Lynx Cockpit Utility Brick "Button box"

Glad to hear. Good work with the VAT.

Even better since Switzerland doesnt belongs to the EU :P.

Looking forward.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Lynx. Hope you guys make a boat load of money. BTW, those switches look exactly like the ones I ordered! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a little Update.

We have been quite busy lately, but we now have a website up and running with a webshop.

And as you can see in the picture below, i have started wiring the cub.

cub_wire.jpg

Doing this have revealed some things that needs to be changed, due to lack of height.

There is really not much room in the unit, due to the size of the arduino.

So, still some things to do before i can declare this for finished, but we are getting there :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

...very nice...:-)

• Like 3

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

I´d be very interested in a generic box which I can customize with different covers for different DCS modules.

And a box for western standard UHF VHF TACAN ILS (rotary encoders combined push switches) radio operation would be GREAT!

Edited by I./ZG15_FALKE
  • Like 1

I´d be very interested in a generic box which I can customize with different covers for different DCS modules.

And a box for western standard UHF VHF TACAN ILS (rotary encoders combined push switches) radio operation would be GREAT!

Good point regarding encoders.

BTW: - if there is possibility to add additional multy-channel connector (like LPT port) between main box and upper-panel - this will allow people to make own panels with different layouts, and easily connect panel to box.

Edited by Necroscope
  • Like 1

Всех убью, один останусь!

Right now the CUB 1, will have the layout of toggle swithces alone, as you see in the pictures.

Later on the CUB 2 will have Potentiometers, and toggle switches, and i dont think you can set potmeter to work with the radio panel, however im not sure.

But we will think about the rotary encoders, and see if it is possible, and get back to you :).

Good point regarding encoders.

BTW: - if there is possibility to add additional multy-channel connector (like LPT port) between main box and upper-panel - this will allow people to make own panels with different layouts, and easily connect panel to box.

We do not plan on adding other than a 3 Meter USB Cable for this. However, you can attach as many CUB's as you want to your system, as they work as individual "joysticks".

As far as people want to make their own panels, thats allready planned, as we intend to make clear acrylic panels, where people can print their own panels from our PDF File, that we will release.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

We do not plan on adding other than a 3 Meter USB Cable for this. However, you can attach as many CUB's as you want to your system, as they work as individual "joysticks".

As far as people want to make their own panels, thats allready planned, as we intend to make clear acrylic panels, where people can print their own panels from our PDF File, that we will release.

Thanx for reply.

I mean make upper panel with switches - detachable with possibility to attach own panel using generic port, without chiming with box wiring.

I.E. main box body will stay intact, but user will be able to change panels with different layouts.

Thanx for reply.

I mean make upper panel with switches - detachable with possibility to attach own panel using generic port, without chiming with box wiring.

I.E. main box body will stay intact, but user will be able to change panels with different layouts.

Oh i misunderstood :)

Well what you explained there is exactly how it is designet now...

When you buy a CUB box, its looks like this:

cub_prototype_8.jpg

Then you can buy pre designed Panels to put on top of if like this:

cub_prototype_11.jpg

I can also make the Panels engravings exactly like you want it. This way you can buy fx panels to the A-10C, Flaming Cliffs, and the MIG, and when you are switching plane, you switch the panels.... :)

So you will never have to switch any wires or anything, only the top panels :)

Unless off course you choose the DIY, and you have to assemble it yourself, one time, and then its plug and play :)

• Like 1

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

@LynxDK

Another questions

1. Is it possible to use encoders with basic DIY box?

As far as I remember from my Mjoy16 - there is the need in some software implementation in microcode for proper translation of encoders' signal to "button" pulses.

2. Is there possibility to extend announced 20 buttons to some bigger amount in one box? Mjoy16 has 64 buttons, 16 toggle switches, 4 encoders and 8 axis, back in 2008.

I'm asking because it seems CUB is quite awesome platform for further upgrades.

@LynxDK

Another questions

1. Is it possible to use encoders with basic DIY box?

As far as I remember from my Mjoy16 - there is the need in some software implementation in microcode for proper translation of encoders' signal to "button" pulses.

2. Is there possibility to extend announced 20 buttons to some bigger amount in one box? Mjoy16 has 64 buttons, 16 toggle switches, 4 encoders and 8 axis, back in 2008.

I'm asking because it seems CUB is quite awesome platform for further upgrades.

Well as it is now, the DIY box is like a package with everything, The CUB Frame, The Backplate, the switches, the arduino, the wiring and the Backlight. And then you just have to assemble it yourself. Thats where the DIY is, that you have to wire the unit yourself, and load the code into the arduino (which will be downloadable from our web, for free, wheter your buy the Cub or not :)

But it will be possible to buy the Cub Frame and the Panels alone, however, there is little to no free space in the CUB, because i have kept the same size as the Warthog Throttle from Thrustmaster. and the bottom plate of the frame is made ready for mounting an Arduino Leonardo.

But if you take all this info into consideration, and you are still up for it, then yes, you could mount more switches and buttons etc, if you can fit them :)

The top of the CUB are made for DZUS Standart, so you can mount other panels you made yourself. And the dimensions for those will be available from my end.

This in meant to be a Plug and play Product for those who want that, but also a DIY product, for those who want more :)

So to answer your first question last :P, the CUB 1 as a Plug and Play DIY box, is made only for Switches. For you to use Encoders, you need new arduino code, new backplate (hole size are too big) and other Top Panels. Hope this answered your questions :) If not... Keep hitting me :)

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

If not... Keep hitting me :)

Thank you, so I will if you do not mind. :)))

I got the point regarding internal capacity, thanx.

Am I right if I say - there is possibility and probability in future to download new arduino code with encoders support and equip existing CUB with them?

Thank you, so I will if you do not mind. :)))

I got the point regarding internal capacity, thanx.

Am I right if I say - there is possibility and probability in future to download new arduino code with encoders support and equip existing CUB with them?

Of course we have to make that code first, and i wont promis that we can do that yet, as we havent been looking at that, but if we succeed, then yes, you are correct. :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

I´ve already worked on a mock-up box which uses Leo Bodnar´s little board BU0836X and it works with rotary encoder right away. Its good for TACAN, ILS, VHF ARC and ADF which atm I use for A10C and UH1.

But I really like the CUB as a modular controler piece that is customizable. It really looks good also!

Will take some effort to work out a layout that will enable to use one or two radio operation sets for use of VHF AM/FM ARC/ARN controlling.

Maybe another one for TACAN ILS ADF.

Just give me some time to work through the different layouts and I´ll come up with an idea how to solve that with a CUB.

As for the radio systems which are of interst because they are simulated in models this would be the list:

• A10C AN/ARC-164 (UHF)
  • A10C AN/ARC-184 (VHF AM)
  • A10C AN/ARC-186 (VHF FM)
  • A10C TACAN ILS
  • UH1 AN/ARC-51BX (UHF)
  • UH1 AN/ARC-131 (FM)
  • UH1 AN/ARC-134 (VHF)
  • UH1 AN/ARN-82 (VHF NAV)
  • UH1 AN/ARN-83 (ADF)
  • F86 AN/ARC-27 (UHF)
  • F5E AN/ARC-50
  • F5E AN/ARN-56

Abbreviations used:

• ARC Airborne Radio Communications
  • ARN Airborne Radio Navigation
  • UHF Ultra high frequency (UHF) is the ITU designation for radio frequencies in the range between 300 MHz and 3 GHz, also known as the decimetre band as the wavelengths range from one meter to one decimetre. 
  • VHF Very high frequency (VHF) is the ITU designation for the range of radio frequency from 30 MHz to 300 MHz, with corresponding wavelengths of ten to one meters.
  • AM Amplitude modulation (AM) is a modulation technique used in electronic communication, most commonly for transmitting information via a radio carrier wave. In amplitude modulation, the amplitude (signal strength) of the carrier wave is varied in proportion to the waveform being transmitted.
  • FM In telecommunications and signal processing, frequency modulation (FM) is the encoding of information in a carrier wave by varying the instantaneous frequency of the wave. This contrasts with amplitude modulation, in which the amplitude of the carrier wave varies, while the frequency remains constant.
  • ADF An automatic direction finder (ADF) is a aircraft radio-navigation instrument that automatically and continuously displays the relative bearing from the aircraft to a suitable radio station.

• Like 1

Thank you Falke.

You dont have to work out a layout... but im definately interested in which functions those Rotarys should have.

As we intend to use the Arduino, we have 20 Connections that we can work with, where 6 are analog. A single Encoder uses 2 connections, and that gives us 6 Encoders, and 6 push buttons.

Maybe it would fit the "CUB Mini" That i had in mind, which is rougly Half length of the Normal CUB.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Lynx

I've been following your projects since the beginning and I also would be interested in some CUB panels (just plug 'n play). Would be nice to get some update soon and can't wait to see more of your ideas ;-) I also would be interested in some CUBs with knobs.

Like many others I'm very looking forward to the F/A-18C. Would it be possible to use the CUBs also for the hornet with just changing the Top Panels or are you also planning some CUBs for the hornet?

However it's very nice to have people like you and hegykc here with great hardware ideas and projects.

Regards,

Weasel

Dear Lynx

I've been following your projects since the beginning and I also would be interested in some CUB panels (just plug 'n play). Would be nice to get some update soon and can't wait to see more of your ideas ;-) I also would be interested in some CUBs with knobs.

Like many others I'm very looking forward to the F/A-18C. Would it be possible to use the CUBs also for the hornet with just changing the Top Panels or are you also planning some CUBs for the hornet?

However it's very nice to have people like you and hegykc here with great hardware ideas and projects.

Regards,

Weasel

Hello Weasel.

I havent updated as much as i would like, but have had alot to do lately, manufactoring orders, installing new machinery and of course real life :)

But here is a update for the CUB's:

the CUB 1 is on its last stage, with only small modifications required.

Its small stuff as wiring, internal space for all the hardware, Backlight installation, and USB Connection.

We are trying to get the DIY package as easy to assemble as possible, and we have allmost achieved that with the CUB 1.

Thats because to assemble a CUB 1 with only the toggle and push switches, there is no needing for soldering. Only a pair of pliers for clamping the wires.

However the backlight is another thing, as for those who buy the DIY solution, needs to solder those LED wires to the connector.

Also the following CUB's which have Potentiometers and Rotarys needs to be Soldered. But of course, if you buy the finished Plug and Play Versions, we have allready assembled it for you.

The CUB can be used with everything that you can map a key to, Windows sees the unit as an Arduino Joystick, without the need to install anything.

We can supply the unit with Arduino Code that will hold the switches connected when activated, or let it send a keypress only once when a switch is activated, and then again the same keypress once when deactivated. This way you dont need third part software if you wanted to use it with, lets way War Thunder, as it dont support holding switches.

So yes, you can design your own panel idea for the F/A-18 and simply mount them, and map the keys in the game, and your good to go.

The CUB's will also be delivered with a 3 meter USB Wire, for easy PC connection.

I./ZG15_FALKE and i are working on a radio Design for the CUB's, however they will be a "special" version, since there is so many connections, that we will have to mount 2 arduinos in it. this also means that it requires 2x USB wires for connecting to the PC, simply to keep the cost down.

And i want to let you know, that we arent that far yet to be sure its even going to happen, but we are working on it :)

Other controller board will problaly be supported for self installation in the future, however, we wont install them, but this are meant for the DIY people, who want to buy the CUB for them to make their own unit :)

More upgrades are on the drawing board, however, i wont say too much here, since i cant promis anything, and we want to get the CUB 1 on the market first.

As a little extra service, we wont charge more for custom designet panel layouts for the first months after the CUB release, so if you have an idea, dont hesitate to make a layout and send it to us. The switch layout of the CUB 1 Can be found earlier in This threat.

Hope this answered some of your questions, if not, feel free to ask..

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Really great panels Lynx. Im following this with great interest, and have an idea for something more generic, so its not plane/module specific. So what Im thinking is a 'brick' as you are showing here, but with a varied assortment of button types, rotaries and even potentiometer type - be it for flood lights, trimming, what ever.

What I personally would be looking for, would be weapon management, radar operations, basically what I would use frequently during flight/operations. Canopy, engine (start up) and anything you really only operate once per flight, I would leave for mouse/cockpit flicking.

And then not label it (well maybe a default), but make a template for button placement, that could be printed on some photopaper type, so people can make their own labels and panel surface design (Russian type, US type, French type, German WWII type and so on and so forth). So print, cut and stick on top, and then have a clear plexi plate thats mounted on top. That would make it really universal across planes/modules, and people could tailor it for their modules, by just printing a new 'cover'.

Anyway, just an idea for something more generic and 'customizable'.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Really great panels Lynx. Im following this with great interest, and have an idea for something more generic, so its not plane/module specific. So what Im thinking is a 'brick' as you are showing here, but with a varied assortment of button types, rotaries and even potentiometer type - be it for flood lights, trimming, what ever.

What I personally would be looking for, would be weapon management, radar operations, basically what I would use frequently during flight/operations. Canopy, engine (start up) and anything you really only operate once per flight, I would leave for mouse/cockpit flicking.

And then not label it (well maybe a default), but make a template for button placement, that could be printed on some photopaper type, so people can make their own labels and panel surface design (Russian type, US type, French type, German WWII type and so on and so forth). So print, cut and stick on top, and then have a clear plexi plate thats mounted on top. That would make it really universal across planes/modules, and people could tailor it for their modules, by just printing a new 'cover'.

Anyway, just an idea for something more generic and 'customizable'.

Hey Knock-Knock.

What you have just asked for is exactly what is going to happen.

As earlier mentioned you can choose clear panels, and i will supply a template where you can edit the text, and print it, cut it out and place underneath the clear panel, so you dont have to buy a engraved panel for each and everything you want to fly... But only for those you play alot.

And you ask for more sitches, rotarys and pot meters, that is going to happen on different Versions.

Here is the Future Plan for CUB Versions... but please dont hang me up on this list... this is what im planning on doing, but its not for sure that its dueable... so if things change... dont get mad :)

CUB 1:

The unit you have seen so far, with Toggle Switches and Push Buttons.

this unit is close to getting released, we are currently testing it.

CUB 2:

This version will have Toggle Switches, Push Buttons and Potentiometers.

this version is still on the drawing board.

CUB 3:

This versions will have Push Buttons, Rotary Encoders and Potentiometers.

This version is a more expensive Special Version, due to all the connections that rotary encoders demand. This version will primarily be the one we try and make a FC Radio Unit from. but this version is still on the drawing board.

CUB 4:

This one is still an idea, but i might make this version with switches, and a small 4 way "joystick" for easier targeting in-game.

CUB Mini Series:

This is still on the idea plan, but this will be a small unit with a few switches, being toggle or push buttons.

CUB Panels:

There will be pre Designed panels, Clear panels and Custom designed panels for all our units.

And if there is interest, MIG 21/29 Styled Panels can be provided. With Switch Guards too.

CUB Extra:

As extra you will be able to buy different angles etc so you can tilt you CUB or screw them together.

Im also playing with the thought of making a CUB Power Unit, to connect more CUB units backlight to, so you will be able to control the backlight from that one. This will problaly be installed in a Future CUB Mini.

This is the idea so far, as allways, if you have questions feel free to ask.

Also, im open for ideas, so dont hold back, afterall, its you guys im making these for :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram