vLSO and other CV Ops Interest Thread

Dino Might

Correct me if I'm wrong but the grade comes from the Plat not the LSO platform irl. Thats just where the LSO stands, but the landing is graded based on the Plat recording.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the LSO grades the pass while standing on the platform. During the pass, the LSO uses the PLAT to judge line-up, but assessing position on the glide slope is better done from the platform based on subtle cues like aspect, etc. Also, some of the details of the pass are harder to see on the PLAT from what I've heard. But again, I could be mistaken on the grading process.

-Nick

So, what I'm getting from this is that the mod does most of what we might want in the near future, with the exception of automatic calls and grading.

I'm really interested in a single player version that could be used offline (or online without anyone manning the LSO station), because I can't expect to always have a human LSO player when I want to play. Any indications on work towards an AI LSO from the modders? I really hope ED/HB would have a solid system in place on F-14 or F/A-18 beta release, but I'm not confident in that. I expect they will have a good system up and running after they release the full fidelity carriers, but it would be nice to have something on the current Nimitz for both the short term and for those who either don't pick up the two upcoming aircraft (thinking about eventual group training missions where all participants don't have every module, like me).

Edited by Dino Might

• 2 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong but the grade comes from the Plat not the LSO platform irl. Thats just where the LSO stands, but the landing is graded based on the Plat recording.

IRL, LSO's ( which are pilots from that squadron) use the PLAT CAM as a tool to grade each landing on the LSO Platform. They mark errors as they see them. last they do is record the wire that is caught.

FC3 | UH-1H | A-10C | F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | P-51D | F-5E | AV-8B |

Caucasus | Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | The Channel |

SuperCarrier |

hMRiXDw3ogs

Having created the PLAT cam mod back around 2010 and developed the VFA-113 grading system with a real USN Hornet pilot I highly recommend squadrons consider adopting a similar grading system to ours.

Pilots react badly to grades less than OK and you really need to be able to define the difference between an OK or a FAIR.

I have seen so many people become resentful during Carrier Quals because they assume there is some sort of bias against them.

Before the PLAT cam VNAO used to have regular ramp strikes every week back in the late 2000s. Since we started PLAT cam grading I can’t remember the last time a Stinger planted it into the fantail.

The LSO shorthand you see is real USN LSO shorthand and excellent for trend monitoring. This particular video really hammered FAW because I was tired of typing that next to the same names every week.

IRL, LSO's ( which are pilots from that squadron) use the PLAT CAM as a tool to grade each landing on the LSO Platform. They mark errors as they see them. last they do is record the wire that is caught.

Right.....confirmation?

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

IRL I am lead to believe the PLAT cam is primarily a line-up only tool with glideslope being judged by the waving LSO purely visually. This takes viewing hundreds of approaches and many hours of training at sea and at the field. I think the grading is purely based on how much deviations the LSO saw and how good your corrections were.

To emulate this with fellow squad mates could be achievable but would be a huge time investment and I don’t know that the current visual clarity in VR is up to it. We have a hard time spotting FAST (low AOA) aircraft in VR (the nose gear AOA light might change this).

It would also render the grades ‘subjective’ and that quickly leads to bruised egos amongst virtual pilots in my experience.

Once we had a pilot yell ‘B—S—-!” at our old fully virtual LSO when he disagreed with a line-up call. Swearing at our LSOs is a guaranteed one-way ticket out of VFA-113, they are god behind the boat.

I think JAR has it right. If you listen to the FP podcast where they interview an LSO on CASE I recoveries, that is how the LSO describes using the PLAT (for line up) and that the LSOs mainly use their eyeballs to grade the pass. Also, when you see pics of the controlling LSO, they are not even looking at the PLAT, just the jet.

JAR, I second Sage's question and kudos! Hope the PLAT overlay is part of DCS plans or we can all use the one you created in the past. Would be cool if DCS gave some love to the LSO platform as well for us virtual LSOs in the payware carrier (funtional pickle switch and PLAT tv PIP oh my).

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Thanks guys I’ve got some stuff running for 2.5.1 but am waiting to see what arrives with Hornet / Stennis before I go too far with it.

Teetwo the VFA-113 PLAT cam overlay I make is no longer relevant for the new LSO view incorporated into DCS, am working on new ones.

Thanks guys I’ve got some stuff running for 2.5.1 but am waiting to see what arrives with Hornet / Stennis before I go too far with it.

Teetwo the VFA-113 PLAT cam overlay I make is no longer relevant for the new LSO view incorporated into DCS, am working on new ones.

Late to the conversation, but completly agree your old PLAT was awesome and a great tool. Would love to see a modern version of it. And your exactly right short of having an actual NAVY LSO with all the skill and hours of experience(which we've had on the LSO platform in VR and that was awesome) the only fair way for a non Navy Trained LSO to grade passes would be to use an objective tool like yours.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord