Gazelle Multi-Crew via LAN?

TripRodriguez

Hey guys, quick question and it's not what some of you may be thinking. What I'm after is absolutely minimal ping/latency when both PC's are side by side.

I've got a 6DOF motion sim and now that I found out about Gazelle Multi-Crew I'm hoping to squeeze two seats on the sim so my friend and I can fly side by side just like the real thing!

The one problem I see is that the latency from my (pilot) computer which is running the motion sim he is sitting on), out to my ISP, back to the house to his (gunner) computer might cause enough lag in the motion from his perspective to cause motion sickness.

If we can multi-crew with a direct connection via my LAN the latency should be no problem.

So is this possible? I'm considering buying two copies of the Gazelle module today for initial testing but $100 is a big chunk of change so I'm a little concerned about this.

Thanks guys!

Trip

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

You can perfectly have two computers in a LAN flying the DCS gazelle in multicrew. But I am not sure you can be logged twice on the same ED account. So you might need two ED accounts with one Gazelle licence on each (to be confirmed). And also, your LAN needs to be connected to the internet since the licences are periodically checked by the game.

Just starting to try to make it work right now if anyone can give me step by step @Los perhaps? I'll report back if I figure it out, first attempt was no go.

We have two computers, each with it's own DCS account and Gazelle registration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please bear with me, I've never hosted a multiplayer match before.

So I went to multiplayer, hit new server. Copied the IP/Port and sent to his computer and set a password.

Tried with "public" turned off, and tried to connect to server from his computer by IP but get "connection failed, can't connect"

Set to public (but with password) and did the same with same result. Also looked in the server list and it's not there.

Help!

I picked one of the campaign missions, on my computer screen for the server it lists pilot1 and pilot2 as available slots.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently Starways is triggering it, but I copied over my directory without JSGME so not sure I can easily remove it (and a shame to do so anyway). Going to see about copying my JSGME over but different install drive might be a problem anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just starting to try to make it work right now if anyone can give me step by step @Los perhaps? I'll report back if I figure it out, first attempt was no go.

We have two computers, each with it's own DCS account and Gazelle registration.

TripRodriguez, the wife and I play over LAN all of the time. Here is how we set it up:

• Using DCS 1.5.5 (release)

1) On host PC, Start DCS and choose the Multiplayer tab

2) Choose New Server at the bottom

3) Enter Server Name & Server Description

- I uncheck Public Server, leave the Password field blank, lower the Player Limit to 2, and unselect Integrity Check

4) Add mission to Mission List

5) Hit Start and let the mission load

Host PC (no port forwarding, open firewall, or anything like that) [WAN IP masked]:

2ldvg1s.jpg

6) On client PC, start DCS and choose Multiplayer tab

7) Choose Connect By IP at the top

8 ) Enter LAN IP

- I don't enter port nor Password

9) Hit the arrow to connect

Client PC (again, nothing special done to firewall/AV, just hooked to same router):

14wdcpg.jpg

SA342 Notes:

We wait for the server to completely load, the first player chooses the coalition and enters the helicopter (and unpauses the server in our case), and starts the helo all the way up before the second player joins. It has been our experience that there are sync issues if we don't follow this procedure (tail falls off during startup, weapons missing, players see different things, and so forth). Once the helo is spun up completely, my wife joins in and selects the second seat. There will be a permission box that pops up for player one to confirm the join of a second player to the helo. Select their name, hit OK, and enjoy SA342 multiplayer!

Hit me up if you have any questions. We do this all of the time without any special/fancy network setup or equipment/software. The only thing we have to do is have our own licenses (two copies of the game) and ED accounts.

@Sryan Thanks my friend, but no dice. The integrity check box stubbornly refused to respond to clicks =(

Doing "repair DCS" on his machine ATM, hopefully that fixes it.

You can always edit the [DRIVE]:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\serverSettings.lua file manually if the UI is being stubborn.

Set cfg.require_pure_clients = false

Got it working! Latency seems fine as it should be since it's a true LAN situation which is FANTASTIC! Super excited for some side by side motion sim action! Look forward to some youtube videos and maybe some livestreams with this setup in the next few months.

The synchronization issues mentioned in the multi crew manual were an issue but I should be able to avoid those mostly by following instructions and possibly staying away from cold start missions.

Thanks guys!

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Chump Ah, I looked for that .lua in the game install directory instead of the saved games directory, thanks for giving the bread crumbs!

For our test earlier tonight it worked after I did repair on his machine, but look forward to getting upgraded scenery back in for my co-pilot.

Also thanks a lot for the procedure, I was still experimenting and had considered trying full startup prior to co-pilot join next so good to know that seems to do the trick!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry was afk for a few.

Multi crew works well over the Internet as well not just lan.

Be advised that you can get some hinkiness in multi crew that porks autohover, other times it works fine.

We have had good success even with one gazelle in multi crew while other flyers are in ka50s.

It helps to have the observer coordinating the tactical situation. Good stuff.

Los

@Chump , seeing as my rig is now all taken apart for the multi-crew build might you guys do a test for me?

Would you see if after going through your normal routine and both players are in the cockpit, if you fully shut down the Gazelle and then do startup again does it work or break things? I'd like to know myself and this also might help the devs get this fixed.

No worries if you don't have time for this test.

Trip

TripRodriguez, the wife and I play over LAN all of the time. Here is how we set it up:

• Using DCS 1.5.5 (release)

1) On host PC, Start DCS and choose the Multiplayer tab

2) Choose New Server at the bottom

3) Enter Server Name & Server Description

- I uncheck Public Server, leave the Password field blank, lower the Player Limit to 2, and unselect Integrity Check

4) Add mission to Mission List

5) Hit Start and let the mission load

Host PC (no port forwarding, open firewall, or anything like that) [WAN IP masked]:

2ldvg1s.jpg

6) On client PC, start DCS and choose Multiplayer tab

7) Choose Connect By IP at the top

8 ) Enter LAN IP

- I don't enter port nor Password

9) Hit the arrow to connect

Client PC (again, nothing special done to firewall/AV, just hooked to same router):

14wdcpg.jpg

SA342 Notes:

We wait for the server to completely load, the first player chooses the coalition and enters the helicopter (and unpauses the server in our case), and starts the helo all the way up before the second player joins. It has been our experience that there are sync issues if we don't follow this procedure (tail falls off during startup, weapons missing, players see different things, and so forth). Once the helo is spun up completely, my wife joins in and selects the second seat. There will be a permission box that pops up for player one to confirm the join of a second player to the helo. Select their name, hit OK, and enjoy SA342 multiplayer!

Hit me up if you have any questions. We do this all of the time without any special/fancy network setup or equipment/software. The only thing we have to do is have our own licenses (two copies of the game) and ED accounts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Trip, I got a chance to test this today. We found out that if we fully start the helo before second player joins (as normal procedure), fly around and shoot enemies, then land and shut down, I am able to restart the helo and continue to have full functionality. The issue seems to be during the first startup and second player joining.

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick question: When I create a server for doing the multi-crew via LAN the server starts off paused and only the computer that is hosting seems to be able to un-pause it.

This creates a bit of a problem for me for reasons I won't go into, the short version is I need it either to start off not paused or be able to un-pause with the non-host PC/account.

I'm also thinking about using a third computer as a dedicated host, but it would be a DCS account with no add-on modules so not sure how this would figure into that.

Any help appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another quick question: When I create a server for doing the multi-crew via LAN the server starts off paused and only the computer that is hosting seems to be able to un-pause it.

The options you are looking for are found in MULTIPLAYER -> NEW SERVER -> Advanced ->

• Resume on manual [checkbox] - Server mission starts paused (default)
  • Resume on Load [checkbox] - Server mission starts after loading
  • Resume with Clients [checkbox] - Server mission starts if a client joins

I'm also thinking about using a third computer as a dedicated host, but it would be a DCS account with no add-on modules so not sure how this would figure into that.

AFAIK a dedicated host/pc does not need to own any modules, but would login using a third account i.e. only the free modules (Su-25T/TF-51D) available to fly as that user.

Note: There can be editor limitations (perhaps setting loadouts, radio, special options ?) when creating a mission if the authoring PC does not own/install the relevant module but once a mission is created, it can be freely copied to and run on the host.

A workaround is to use "dcs_updater.exe install [module]" You'll get a window(s) asking for the serial(s) on startup (just press exit), but the un-owned module(s) appear in mission editor if they were previously missing.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

One other thing, in the multiplayer connect screen there is along the top a red or green shield. If it's red you don't have a pure client. Click on the red shield and it will tell you exactly what you have in your install (typically a mod) that needs to be removed or deactivated.

Los

Thanks guys, sounds good! I'm going to give it a try hopefully tomorrow and see how it impacts my performance.

As I fly in VR I need to get my frame rates as high as possible and I also have the motion sim software and SimShaker running that is a challenge. I think adding hosting a server to the list might have contributed to my low frame rate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK a dedicated host/pc does not need to own any modules, but would login using a third account i.e. only the free modules (Su-25T/TF-51D) available to fly as that user.

You are correct. Our dedicated server uses a default account with no modules.

I haven't had a chance to test yet but I'm wondering if having a dedicated server on the LAN will add additional latency between the two computers actually playing DCS.

This might be an issue as the whole idea here is to have minimum latency between the gunner who is riding on the motion sim which is being run by the pilot machine! Latency in the motion is a little noticeable with the pilot machine hosting but acceptable IMO. If using a third computer to host adds any additional latency though it probably won't be ok.

I'm going to go through the post on getting good frame rate in VR and see what I can do to improve frame rate on the main (pilot) gaming machine tonight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X