Maps size

Phil C6

There has to be some room for playability. My assumption:

Different amount of details, mountains/hills and lakes/sea/ocean define the size of the map in which you still can play while having decent performance AND not simply overfill your probably limited storage capacity.

If one wants to model a given real world area, the map will be different sizes between maps.

And there can be a political reasons, business reasons, time reasons, resources (detail) reasons etc why some areas are not included in details.

But why would it matter if example maps are in hundreds of kilometres per side?

Like one map to be a 300 x 500 km and another a 400 x 600 km, then I don't see why should we have all in same size?

Take example a Norwegian Sea. It is big area with mostly water. So it can be made very big as the land surface area is not so large part of it. That opens up a option to make hue naval fleet combats while there is just little detail to spent for ground areas. This means we could example have a 2000 x 1000 km area with very little about Norway, greenland and so on for possible naval /air bases. And then just have fleets missions there.

1794116813_NorveianSea.thumb.jpg.b5a76e6a56c2901dd2673c0e2dbe2835.jpg

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 6 months later...

Hmm... is there conflict brewing between Norway, Greenland and Iceland is trapped in the middle? 

Or is Iceland finally unleashing it's plans for world domination?!?

Or is Greenland looking to defend itself from people fleeing to there to ride out the infection or asteroid?

The challenge in my opinion with the above example, is that all the land will be on the edges,so anytime you start on an airfield you will immediately hit the edge so in theory the map above would be constantly criticised for being 'empty/low quality' etc.  There was an indication at one point that this was a consideration for not adding NAS Fallon (I think?) to Nevada, it would be right on the edge, so when starting there if heading away from the centre of the map you would be almost immediately into undetailed terrain.  In practice you want the detailed terrain in the middle getting less detailed as you extend out,, which is evidenced with the way Marinaras is being handled. 

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png