Need Dynamic Weather Help

rayrayblues

Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn how to edit Dynamic Weather and I'm using

a tutorial from AirGoons. https://www.airgoons.com/w/DCS_Reference/Editing_Dynamic_Weather

There are instructions for placing weather systems in a trigger zone for easy sizing, location and multiple systems.

I extracted the mission file from the .miz and made a cyclone the same size and location (X-Y Axis)

as a trigger zone using Notepad++. All good so far, but I'm stuck on this point:

"Step 4: Re-inserting the mission file

Go back to the zip manipulation tool and do the reverse of the extraction process. Take your newly edited mission file and copy it back into the .miz file. "

What is the reverse of the extraction process?

How do I use 7zip to re-insert the "mission" file into the .miz file.

Anybody??? :helpsmilie:

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Should be as simple as drag and drop if you can open the .miz file with 7zip, or you've renamed it to .zip or .rar

I use Winrar and set it to open .miz files without having to rename them.

All I do is open the .miz with Winrar then drag and drop whatever file into it and close Winrar, done. You can drag and drop stuff out and in to extract and insert.

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Hunter_5E

Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn how to edit Dynamic Weather and I'm using

a tutorial from AirGoons. https://www.airgoons.com/w/DCS_Reference/Editing_Dynamic_Weather

There are instructions for placing weather systems in a trigger zone for easy sizing, location and multiple systems.

I extracted the mission file from the .miz and made a cyclone the same size and location (X-Y Axis)

as a trigger zone using Notepad++. All good so far, but I'm stuck on this point:

"Step 4: Re-inserting the mission file

Go back to the zip manipulation tool and do the reverse of the extraction process. Take your newly edited mission file and copy it back into the .miz file. "

What is the reverse of the extraction process?

How do I use 7zip to re-insert the "mission" file into the .miz file.

Anybody??? :helpsmilie:

Whenever I’ve tried to use 7-Zip to recompress the file, the mission ends up corrupted. Instead I use the Win10 “Send to” menu item and select “Compressed folder” so that a new mission file is created.

Select all the files that go into the mission file, right click, select “send to” and proceed from there.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

So this can be done with 7-zip as well.

A .miz file is literally a zip file (in the technical sense) which is why 7-zip, winzip and winrar can handle it.

So here are the steps:

1. Extract the .miz you have to a spot
  2. Edit the mission file
  3. Select all within the folder (not the folder itself) and right click 7-zip -> add to "folder name".zip
  4. Rename the resulting zip in the folder to .miz

The biggest thing that tends to go wrong (and break DCS) is when the archiving software creates a top level folder within the archive.

When opening the .miz you made, make sure you see the default files (mission, theatre, etc.)

P.s. to alter the extension, these need to be shown. If they are not, look here: https://support.winzip.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011457948-How-to-configure-Windows-to-show-file-extensions-and-hidden-files

Whenever I’ve tried to use 7-Zip to recompress the file, the mission ends up corrupted.

This is what happened to me with whatever compression method I tried. That's why I set Winrar to open the .miz files directly.

Doing it this way makes it very simple - double click to open, drag stuff out, edit it then drag and drop back in (overwrite original still in .miz), close the file. You can easily delete or add stuff within the .miz file, like a custom config\views folder for example.

Also has the big advantage of maintaining the original compression format used by DCS. No need to extract the whole thing or recompress after playing around with it.

For Windows 10:

Screenshot 1 = Show hidden file extensions (best to have this on - hidden files not necessary but handy)

Screenshot 2 = Set Winrar to open .miz files (same procedure for 7zip or other app)

486314385_Filenameextensions.jpg.f2bd513fb46808dc5a5a9a2d0fb923b5.jpg

240541920_SetWinrartoopenmiz.thumb.jpg.489cbe4a18d9d053c234c9d2c374a71f.jpg

Edited by Hunter_5E

This is what happened to me with whatever compression method I tried. That's why I set Winrar to open the .miz files directly.

Doing it this way makes it very simple - double click to open, drag stuff out, edit it then drag and drop back in (overwrite original still in .miz), close the file. You can easily delete or add stuff within the .miz file, like a custom config\views folder for example.

Also has the big advantage of maintaining the original compression format used by DCS. No need to extract the whole thing or recompress after playing around with it.

For Windows 10:

Screenshot 1 = Show hidden file extensions (best to have this on - hidden files not necessary but handy)

Screenshot 2 = Set Winrar to open .miz files (same procedure for 7zip or other app)

:) You need to realize that I’m a dinosaur. So I tend to do things the hard way. At any rate, I prefer to generate a new ZIP file with the altered material. That way, if something goes wrong, the original file remains unaltered.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.