60 Calendar Days 11 2.52%
90 Calendar Days 207 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #541
MonnieRock

Send a message via ICQ to MonnieRock

Hello Everyone.

What a person does on Their vacation is their prerogative.

A person's personal opinion is Their prerogative.

In no way shape or form, a person's personal opinion should dictate what another person should or should not do on Their vacation.

In no way shape or form, a person's personal opinion should dictate how or how not another person should live Their life.

Happy Simming,
Monnie
Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | i7-4960x @ 5ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Superclocked w/ EK Waterblock | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in RAID 0 | Lepa 1600w PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/30cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution

Last edited by MonnieRock; 12-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #542
sc_neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Regardless, the point is, these polls dont even reach 1% of the ED customer base, I doubt the location would have made much of a difference, even if you had twice the votes, you are still barely scrapping the surface.
True, its a tiny amount of registered forum users. Nontheless, you don't need a very high number to get pretty accurate results. ATM 313 people have voted and if i recall my statistics training correctly (and didn't mess up the statistics calculator) at a confidence level of 95% and confidence interval of lets say 5,
we needed only 382 votes to be fairly accurate. The 44.03% for 90 days would then fall into a margin of error of -5% to +5%, thus we could be 95% certain that of those 60.000 users, between 39.03% and 49.03% would have voted for 90 days.

If we wanted a slimmer confidence interval of say 2%, we needed 2309 votes. Anyway, most scientists go with 95% confidence level and usually n=500 is accurate enough, whether you're sampling 100k or millions doesn't really matter, if you don't mess up your sampling cohort that is.

Yeah, some visibility was lost due to moving the thread down from the news section, so mainly people that saw this within the first 2 days and those actually interested in the Harrier did vote.

Lets see what ED comes up with

Last edited by sc_neo; 12-05-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #543
MonnieRock

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo View Post
True, its a tiny amount of registered forum users. Nontheless, you don't need a very high number to get pretty accurate results. ATM 313 people have voted and if i recall my statistics training correctly (and didn't mess up the statistics calculator) at a confidence level of 95% and confidence interval of lets say 5,
we needed only 382 votes to be fairly accurate. The 44.03% for 90 days would then fall into a margin of error of -5% to +5%, thus we could be 95% certain that of those 60.000 users, between 39.03% and 49.03% would have voted for 90 days.

If we wanted a slimmer confidence interval of say 2%, we needed 2309 votes. Anyway, most scientists go with 95% confidence level and usually n=500 is accurate enough, whether you#re sampling 100k or millions doesn't really matter, if you don't mess up your sampling cohort that is.

Yeah, some visibility was lost due to moving the thread down from the news section, so mainly people that saw this within the first 2 days and those actually interested in the Harrier did vote.

Ahhh, The days of statistics. I remember them well. Thanks for the flashback SC_Neo

Happy Simming,
Monnie
Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | i7-4960x @ 5ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Superclocked w/ EK Waterblock | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in RAID 0 | Lepa 1600w PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/30cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution
Old 12-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #544
NineLine
Community Manager

True, but ED cant design anything around everyone's personal prerogative can they? I would guess most people that go on vacation don't go for the joy of playing DCS in some exotic area? If you have to plan for Joe Blo that likes to sip wine on the beach and drop JDAMs, its gonna get pretty tough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonnieRock View Post
Hello Everyone.

In no way shape or form, a person's personal opinion should dictate what another person should or should not do on Their vacation.

In no way shape or form, a person's personal opinion should dictate how or how not another person should live Their life.

Happy Simming,
Monnie
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #545
jef32

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jef32
The majority is now for 90 days, the nearest option of the old system ( option you'd take care to not proposing in the vote ). The message isn't clear enough ED ?
Sithspawn said:

Just to be clear, that is 124 votes out of 60,000+ forums members
This is the principle of polls. A sample of persons gives an idea of the opinions of all the community.

Last edited by jef32; 12-06-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #546
NineLine
Community Manager

If the world has told us anything over the last few years is that polls are quite unreliable, as well as the mathematical solutions for guesstimating the outcome of things... at the end of the day, ED needs something that will protect their IP and be the best for what they think their userbase needs. I am confident they will get there.

Quote:

If we wanted a slimmer confidence interval of say 2%, we needed 2309 votes. Anyway, most scientists go with 95% confidence level and usually n=500 is accurate enough, whether you're sampling 100k or millions doesn't really matter, if you don't mess up your sampling cohort that is.

ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #547
MonnieRock

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would guess most people that go on vacation don't go for the joy of playing DCS in some exotic area?

Quote:
If you have to plan for Joe Blo that likes to sip wine on the beach and drop JDAMs, its gonna get pretty tough...

Maybe to some ethics to ponder.

Does "Joe Blo" any more or less consumer rights than any other consumer?

Would that be a form of discrimination?

Happy Simming,
Monnie

Last edited by MonnieRock; 12-06-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #548
WytchCrypt

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for this flashback to 1984 as a QA statistician at Apple in the early days of the Fremont CA Mac factory...and yes, Apple actually did all their manufacturing in the US once upon a time

Constant arguments with the manufacturing guys. I'd tell them our sample inspection and reliability analysis showed there was a 95% probability we were shipping at least 10% defective Macs out to the field that would fail within the first 1000 hours of use. Their response was always the same: unless you can tell me it's 100% true, I'm not doing anything about it. So they didn't...and 20% of the early Macs came streaming back with heating failures

Of course, that had absolutely nothing with the fact that a certain Mr Jobs completely refused to put cooling fans in his beautiful Mac

The moral of the story? Ignore statistics at your peril
Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #549
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonnieRock View Post
Maybe to some ethics to ponder.

Not really, I expressed my opinion, and I am of the opinion that most people don't haul their DCS rig along when they go camping or sit on a beach somewhere, it's my opinion, based on your statements, I am allowed to have and share that.

Most examples are not vacations anyways, they are deployments, or taken somewhere for a job. SO not sure why you are so hung up on the vacation thing, but have at it.
**How to Report a Bug**

Last edited by NineLine; 12-06-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:23 AM   #550
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
Wow! Thanks for this flashback to 1984 as a QA statistician at Apple in the early days of the Fremont CA Mac factory...and yes, Apple actually did all their manufacturing in the US once upon a time

Constant arguments with the manufacturing guys. I'd tell them our sample inspection and reliability analysis showed there was a 95% probability we were shipping at least 10% defective Macs out to the field that would fail within the first 1000 hours of use. Their response was always the same: unless you can tell me it's 100% true, I'm not doing anything about it. So they didn't...and 20% of the early Macs came streaming back with heating failures

Of course, that had absolutely nothing with the fact that a certain Mr Jobs completely refused to put cooling fans in his beautiful Mac

The moral of the story? Ignore statistics at your peril
Hardly similar to the situation we find ourselves in right now though.... with DCS. And the poll doesn't contain all the options ED is looking at for their new DRM, so kinda takes the air out of the poll even more.
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread