3Dmigoto VR mod for DCS : Label masking, color enhancement, sharpen, FXAA, copy/paste of radio MSG,....

19 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Hello,

Here are some measurement I made with Fraps, scenario = SU25T instant action",  "Persian Gulf", takeoff, steamVR SS at 100%, no SS in game.

No mod, no MSAA
Frames: 2182 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 72.733 - Min: 68 - Max: 78

No mod, MSAAX2
Frames: 1965 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 65.500 - Min: 62 - Max: 69

No mod, MSAAX4
Frames: 1648 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 54.933 - Min: 52 - Max: 57

Mod, MSAA0X, all options off => mod cost 1 to 2 fps.
Frames: 2191 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 73.033 (vs 73 with no mod)- Min: 67 - Max: 76

Mod, MSAA0X, color + cockpit sharpen => sharpen cost ~10%
Frames: 1965 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 65.500 (vs 73 with no mod) - Min: 60 - Max: 69

Mod, MSAA0X, color + cockpit sharpen + FXAA => FXAA cost nearly nothing
Frames: 1947 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 64.900 - Min: 59 - Max: 68

Mod, MSAA0X, color + 7.4 cockpit sharpen + FXAA => no difference between old and new sharpen
Frames: 1888 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 62.933 - Min: 59 - Max: 67

Mod, MSAA2X, all options off => -10% even if no option are on

Frames: 1793 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 59.767 (vs 65 with no mod) - Min: 56 - Max: 63

Mod, MSAA2X, all options on => only few fps lost versus no options !
Frames: 1740 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 58.000 - Min: 55 - Max: 61

So yes, the mod is not liking to much MSAA...Even if I disable all pre and post processing it did not achieve more than 61 fps at mean, instead of 65.

But at the end, you have the same fps loss than MSAA2X it you use sharpen.

You can also notice that sharpen+FXAA on MSAA0x give finally nearly same fps than MSAA2X without mod. Did you try it ?

I did not see any fps loss when in Map, I was at 90 fps...

If I'm looking at this right, with MSAAX2, no mod Avg: 65.500 (7 FPS hit), and with No MSAA, Mod with color + cockpit sharpen + FXAA Avg: 64.900 (8 FPS hit).  And then if you turn it all on:  MSAA2X, Mod with color + cockpit sharpen + FXAA Avg: 58.000 (15 FPS hit).  That's the sum of the other two options by themselves.  MSAAX2 gives you a 7 FPS hit and the mod with all on gives an additional 8 FPS hit for a total of 15 FPS.  That's worth it to me.

3 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

If I'm looking at this right, with MSAAX2, no mod Avg: 65.500 (7 FPS hit), and with No MSAA, Mod with color + cockpit sharpen + FXAA Avg: 64.900 (8 FPS hit).  And then if you turn it all on:  MSAA2X, Mod with color + cockpit sharpen + FXAA Avg: 58.000 (15 FPS hit).  That's the sum of the other two options by themselves.  MSAAX2 gives you a 7 FPS hit and the mod with all on gives an additional 8 FPS hit for a total of 15 FPS.  That's worth it to me.

Well, there is something  strange. I do not understand why sharpen takes so many fps vs FXAA, I though that FXAA shader was much more complex, with more sampling, a loop...

I also do not understand why MSAA  creates a different behaviour than non MSAA, with fps loss without any option triggered on.

I will look and try to improve...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Going to be honest here. I didnt want to scroll through 19 pages of stuff to find one answer. So...

Can just the NVG portion be extracted from this mod? I hate the current version that covers the entire FOV. I've flown on NVGs and want to look under them at gauges, as this mod allows. But I dont need the other stuff. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Going to be honest here. I didnt want to scroll through 19 pages of stuff to find one answer. So...

Can just the NVG portion be extracted from this mod? I hate the current version that covers the entire FOV. I've flown on NVGs and want to look under them at gauges, as this mod allows. But I dont need the other stuff. 

Thanks

Count me in on that. Or even better, if ED could integrate this part into VR-options like they integrated some other mod that I saw once in the DCS changelog.

6 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Thanks

No.  It will add too much work to split the mod into parts and maintain them. Theorically, setting options off should allow you to have no fps impact, that's not the case for MSAA I will try to fix it.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

What is in 8.2v? The 8.1v has 11Mb, 8.2v has 120Mb....

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

33 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I just forgot to clean shadercache directory. You can remove all files in it.

Can you upload the new version? I dont know what should be deleted, thank you.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

17 hours ago, YoYo said:

Can you upload the new version? I dont know what should be deleted, thank you.

I'm working on performance. I think I find were the problem is (at least for MSAA 0X), but I need to confirm and clean up things. Then I will publish the new version.

If I'm not wrong, it's a bit tricky, just a matter of using two "if" instead of an "if/else"...Not so intuitive...It won't change fps when all options will be on, but it will increase them for intermediate settings. Maybe it will also improve MSAAx2, I do not know yet..

• Thanks 1

It was more tricky than I though, but the V9.0 version is available in first post and will provide better performance.

Here are some fps comparison with this new version (still with Fraps, scenario = SU25T instant action",  "Persian Gulf", takeoff, steamVR SS at 100%, no SS in game):

• No mod, no MSAA
    Frames: 2270 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 75.667 - Min: 71 - Max: 78
  • No mod MSAA2X
    Frames: 1987 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 66.233 - Min: 63 - Max: 68
  • No mod MSAA4X
    Frames: 1658 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 55.267 - Min: 52 - Max: 57

• with mod, no MSAA, no sharpen, no FXAA: 75.6 => 73.3
    Frames: 2200 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 73.333 - Min: 67 - Max: 77
  • with mod, no MSAA, sharpen, no FXAA : 75.6=> 70.6 (was 65.5 before)
    Frames: 2118 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 70.600 - Min: 57 - Max: 74
  • with mod, no MSAA, sharpen, FXAA : 75.6=> 70.6 (was 64.9 before), FXAA cost nearly nothing
    Frames: 2119 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 70.633 - Min: 64 - Max: 74

• with mod, MSAAX2, no sharpen: 66.2 => 62.9 (was 59.7 before)
    Frames: 1889 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 62.967 - Min: 59 - Max: 66
  • with mod, MSAAX2, sharpen: 66.2 => 62.1 (was 58 before)
    Frames: 1865 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 62.167 - Min: 58 - Max: 65

• with mod, MSAAX4, no sharpen: 55.2 => 51.9 
    Frames: 1559 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 51.967 - Min: 48 - Max: 54
  • with mod, MSAAX4, sharpen: 55.2 => 50.1
    Frames: 1503 - Time: 30000ms - Avg: 50.100 - Min: 46 - Max: 52

Now, fps loss are more or less the same, whatever the MSAA (~3 fps of penality for the mod, 2 or 3 more for sharpen, nearly nothing for FXAA). To be notice, FXAA strengh is defined for the moment in user_settings\user_var_initialization.ini, field $FXAA_EDGE_THRESHOLD = 2.0. Increasing the value will increase the area that will be antialiased.
I may setup later this option in menu, as a dedicated sharpen factor for HUD.
By the way the V9 also give control on reflection of A10CII jauges glasses. I do not feel them reallistic at all.

Edited by lefuneste01

Where does this Mod store the settings you enter in its menus?

I switched to v9.0 now from the previous version and thought I needed to go into the menus again to enter the settings I wanted for the NVGs but they where already there so I did not have to. I looked in Saved Games but could not make out a file where the settings are stored there.

3 hours ago, Fisherman82 said:

Where does this Mod store the settings you enter in its menus?

I switched to v9.0 now from the previous version and thought I needed to go into the menus again to enter the settings I wanted for the NVGs but they where already there so I did not have to. I looked in Saved Games but could not make out a file where the settings are stored there.

settings are stored by 3Dmigoto library in d3dx_user.ini in same directory than the mod (that is where dcs.exe is). As I do not distribute the file, it should remains, that's why you keep your settings.

I just discovered that I removed the shader for labels in 9.0 version, that is fixed in 9.1 (available as usual).

I changed the shader used for menu display, to improve performance. Maybe some graphic settings are not compatible yet...

At first can you try to modify the line hunting=0 to hunting=2 in d3dx.ini, launch game and press numpad0 when in game ? You should have green text at top and bottom if mod is well installed.

If well installed, can you check if cockpit illumination is off, try with water to medium and a quick mission with su25T caucasus ?

Hello,

version 9.2 is available in first post, color enhancement was broken in some cases...

3 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

I will test this today to see how it goes.  I know that I have cockpit illumination off but I'm pretty sure water is set to high.

The menu is still diplayed (at least in 2D) with water=high in my config.

Edited by lefuneste01

Well, I've tried everything I can think of.  Versions 9.1 and 9.2 just won't work on my system.  The previous version still does.  8.1?  I've confirmed with Hunting =2 that it's loading.  In fact with 9.2 I'm now getting an error message in red text at the upper left of the loading screen referencing a value $HUDSharpenFactor = 0.8 in the user_var_initialization.ini saying it's unrecognized.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'll just stick to the previous version.  It allows me to increase the saturation, brightness and sharpness in VR.  The version that works for me has ShaderFixes that are dated from 1/9/21 so that was v8.1.

I've confirmed global cockpit illumination is off and I've tested water low or high and both 2D and 3D.  I can't get the menu to load on the newer versions.

It would also appear that 8.2 works for me.  That was the version with shaders dated 1/29/21.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Well, I've tried everything I can think of.  Versions 9.1 and 9.2 just won't work on my system.  The previous version still does.  8.1?  I've confirmed with Hunting =2 that it's loading.  In fact with 9.2 I'm now getting an error message in red text at the upper left of the loading screen referencing a value $HUDSharpenFactor = 0.8 in the user_var_initialization.ini saying it's unrecognized.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'll just stick to the previous version.  It allows me to increase the saturation, brightness and sharpness in VR.  The version that works for me has ShaderFixes that are dated from 1/9/21 so that was v8.1.

I've confirmed global cockpit illumination is off and I've tested water low or high and both 2D and 3D.  I can't get the menu to load on the newer versions.

It would also appear that 8.2 works for me.  That was the version with shaders dated 1/29/21.

I think I missed something with the 9.2 ! The red message shows I forgot to replace d3dx.ini with the one having the declaration of thie variable...I did not take time to re install the mod and test it...That's why the 9.2 is not working. But it still does not explain why others were not working for you.

I will post a 9.3 and ask you to do some testings.

New 9.3 version available in first post that should (at last) work without issue !

@gorzasty: could you confirm that you don't have the menu when in cockit, even if you have green lines with "hunting=2" ?

Edited by lefuneste01

Sorry, I'd really like to help but uninstalled DCS right now because of bad performance in VR :(

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

18 minutes ago, gorzasty said:

Sorry, I'd really like to help but uninstalled DCS right now because of bad performance in VR 😞

I do not know which helmet you have, but with the help of reprojection I found it quite playable, at 45 or even 30 fps.

HP G2 but with reprojection is not playable for me. Repro is good for mfs2020 not for quick combat. Ił2 has great VR support. Smooth dogfights and I stay there for a moment.

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2