60 Calendar Days 11 2.52%
90 Calendar Days 207 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #621
Zabuza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
I don't consider concern from customers about being restricted to play the titles they payed for with a new DRM as "meaningless".
It's just that the current DRM system (Starforce) also restricts customers from their bought modules. It's even forever and not only temporarily.

I mean it's just another group of people that is affected by the new DRM mechanic (the ones without internet) whereas the old system affects people that frequently change their hardware or for whatever other reasons need to re-install (I am very close to loosing two modules due to that).

I, as long as nobody shows me a representative survey, would consider both groups equally big (though I personally would tend to guess that no-internet-group is smaller).
So just based on that we could only say that the old system disadvantaged users and the new one also.

On the other hand it seems that ED wants some DRM mechanic. So no matter which system we use there will always be one group that gets disadvantaged. The goal would be to identify the smallest group, I'd say. But that's really hard. A poll is already good, the best we can do in a forum like this to get an overview.

Currently it reads that about half of the users tend to <= 30 days whereas the other half says >30 days.
I can't tell how many are against the system but I would guess that they would rather tend to pick 90 in the poll. So maybe it's near 50:50.

Last edited by Zabuza; 12-07-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #622
grunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
Logged in this morning to check on this thread and found it has been moved from, "Eagle Dynamics New DRM Expiration Period Limit" to "AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE" and I'm curious why?
The two threads were merged.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #623
huggy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
Logged in this morning to check on this thread and found it has been moved from, "Eagle Dynamics New DRM Expiration Period Limit" to "AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE" and I'm curious why?

Seems to me since this thread has mentioned several times that ED plans to retroactively convert existing modules to this new DRM approach, that this thread should be titled in a way to reach as many current module owners as possible, not imply that it only affects those purchasing the AV-8B module

A plan to change the DRM approach for all module owners should invite all module owners to learn and comment
I live on a yacht and I use mobile wifi to play this game online. I also have purchased missions so I actually like to play offline with the many hundreds of dollars of modules I purchased with the knowledge I would be able to play both offline and online. could you please explain to me how I can play with all my stuff when I am cruising up the remote Queensland coast? I may be traveling out of wifi and phone coverage areas for weeks at a time, I may be stuck in an anchorage waiting for good weather or I may just be staying out for pleasure. please explain. thanks Huggy.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #624
Huckle

Based on the last day's additions, it appears as though my ability to play offline when I want is going to be kneecappped so ED can turn my desktop into a marketplace. I've noticed it was heading in thus direction since the modules were listed along the bottom of the opening screen, but didn't suspect they'd force this on me. Might as well play on a console.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #625
WytchCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunf View Post
The two threads were merged.
I figured that. My point was why make a thread (and poll) that affects every DCS user to ever purchase a module appear under a title that seems to only affect those that purchased the AV-8B
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #626
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
The new features that can come with the new DRM have some good upsides...there is a concern about the flip side of giving them full control however. They would now have the ability to suspend/revoke your ability to play the modules you purchased quite easily...just like suspending your ability to use the forums.

I think it would be disastrous for them to do so...but anything is possible.

This is sheer nonsense and fear mongering. We have rules on the forums, if those rules are adhered to there is no issue, 99% of the forum membership get this.

As such, when you buy the game, you adhere to rules, the EUA, those ones state that you can lose your rights to the license if you break that agreement.

The forums and the EUA for the game are separate entities. No one banned or suspended from the forums has ever lost their access to DCS. No one ever will.

To suggest that the DRM would be abused because someone has a grudge is highly insulting and disrespectful. ED is not doing anything that any other software company is doing to protect their livelihood. And they shouldn't be shamed for that either.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #627
cthulhu68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
You can change your hardware or install modules as many times as you like, you will not loose your module. It's yours, forever (as long as you have access to your account).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
It's just that the current DRM system (Starforce) also restricts customers from their bought modules. It's even forever and not only temporarily.

I mean it's just another group of people that is affected by the new DRM mechanic (the ones without internet) whereas the old system affects people that frequently change their hardware or for whatever other reasons need to re-install (I am very close to loosing two modules due to that).

Just like to point out that there is no risk of you losing a module or having to re-purchase with Starforce. If you run out of activations you're furnished with one a month from that point forward.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #628
MonnieRock

Send a message via ICQ to MonnieRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
ED is not doing anything that any other software company is doing to protect their livelihood. And they shouldn't be shamed for that either.

Consumers in this thread / poll are not doing anything that any other consumer is doing to protect their investment. And they shouldn't be shamed for that either.

As stated before, if all DLC for DCSW that is available on Steam, was purchased today at the Steam Store, that would be $1,224.57 USD.
Reference: Steam Store DCSW

Happy Simming,
Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | i7-4960x @ 5ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Superclocked w/ EK Waterblock | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in RAID 0 | Lepa 1600w PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/20cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #629
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

In previous Starforce discussions, the point was often made that activations would generate at a rate of one per month after all activations have been used up, thus reassuring us that we could continue playing and activating DCS if ED ever went out of business and/or the activation servers went offline.

Of course I'm hoping for a bright future for ED, but if the company were to go out of business, what reassurance do we have that we will be able to play DCS after that?

Edit: OTOH I must admit that the prospect of an offline only mode isn't too bright, either. If the login servers go down and we can't do MP, DCS would lose about 98% if its appeal to me, and I wouldn't care all that much if it was still available in SP.

Last edited by Yurgon; 12-07-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #630
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonnieRock View Post
Consumers in this thread / poll are not doing anything that any other consumer is doing to protect their investment. And they shouldn't be shamed for that either.

As stated before, if all DLC for DCSW that is available on Steam, was purchased today at the Steam Store, that would be $1,224.57 USD.
Reference: Steam Store DCSW

Happy Simming,
Monnie
Nobody is trying to steal your investment... again. Doesn't take a locksmith to unlock that secret.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread