New VR Settings for 2.5

Wags

I just don't log into steam, and launch DCS directly into VR. Controllers never even come on.

(I also dont need steam running in the background anyway)

Don't understand what the problem is with those vive touch controllers.

I launch DCS World with the mouse, without turning the vive controllers on, and so the hands never appear... as I never turn them on...

Also, unsure even in VR how vive controllers would be easier to use than the mouse. I just grab the mouse when I neet to click somewhere in the cockpit, using the vive controllers to aim at somewhere and click seems counter intuitive and harder to do to me...

Edited by harf4ng

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

I think it's at default, I hadn't experimented with it. What is the performance cost? Any suggestion for what setting offers the best fidelity/performance compromise?

I will experiment with it in the next few days and report back.

Performance cost is much less than MSAA - I am running 8x AF along with MSAA and for me it really helps with the shimmering.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@harf4ng X-Plane has fantastic VR controller support. They really put in the effort, for those of us with fancy flight sim gear it's not something we are likely to use, but for those who were previously flying with an X-box controller or god forbid mouse and keyboard it's really fantastic!

@dburne I will try that out ASAP, I might be able to do it tonight for a few minutes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I read this whole thread, very fast so I might have missed something.

Q: Is there a way to set a DEFAULT IPD outside of the sim?

Mine defaults to 63.5 but 65.5 looks/feels better in the cockpit. Except when the IPD box is checked with either the default value, or my new own, other GUI windows seem a little weird. Which is fine. I would like to see what things feel like when the IPD box is unchecked, but with 65.5 is set in the IPD window. Does any of that make sense?

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

I read this whole thread, very fast so I might have missed something.

Q: Is there a way to set a DEFAULT IPD outside of the sim?

Mine defaults to 63.5 but 65.5 looks/feels better in the cockpit. Except when the IPD box is checked with either the default value, or my new own, other GUI windows seem a little weird. Which is fine. I would like to see what things feel like when the IPD box is unchecked, but with 65.5 is set in the IPD window. Does any of that make sense?

IPD in the game corresponds to world scale. It has nothing to do with matching the spacing of your eyes.

If you feel that things are too small, then lower the game IPD, and vice-versa.

Then leave it there even if you change your rift’s IPD.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

IPD in the game corresponds to world scale. It has nothing to do with matching the spacing of your eyes.

If you feel that things are too small, then lower the game IPD, and vice-versa.

Then leave it there even if you change your rift’s IPD.

I saw other people saying similar things and thought it was strange, doesn't this mean that ED just flat out used the wrong term?

IPD mean "Inter Pupillary Distance", literally the distance center to center between the pupils of your eyes.

What you are all saying is that the DCS IPD setting is acting like stereo separation. We should probably petition ED to fix this, unless I'm somehow incorrect here which is always a possibility.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I saw other people saying similar things and thought it was strange, doesn't this mean that ED just flat out used the wrong term?

IPD mean "Inter Pupillary Distance", literally the distance center to center between the pupils of your eyes.

What you are all saying is that the DCS IPD setting is acting like stereo separation. We should probably petition ED to fix this, unless I'm somehow incorrect here which is always a possibility.

It's been discussed, debated and argued ad nauseam already...it's not likely to change, from what I've seen.

It is what is generally referred to as "World Scale".

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

It's been discussed, debated and argued ad nauseam already...it's not likely to change, from what I've seen.

It is what is generally referred to as "World Scale".

World scale is fine, but IPD is flat out incorrect..... /sigh but I will drop it since you say the topic has already been beat to death. :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The IPD reference in the DCS VR settings can certainly be confusing for new folks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Seriously, who cares what it’s called? IPD; World Scale; the box with the numbers that changes how big or small the world looks. Twenty-One pages of chasing terminology.

Seriously, who cares what it’s called? Someone please close this thread.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

All I care is that it doesn't work on steamVR. As the hand controllers doesn't work either...

Please fix.. this is getting redicules.. it's almost 5 months since 2.5 and still nothing for the Vive users...

I for one would not want to use VR controllers. Virtually holding a stick doesn’t seem like I’d get the feedback that I’d need for aiming, but that’s just me. Since the Vive already has IPD built in I don’t use the one in DCS, although the Vive one is not as accurate as the one in DCS World.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

Speaking from experience, the hand controller implementation is nothing to wait around for. It’s awkward AF and pretty much pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

New VR Settings for 2.5

*edit* Posted in wrong thread, oops. Deleted.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Speaking from experience, the hand controller implementation is nothing to wait around for. It’s awkward AF and pretty much pointless.

I think hand controller implementation would be the ground work for the future when hand tracking is integrated into the vr APIs

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I think hand controller implementation would be the ground work for the future when hand tracking is integrated into the vr APIs

Spacial hand tracking would, letting go of a physical HOTAS to grab controllers would not. At least for me. There’s no implementation of that that would ever makes sense for me.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Maybe use a camera with special gloves or something to rack your hands

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Performance cost is much less than MSAA - I am running 8x AF along with MSAA and for me it really helps with the shimmering.

@dburne Tried it, AF improved things a little further but it's still pretty bad...

@those who think the hand controllers thing is pointless, try the free demo of X-Plane with your VR controllers. You wouldn't want to give up your HOTAS, but for everything else in the cockpit their implementation is fantastic. They really put in the effort and got great results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what IPD had to do with anything, since the Rift has the slider on the bottom of it to move the lenses back and forth. But, I was bored one day and got out the digital caliper. I measured my IPD at 70mm, and set the in-game IPD to match. I'm glad that I tried it. The A-10 cockpit always seemed a little "roomy" compared to what I remember, but now it feels about right. It definitely affected scale, which IPD doesn't in the real world, but I think since your eyes are getting two completely separate images in the headset, it might. Don't know though. Its hard to wrap your brain around something like that when we don't have two separate images going to our eyes in the real world. I can't speak for those with IPDs different from mine, but at 70mm, everything seems to be the right size, so maybe its the correct term for VR. One other thing it did, which it also does in the real world, is that it made a HUGE difference in depth perception, which gets better the further apart the pupils are. I thought I had 3D in VR before, but the difference is like night and day. Like others in this thread, I also got a noticeable improvement in the clarity of everything in the cockpit by having my IPD set correctly.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

Hey ED-Team,

pls add a color gain/brightness/offset slider to the VR-section or have a look in your render-engine.

That we VR users can get rid of these pushed RGB-Values to 4, which causes night missions has to be flown with this green/red/grey haze everywhere where it is dark. Pls allow RGB Values of 0. Then VR night flying will be fun.

Explained in this post.

Thank u very much.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you guys using to estimate scale? I've tried a few things like standing next to an ejected pilot, Looking at the controls in the A10C (since I have a TM Warthog), and aircraft with copilots like the Huey or Gazelle (since you can tell if a human model appears 'out of proportion')

I used the "force IPD" setting and my IPD in game settled to around 62-60. This appeared to be the most normal for proportions, but it is hard to tell.

Forcing the IPD seems much better than default settings as far as the game scale is concerned. There are still some cockpits that appear small to me, like the Mig21. The switches, cockpit levers, controls, everything looks very small in game, but in pictures they look to be decently large.

For example:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Aoc8sw9fk6g/U3mIGwintII/AAAAAAAA5OQ/n6pB5IvlAoU/s1600/MiG-21PFM_gallery_05.jpg

What sort of 'landmarks' are you guys using to find the 'sweet spot' for IPD/game scale?

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

If i force ipd at any value, the gui gets all wonky and moves around when i move my head. Is anyone else gettin this?

SteamVR headset? Then yes ..

Seems like force IPD only works with Oculus (along with the hand controllers)

I can confirm that IPD works with the Vive. I adjusted mine in game and it did exactly as described. I'm also using skatzeilla's program to launch it into DCS vr. I'm not sure if that is helping or not.

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!