Should I buy the Sabre?

Reflected

I`m really tempted to go for it. I`m never been much into the Korean War era, but the F-86 has a certain charm about it.

What are the pro-s and con-s? Is it fun/ challenging to fly? Currently, I only own the Mustang, and really looking forward to the F-14. I thought the Sabre would keep me busy while waiting for it. I don`t mind the lack of Korean map, the Crimea doesn`t look that much different.

In any case I`ll probably wait for a sale, the regular price is above my budget I`m afraid.

Thanks,

Greg

I'd wait for the sale. It's very similar to the Mustang in a lot of ways. I think the aircraft is very well done. I myself was not much of a Saber fan either, but I bought the F86 on sale and have no regrets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I agree with the others, buy it on sale

This review is 14 months old, but could've been made yesterday, I highly recommend you watch it,

[ame]

[/ame]

.EDIT: On-sale now! 30% off in the Steam Store! (and useable in the stand-alone DCS)

Edited by Vincent90

I agree as well. I love this plane. In fact I'm only flying this one and the Huey (though beside the free planes I only own the A10-C beside those two).

But maybe this is also because I loved buck danny comics ;)

This is a really pretty plane, fun to fly, a bit challenging to land well (to me, but I'm not a talented pilot ^^), with a lot of buttons and gauges, and this plane is really well designed, belsimtek did a great job with it ^^

Funny that without really noticing, the only two ships I bought were from belsimtek ^^

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

I'd wait for the sale. It's very similar to the Mustang in a lot of ways. I think the aircraft is very well done. I myself was not much of a Saber fan either, but I bought the F86 on sale and have no regrets.

I agree. If you like the Mustang you will probably like the Sabre. It's like a Mustang with a jet engine :)

Thanks for your replies!

How easy is it to blow the engine? How about the cage/ uncage gunsight? Is it easy to get the hang of?

Looks like I definitely have to buy it, but I won't do it before a sale comes. How often do they have sales?

I don't know if blowing the engine is a thing in the Sabre. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it's not like the early jets like the Me-262 where the pilot had to be very conscious of how quickly he added throttle. The spool-up on the Sabre is very gradual.

Caging / uncaging is straight-forward. You mechanically uncage when you enter combat and you electrically uncage when you're going in for the kill. But honestly, I don't find it makes a difference if I fail to electrically cage. In reality, I believe it can damage the gyro if you don't cage during hard manouvering.

Compared to the Mustang, the Sabre is a hot rod, easier to fly, and more forgiving IMHO.

Belsimtek's F-86F is a real beauty, a pleasure to operate, and it has a lot of DCS community support.

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5

I think it's a great plane. The only things that stop me from flying on it exclusively is the already-mentioned lack of campaign. Official tutorials would be nice, but they're in the works this very moment.

I also wish there were period units to go up against (mainly ground units). And a period map/theater. There may be mods out there for one or both of those issues. But I've never been a fan of installing mods. So maybe it's my fault that I don't have those experiences. Oh well. In another 5 years hopefully we'll see something come from DCS for it.

But the plane itself is fun to fly. Just don't forget you have limited ammo so don't go shooting up the sky or you'll be empty with no way to get that SOB sitting right in front of you.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals

Simply put, there is NOTHING around in the flight sim community that comes remotely close to this product. Yes it's an early access software product but the depth of it's study into this airframe both internally and externally is without match period You can always try FSX and check if you don't believe me ;-)

Mizzy

Its my fav plane in DCS. I had a blast playing the Outremer Sabre campaign made by Tako.

I havent tried the campaign in 1.5 so im not sure if it works now but it was very good in 1.2.

Sabre campaign - http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1445678/

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW

(Core i7-9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB ram)

TM Warthog - TM T-Flight Pedals - TrackIr 5 - Cougar MFD

Modules

F-86F - T.1A - A-10C - M-2000C - UH-1 - F-5 - P-51 - SA342 - Spitfire - AJS-37 - AV-8B - F/A-18C - L-39 - MiG-21 - MiG-15 - KA-50

FC3 - CA - NTTR - Normandy - WWII AP - LotATC - TacView

For a plane that is not really in the range of the timeline I am really interested in and for a plane that I find looks quite strange - on the edge of being ugly ... I was surprised how quickly it grew on me once I had flown it the first few times.

And while the above is still true for me, it is incredible fun to fly! So, definately a "yes" here as well!

Being mostly a single player and loving campaigns I almost skipped this one. However, there is a Mig alley need in my mind and this one obviously filled that role so I bought it. Now I don't fly anything else. I am absolutely obsessed with flying this gem perfectly that I never even start a campaign or fly combat. I just made a mission with my Sabre and add a few things here and there as I want and just fly. Trying to do everything perfect. I 100% say yes to buying this. Great plane, great release for not technically being "done." I cannot wait for the final product as I am having a blast with it now.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

When it first came out, I definitely would have said no. But this plane has come a long way. It is now one of the planes I play around with the most. A lot of fun to fly and do missions in. Belsimtek really did some great work on the F86.

And the Mig15 is something that you should seriously consider purchasing if you have not already. You'll find yourself struggling to keep up with it in the F86, but it's a lot of fun to blow the F86 out of the sky with the Mig15.

i love the sabre but im mucho sad that there are never sbre mig servers up online

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

We can I find period ground units for the Sabre? And are any campaigns working in 1.5 at the moment?

I've never used JGSME (Did I acronym that right?) but I think if it's easy to understand and use, I'd be all for it to install period units and the like.

EDIT: Nope. I botched it. JSMGE

Edited by kerlix
Acronym error/personal stupidity

ASUS Sabertooth P67 :: Intel i5-2500 3.0 GHz :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 :: 16 GB DDR3 RAM :: Crucial 240 GB SSD :: WD Black 2TB HD :: 50" Magnavox TV as monitor :: TrackIR 5 :: Saitek X52 :: Saitek Rudder Pedals