[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

This means that they would have to re-write the game requirements page and make minimum GPU, a RTX. Even a 1080 ti would become unsupported at this point. Honestly, although I'd love to see this kind of technological improvements in this game, I don't see this happening anytime in the next 3 years.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/

[b]Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings):[/b] OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation. 

Ray Tracing has been around since the 80s. Is amazing what branding does to people...for instance the PS5 uses Ray Tracing to process audio as well yet people keep talking about RTX as raytracing when every major movie they've seen if they're younger than 40 has some form of Ray Tracing in it. Here's the scenario when it comes to REAL TIME Ray Tracing, not ALL of the raytracing processes that require real time response like the Tensor Cores on Nvidia "RTX" cards are necessary to emulate radar and the CPU might take some of the overload. Heck even some of the Ray Tracing modules out there that do code injection for games(Think Witcher 3) use the regular video card processing cores to do REAL time Ray tracing. RTX was simple an strategy for NVIDA to push their AI cores and have the gaming market become cash cows to test and feed their real business: AI. The fact that they bought ARM and that their Tegra processor is TWICE on every new Tesla car says it all.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, DocSigma said:

I for one am very excited to see performance improvements with Vulkan. I don't play many other games on my computer besides DCS, but one game i have played is DOOM Eternal. I mention this because it uses Vulkan and although its not a simulator, it is graphically intensive with lots of stuff going on at any one time. On my system playing that in 2k at full maxed settings - nightmare settings - I get anywhere from 250-300fps - performance is outstanding. Again, its not a fair comparison, but its just a very positive example of an excellently performing title using Vulkan.

I too play Doom Eternal, maxed out. if DCS on Vulkan ran even HALF as well, it would be amazing.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:18 PM, BitMaster said:

Would Vulkan increase my FPS when I am already at 99% GPU ? NO, it cannot do wonders !

Would Vulkan take some load of the "1" core that basically runs DCS and thus make my minimum FPS be higher ? Likely Yes imho.

THAT is what Vulkan can deliver to us, free up the main core so it can do MORE DCS and LESS GPU. Let other cores do the work and let the 1 core take care of DCS in a better way.

That is what I think Vulkan will be for DCS

Yes please

use us.PNG

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark