would like me to put at the top of the priority list?

It is a very overlooked part of the simulation. Even though it has more realistic beacon behaviour and tuning than any other flight sim I've ever seen. I love the challenge of bring an A-10C or Sabre down in the fog to a successful landing. At one point I had written down all the lat and long coordinates for the RNAV waypoints in Georgia so that I could use it for the A-10C GPS to help guide me on approaches. Not sure where that list went though :( I haven't done much flying in the sim lately so I'm sure I'm a bit rusty. I'm hoping that making and testing these charts will sharpen my NDB skills again.

Navigation it's crucial and valuable in many situations were you need to reach/land fast,safe or in economy. And I love it with any module! Thanks for you input I'll try tonight on the 21!

Inviato dal mio G7-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

I have flight tested this a few times and it's gotten me close enough to the runway to land everytime so far. I haven't done it in fog yet, but its been proven in an 800ft ceiling, light winds. A few changes I'm going to put on the new chart are as follows

Field Elevation to read 39'MSL. Remove 108'MSL (Not sure where I got that from)

This procedure brings you in on a very long final, so you may wish to shorten up the outbound leg to 2 minutes or fly below 300kts.

Missed approach instructions should read: If not contact by range, immediate climbing left turn heading 310. Climb and maintain 5000ft, speed in turn below 300kts. I performed the missed using a rate one turn and leveling at 3000 was just too low, if you weren't exact with the turn or the speed built up you got dangerously close to the hills.

All these changes will be made in the final version. If you run into any other issues, please pass them along.

Hey all,

I was doing some research and found an addon for Fs9 that simulates the Leapfrog mission which the RCAF carried out to take squadrons of Sabres across the atlantic ocean to bases in Europe. Contained within this package was a few actual scans of approach plates to airports that they flew into. They were pretty rudimentary but as I have experience flying into CFB Goosebay all the time, it was awesome to see how things have changed from the mid 50's.

Nice skins in that add-on :music_whistling:;)

Shameless plug for Flight Ontario:

What started out as an interesting scenery idea became a very in-depth simulation of a fighter wing crossing the Atlantic. Many thanks to Bill Worthy (416 RCAF) who donated his hand drawn pilot's notes from Leapfrog II. If you liked the Leapfrog mission, check out the BCATP scenery packs, turns your watch back to the early 1940s and how various Canadian airfields looked during WW2.

Anyway, here's a link to an RCAF ATC site that has some examples of how official approach plates looked in the early sixties:

http://67.69.104.76:84/rcaf-atc/locations.html

If you click on the original 1 Air Division RCAF stations:

Marville, France

Grostenquin, France

Zweibrucken, (West) Germany

Baden-Soellingen, (West) Germany

and click on "Aerodrome", scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see IFR approach charts and sector control info as presented circa 1963.

Great work, justinm11!

Edited by jocko417