Leap Motion in DCS? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 04:18 AM   #11
ben1101

Reputation power: 9
ben1101 is a jewel in the roughben1101 is a jewel in the roughben1101 is a jewel in the roughben1101 is a jewel in the roughben1101 is a jewel in the roughben1101 is a jewel in the rough

Any updates?

Curious myself
Old 03-15-2017, 01:32 AM   #12
VampireOne

Reputation power: 0
VampireOne is on a distinguished road

Will let you know.. mine is in the mail.
VampireOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
Bizoro

Bizoro is on a distinguished road

News?
Bizoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 45
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all

anybd share some feedback. Seriously considering it
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #15
Roblex

Reputation power: 2
Roblex is on a distinguished road

I don't think it very practical. What we need is trackable gloves so we can press buttons with both hands as well as operating throttle and joystick. Several companies are developing them and with some you can technically do away with a physical joystick entirely!
Roblex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
BigDuke6ixx

BigDuke6ixx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
I don't think it very practical. What we need is trackable gloves so we can press buttons with both hands as well as operating throttle and joystick. Several companies are developing them and with some you can technically do away with a physical joystick entirely!
Why would you do that?
BigDuke6ixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #17
Montes

Montes is an unknown quantity at this point

News???
Montes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #18
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 30
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

No, but the Oculus touch controllers are starting to be supported. It is pretty nice actually, eventough you can't flip switches yet.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Roblex

Roblex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6ixx View Post
Why would you do that?
Well I am not sure you would *want* to do that but if the glove is following your hand position and orientation and finger positions then technically there is no need for there to actually be a physical object in your hand. I have seen demos of people flying using just two loosely clenched fists for throttle & stick and finger movements to fire guns, drop flares etc. plus also reach up to flip overhead switches. Even using physical stick & throttle, the ability to reach over to click a switch or turn a dial excites me :-)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #20
Fri13

Reputation power: 8
Fri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the roughFri13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
Well I am not sure you would *want* to do that but if the glove is following your hand position and orientation and finger positions then technically there is no need for there to actually be a physical object in your hand. I have seen demos of people flying using just two loosely clenched fists for throttle & stick and finger movements to fire guns, drop flares etc. plus also reach up to flip overhead switches. Even using physical stick & throttle, the ability to reach over to click a switch or turn a dial excites me :-)
Yes we can do the virtual HOTAS, but is very user unfriendly and ergonomic catastrophe.

It goes exactly to the same category like the idea that cars should have a joystick instead a steering wheel.

Sounds nice etc, but quickly everyone using those would notice that slight movement in stick would cause more accidents than anything else. And then comes the thing that holding a stick is tiring. Why aircrafts has a trim and hand rests.

Like think about flying Mig-29A without a trim....

But the best part would be.... We could get any stick to be our "virtual joystick" with the motion detection for hands. We just don't get the buttons and even virtual buttons are not same thing at all as tactile physical buttons we can feel.

But the market is not in the simulators but in FPS games like Battlefield where in multiplayer you might jump in a aircraft for 1-5 minutes and all you need to do is to trigger firing. Now do that without mouse and keyboard and joystick, amazing!

But with the Leap Motion, I want to mount it front of the throttle and then just slightly move hand forward and lift finger as mouse cursor and get the mouse cursor on screen move at center. So I would roughly get the wanted button/switch/dial in center of the view with TrackIR, and then use finger to move cursor 1/3 of the screen area at the center to do the pointing and use a physical button in stick to emulate mouse button press. So finger would be just for aiming accurately, TrackIR to get mouse to ballpark and physical button as click.

That is what I want.

Last edited by Fri13; 06-20-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote