Any kind of nightime runway and taxiway lighting cheats?

DaveRindner

Self explanatory.

In any flyable type without nightvision, landing at night is impossible. If there is fog and night, it is totally impossible. So F-5E, Mig-21Bis (without NVG mod), SU-27, J-11A, F-15C, SU-25/25T, cannot be operated in nightime in Normandy.

I guess maybe there should low power runway and taxi lights. Or torches.

A-10C with NVG ON, no problem, at night, as long as fog is not too dense.

There are spotlight trucks in the Caucasus map. I'm not sure if its a place-able unit in the mission editor (I would look under Russian ground vehicles or static objects in the vehicle tab in the ME) but if it is, just place one on either side of the runway for night operations. The map is supposed to be representative of 1944 WWII era runways. Although runway lights were in use during that period in history, they were rarely used at night during the war to avoid detection from enemy aircraft.

Runway illumination was used at night, during departure and recovery of aircraft. Otherwise base would be under emission control(EMCON). For military purposes, light is considered an emission , just like radio, and radar.

In Normandy the kickplate metal of expeditionary runway is almost same color as surrounding ground. But on all RW historical reels, even B&W, runways and taxiways standout at close range, and are somewhat darker and less saturated with green.

I wonder if barrage balloons are effective against fast jets Gen3 and higher. Would the cables rip off wings. In Nevada, in Mig-21bis. I specifically flew between powerline towers and snagging a power line, just to see what would happen. In a 21, there is a metallic clang and snap sound, but the aircraft keeps flying without damage indicator lights (Xmas tree lights) Even ext tanks are not damaged.