Gunsight disappears at close range

Reflected

I noticed a strange thing: when I chase a MIG, I got radar lock, but as soon as I get in close the pipper disappears. Why is that? What do you recommend for close quarters firing?

Don't. If the gunsight disappeared, you were inside firing parameters. Back off and when the pipper reappears, hold the electronic cage button, manouver the pipper onto target and release.

• 3 weeks later...

It is intended to be that large a distance. That is how it worked.

Also, consider this, you are sitting on a giant blow torch that is the only thing keeping you airborne and it depends on sucking in great quantities of air through the front end to keep running, oh and it is made of thousands of very delicate parts. Every .50 cal round you put into your adversary create or has the potential to create a cloud of debris large enough to cause your engine to flame out.

If engine damage and fires were modeled more realistically due to F.O.D. you would keep your distance. Combat reports from Mig Alley are not uncommon that end with a long glide home because the pilot was too close.

It never disappeared for me but I tend to shoot with a mechanically caged gunsight at close ranges because the lead calculation of the A-4 gunsight only works well in constant turns (which may not be the case in such a scenario) + the floating pipper is hindering me in such situations (you really dont need it) + if the bandit gets out of radar track shortly the sight is also problematic.

But dont count much on that because I'm really no expert.

And of course AH Rob is right with the debris thing.

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip