90 Calendar Days 207 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #671
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
As I said: This is pretty common in modern games and other software products, so if this would be illegal ther would be a lot of other games and software banned that are widespread.
Personally, I don't like it either, but I disliked the previous system with the limited activations even less. So it's an improvement for me.
You would have to go to court and File a lawsuite, first.
The thing is, legally you may argue that you are not required to upgrade to the current version.
And for the other games argument, most of these require an online connection anyway, as they are serverbased (MMP).

I never had a problem with requiring a verification for MP.

What I find disturbing is the dependency to have a working Internet and a connection to the ED server, every time I simply want to work on a mission in the ME, or when I just want to test something, or I want to have a quick relaxed offline flight.

They should really think about adjustments for single player offline, to cover the customers not so lucky with their connection...

Edit: StarForce wasn't actually "limited activations" in a way. You could even after blowing all 10 initial activations, activate every month. For me this was always a more theoretical issue, as even starting with Black Shark and DCS: A-10C Warthog I never used up my activations for any module in the last decades.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller

Last edited by shagrat; 01-26-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #672
frumpy

@QuiGon

I don't care if this is pretty common or not. This is not the standard to measure things. To put it short, I don't like my software or my computer to be a testbed. I am here for flightsimming, not for risking getting my data exposed by some new hidden function in an update. I don't want my computer to be a big data machine, I don't need a "smart" flightsim. I mean just look at the ongoing Kaspersky discussion.

The thing is - in Germany it is legal to sell used software licenses. If I don't use the software any more, I can sell the key. Every software. Plane addons too. That's the law. But Eagle Dynamics does not support this, they simply blacklist the key and thats it.

So I am forced to get exposed to things I reject - or drop my licences which cost me quite some money.

I wrote support about this. I am hoping to find some solution for this.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #673
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
@QuiGon

I don't care if this is pretty common or not. This is not the standard to measure things. To put it short, I don't like my software or my computer to be a testbed. I am here for flightsimming, not for risking getting my data exposed by some new hidden function in an update. I don't want my computer to be a big data machine, I don't need a "smart" flightsim. I mean just look at the ongoing Kaspersky discussion.

The thing is - in Germany it is legal to sell used software licenses. If I don't use the software any more, I can sell the key. Every software. Plane addons too. That's the law. But Eagle Dynamics does not support this, they simply blacklist the key and thats it.

So I am forced to get exposed to things I reject - or drop my licences which cost me quite some money.

I wrote support about this. I am hoping to find some solution for this.
Alright, please let us know what the result of this is

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Edit: StarForce wasn't actually "limited activations" in a way. You could even after blowing all 10 initial activations, activate every month. For me this was always a more theoretical issue, as even starting with Black Shark and DCS: A-10C Warthog I never used up my activations for any module in the last decades.
Yeah, same for me, but now I don't have to worry about it at all. And I don't have to have StarForce stuff on my PC anymore.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-26-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #674
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Alright, please let us know what the result of this is

Yeah, same for me, but now I don't have to worry about it at all. And I don't have to have StarForce stuff on my PC anymore.
StarForce pro-active as implemented in DCS had no "Stuff" installed on your PC, it checks a Registry-key against a Hash of the hardware IDs that are already available through BIOS and listed/scanned by Windows... Which uses the same mechanism to verify hardware changes.

People keep confusing the late 90ies, early 2000s StarForce (Root-Kit) with StarForce pro-active.

With the new system you are tied into the availability of an ED server. Problems with the Internet-Provider? No flying. Problems with the Server? No flying. Problems with your account credentials in EDs database? No flying. On vacation and want to edit some Missions on the Notebook, but no Internet? No chance...

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #675
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
StarForce pro-active as implemented in DCS had no "Stuff" installed on your PC, it checks a Registry-key against a Hash of the hardware IDs that are already available through BIOS and listed/scanned by Windows... Which uses the same mechanism to verify hardware changes.

People keep confusing the late 90ies, early 2000s StarForce (Root-Kit) with StarForce pro-active.

With the new system you are tied into the availability of an ED server. Problems with the Internet-Provider? No flying. Problems with the Server? No flying. Problems with your account credentials in EDs database? No flying. On vacation and want to edit some Missions on the Notebook, but no Internet? No chance...
You can still use DCS for 3 days without internet. Servers beeing down for that long is very uncommon. When I'm on vacation I have other things to do than playing DCS. And even if so, most hotels provide WLAN anyways.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #676
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
You can still use DCS for 3 days without internet. Servers beeing down for that long is very uncommon. When I'm on vacation I have other things to do than playing DCS. And even if so, most hotels provide WLAN anyways.
Depends on your preferences and the weather.
And servers will likely be down forever after ED as a company seize to exist.

I can even today install DID EF 2000, With some effort and enjoy it, if I want to...

If at whatever point in time the market changes for combat flight Sims, like we have seen in the past. Everything is likely gone... and, sorry, but I doubt the usual "if that happens, XYZ will provide a patch to play without the DRM server".

I am not saying the new DRM system is bad per se, but it needs some fine tuning and hopefully a better solution for longer periods of offline play.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #677
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Quote:
Depends on your preferences and the weather.
And servers will likely be down forever after ED as a company seize to exist.
and they could not, this is just hearsay

ED have said they are looking into it, when they have made a final decision they will let us know.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #678
Dee-Jay

Quote:
Well, quite a lot of other games and software even require you to get online EVERY time you want to use it, not just every few days.
This is not what I am calling a "good reason".

As long as it will be the case, I will stay away from new module. That is for sure. And I do not care if it is the same for "many other games" ... I do not play "many other games".

Want to see an evolution? ... Simple: As it has been said, nobody force "customers" to update or buy anything.

It is a bit sad because I was going to start again actively helicopter simulation ... the UH-1 is a nice module. I won't update to 2.5 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
ED have said they are looking into it, when they have made a final decision they will let us know.
Yep. Lets just wait then and refrain the "purchase" desire.
ASUSTeK ROG MAXIMUS X HERO / Intel Core i5-8600K (4.6 GHz) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / 16GB DDR4 Ballistix Elite, 3200 MHz / Windows 10 Home 64-bit / HOTAS Cougar FSSB R1 (Warthog grip) / SIMPED / MFD Cougar / ViperGear ICP / Track IR 5

Last edited by Dee-Jay; 01-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #679
Gnome

Location: Not sure, I might be here, but I'm sure I'm not there

TL- DR .... If it has to change, please find a fair way of allowing decent offline play.

Hi all
New to forums but been flying in DCS for a long time ... Offline.
I understand time and tech change, I have no control over what ED want to do with their product.
But I hope they give consideration to those who like to fly offline.
Currently I work during the week, I do not fly except maybe a quick mission (offline.)
Weekends I have time to fly, I have log in to fly the AV8.
Fine ok it's new and I don't fly it often.

If, from 2.5, this will apply to all the modules I brought in the past that's a big deal to me
(and others here. I never had a problem with starforce, but I wasn't changing my hardware often.)

Is it not possible to tie the "time" to the DCS process ?
2 -5 Days in time in the sim between activations sounds reasonable to me.
If going on calendar days, as long as possible then between forced logins.
I'm sure that eventually I wont have access to the internet at all, but I'll still have the hardware, and the software installed and paid for.
I'd like to be able to still fly.

I had been looking forward to 2.5... Having all maps in one place, campaigns like Maple flags BFT missions and the a10c redflag campaign. Fa 18, Corsair and the F4... One day maybe the EE Lightning. Now ... I don't know. I find that sad.

I have made considerable investment in the hardware, specifically with DCS 2.5 in mind.
I am planning on entering MP as friends of mine have started flying in DCS, so for the time being I may be online in more often, but not guaranteed.

Sorry for the long first post
I hope that ED is able to understand and come up with something workable for everybody (The Jeremy Clarkson\Captain Slows of the DCS World.)

Last edited by Gnome; 01-28-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo in "EE lighting".. maybe more, checking now ..
Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #680
SGT Coyle

Why am I being forced to get online to play product I already bought.
Updates require being online. OK
Playing on servers require being online. OK
Being put on clock to continue using a product I already payed for, Not OK.
I bought the BS2 from Steam in the beginning and shortly after that the A10C. I agreed to terms that were reasonable to industry standards, as bizarre as the were, but I never agreed to a clock.

I should be able to enjoy my purchase offline as long as I like. When or if I get online validating my product licence against my account would be reasonable, but shutting down my game for lack of internet is over reaching.

Try putting a "No time limit" choice in your poll.

This smacks of "Bait and switch".

Whats next? Subscription!