21 Calendar Days 10 2.29%
30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month ) 154 35.24%
60 Calendar Days 11 2.52%
90 Calendar Days 207 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #511
sc_neo

hrm...i would think they reimburse the rightful holder of the credit card. Again, unless ED feels it necessary to further explain in detail what they are trying to achieve and why some measures would suffice and others are not really suitable, we are a bit clueless, i am afraid.

Not the smartest move by ED i would think. Its advisable to explain exactly what you want to achieve with a change that in all likelyhood they have known would be contentious. I mean, if they explained ''here folks, thats whats going in significants numbers in todays 'e-commerce online world' and we see this happening all the time (to you customers and us developers)...and thats what we're trying to accomplish...'', people here might have reacted a bit different. Anyway, i am sure they read our well intentioned proposions and maybe some of it fits their bill.

Cheers mate
Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #512
Johnny_Rico

Kinda confused here regarding the fraud bit

If a vendor when selling goods follows the correct authentication/verification procedure as laid down by the credit/debit card companies
to verify a purchase made by a card is legit have they not done their due diligence ?
and after the "goods" eg key have been handed over is it not the credit card companies problem ?
The vendor does he have to return the money ? and thereby loose money (of course he can revoke the key)

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE
Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203
SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245
Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Last edited by Johnny_Rico; 12-04-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:52 AM   #513
WytchCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico View Post
Kinda confused here regarding the fraud bit

If a vendor when selling goods follows the correct authentication/verification procedure as laid down by the credit/debit card companies
to verify a purchase made by a card is legit have they not done their due diligence ?
and after the "goods" eg key have been handed over is it not the credit card companies problem ?
Wishful thinking my friend

I handle the accounting for my wife's marketing biz. For the first time in 12 years, we had a client that paid with a stolen credit card last year. Here's what actually happened:

1) Client signed a contract and paid $699 for services with a credit card. The $699 was deposited to our merchant account (less ~3% merchant fee).

2) We provided the services as promised.

3) A month later, Visa contacted us to report the owner of the card was disputing the charge and that they had taken back the $699 from our merchant account. We had 30 days to present our side of the case of why the charge was valid and if we proved our case, they would return the $699. In the merchant processing world, this is known as the dreaded, "chargeback".

4) I believed the client was trying to claim we didn't do the work as defined in the contract, so I presented Visa with the signed contract and emails proving the work was completed as promised.

5) Visa denied my claim saying that once again, the owner of the credit card still disputed the charge.

6) At that point, I realized what had actually happened. The client paid for our services with a stolen card. When the actual card holder received the bill, he rightfully disputed the charge so Visa took it back from us and we were SOL.

It would be nice to believe that as a vendor who did everything correct with a signed contract and followed the credit card companies own rules for validating cards, that the credit card company would eat the fraudulent charge and not hold us accountable, no such luck. Credit card companies are not in the business of giving away money...if so they wouldn't have an exception in the US tax code allowing them to violate the usury laws everyone else is held to...but that's another story

The fact is, when people pay with a stolen card, it's the vendor who accepted that card that is ultimately out both the funds and the product/service they provided...regardless of how diligent they were in validating the card.

It's part of the cost of doing business
Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 AM   #514
MonnieRock

Send a message via ICQ to MonnieRock

WytchCrypt,

Do you go through a credit card processing company or does your wife's business process the credit cards?

Happy Simming,
Monnie
Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | i7-4960x @ 5ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Superclocked w/ EK Waterblock | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in RAID 0 | Lepa 1600w PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/30cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #515
MaverickScot

ED if you are using Denuvo then this will be the last module I buy. I for one do not want anything on my computer that I do not need. I felt it was sneaky to impose this after I had prepaid for the Harrier and I request to know who's protection system you are using. There was nothing wrong with the old system that I'm aware of and that was linked to your account. DRM only hurts people who legitimately buy products.

I would agree as others have mentioned. I would like to have seen remove this DRM option.

Last edited by MaverickScot; 12-05-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Space bar not functioning as expected...lol
Old 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #516
jafa

Here we go again, Ive seen this time and time again over the years , its pointless , if someone wants to hack or steal from us the customers or ED themselves there is no security system that cannot be hacked or broken this has been proven many times before , all it will achieve is endless complaints and arguments , I travel allot and have spent weeks and longer without any internet connection - not everyone lives in the heart of NY/PARIS or LONDON

Just my two cents...
Jafa
Old 12-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #517
jef32

The majority is now for 90 days, the nearest option of the old system ( option you'd take care to not proposing in the vote ). The message isn't clear enough ED ?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #518
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef32 View Post
The majority is now for 90 days, the nearest option of the old system ( option you'd take care to not proposing in the vote ). The message isn't clear enough ED ?
Just to be clear, that is 124 votes out of 60,000+ forums members. But regardless, ED has already been reviewing this since last week. They should have news soon.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #519
DieHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
IMPORTANT: AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE!

Dear all,

With the release of the AV-8B today, it is import to know that this will be the first DCS World product that uses our new protection system. Rather than use StarForce keys, we are moving to a “keyless” system which binds your purchase to your www.dcs-world.com username, and NOT a key. You will not need a constant internet connection either. The new system will just “phone home” after a three day period or the next time you log into DCS World.

This new system will also provide benefits for Steam users and Gifting. Once those details are worked out, we look forward to sharing them with you.

We strongly believe that this will make protection of your DCS World products much more simple. At a later point, we hope to apply this same protection system to all of our other modules.

Also, the AV-8B release today is for the Open Beta version of DCS World. Please make sure you use this version and that you update it today.

We must release all new aircraft modules on the Caucasus map first as not everyone may operate one of the DCS 2.1 maps. We don't believe it fair to force customers to purchase one of these maps to fly their new aircraft. We do though plan to update DCS 2.1 for the AV-8B in the next one to two weeks.

Thanks,
The Eagle Dynamics Team
Been with DCS 7 or 8 years and have most of the inventory.

I will not be buying anything new from DCS until I see how this newbie issue plays out.

I will give it awhile, watch and see.

By the way : DCS is the only game / sim I play .

Don't go screwing it up... I will say bye-bye if you'all screw it up !!

Last edited by DieHard; 12-05-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #520
WytchCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonnieRock View Post
WytchCrypt,

Do you go through a credit card processing company or does your wife's business process the credit cards?

Happy Simming,
Monnie
Hi Monnie,

at the time of the incident I described we were running our credit cards through Intuit Merchant Processing. I'd physically run the cards myself, but it would be through the Intuit online portal or as part of a Quickbooks entry. We've recently moved on to Elavon for a much lower merchant processing fee and luckily have not had another "chargeback". I really can't complain though, 12 years running cards and only 1 fraudulent charge makes for a pretty good average

I think I see what you're getting at. Perhaps if we were paying a third party to do our processing, that the contract would be written that they would take the hit on fraudulent charges?

Dennis